Broken 'air filter housing', help required **1st post!**

mrcronikal

Reaction score
Hello fellow A3 owners,

I have been browsing this forum for a little while now and have finally registered as I require some help!

My 'air filter housing' box is broken and seems to be causing an awful noise - I NEED to fix it sharpish as its causing a drop in performance and also making me burn more petrol (I think!)

The 'box' right at the front of the engine (the bit more or less connected to the inside of the grill) - which has the pipe that goes to the engine is broken, one of the screws that hold it to the inside of the grill is broken and it no longer holds it in place and also the clips connected to the end of the pipe that goes to the engine are also broken.

I hope this description is sufficient for someone to shed some light on what I need to get replaced and also cost?

Well, thanks to anyone and everyone who views this and provides some help for a fellow A3'er in need! :)

Welcome to the forum ;-)

Could you please state what year and model A3 you have (I'm assuming it's petrol from your post).

Thanks

I'll get a pic up this afternoon, thanks Brodster!

It's a 1.6 FSi Sport 2006 nluk100.

Thanks

I hope you can view this image, it appears rather small on my screen :/

The bit outlined in RED is not properly connected - the clips are broken and it just 'sits' loosely where it should be.

The GREEN part has a broken screw so only sits properly on one side and is loose too.

Picture 1605 2

Try a scrappy mate as that pipe just disconnects from just under the shield on the right but you would still have mass airflow going through that pipe even if wasn't sealed correctly. I would change that intake pipe first and then see what happens.

Cool found one in a scrap yard up north (bradford) complete airbox and pipes for 50, does that price sound fair?

Also, the housing the pipe sits in, whats this called and does it really matter that the pipe doesnt sits 'airtight' in it?

Thanks again

Couldn't tell you about the price buddy as never bought anything like that. It would have to be a massive air leak for your car to run like a bag of nails as the MAF sensor should compensate for the reduction in airflow if any. Any blockage in the pipe? Could be a dodgy MAF. If any of your mates have the same car try swapping over the duct to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then you need to be looking elsewhere.

I wouldnt worry too much about that from the looks of it. Its at the front where the car scoops in plenty of cold air anyway. If it was further into the engine bay then maybe it'd be an issue from heat soak. I think ull be ok