Monster MotorsportChris Nott
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    Rockett's Avatar
    Faster!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Blackfield
    Posts
    85

    Coilovers and lowering

    Hi guys,

    You may have seen some of my other threads that point me out as being totally useless when it comes to cars well its that time again.

    I'm soon to be purchasing a set of 18" wheels and tyres to replace my 17" sports currently on there. Once i've done this i want to get the car lowered so it sits a lot better. I literally have no idea though what i need to be able to lower it. I've seen people talk about springs and coilovers but i'm unsure if that's the only thing i need or if there's more to it?

    Can i just buy a set of coilovers and take into a garage, get it fitted and it's done?

    Secondly can anyone recommend me a good but cheap set? Would ideally like to spend about £400 (don't know if this is practical or not?)

    Thanks in advance for anyone able to help

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lichfield
    Posts
    389

    Coilovers and lowering

    All you need is a set of coilovers, but make sure they're specific to your particular model else they may not fit.

    I have JOM's on mine and I'm happy with them, £220.

  4. #3
    BigWillyStyle's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    566
    Coilovers if you can afford them as the height is adjustable. All depends on what you want really.

    Have a look on Dpmperformance as they have Springs and Coilovers.

    What car will they be for?

  5. #4
    Rockett's Avatar
    Faster!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Blackfield
    Posts
    85
    It's for a 2006 A3 2.0T sport.

    Ill take a look at that website.

    Can you be more specific about what model Brad?

  6. #5
    BigWillyStyle's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockett View Post
    It's for a 2006 A3 2.0T sport.

    Ill take a look at that website.

    Can you be more specific about what model Brad?
    He means what model your car is

  7. #6
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lichfield
    Posts
    389

    Coilovers and lowering

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockett View Post
    It's for a 2006 A3 2.0T sport.

    Ill take a look at that website.

    Can you be more specific about what model Brad?
    Then you need to look for 8P1/2 A3 2.0T coilovers, specific whether it is diesel, 3/5 door etc, to ensure you get the right set!

  8. #7
    Rockett's Avatar
    Faster!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Blackfield
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWillyStyle View Post
    He means what model your car is
    I meant what model/type JOM's he has

    Found these but it says quattro, not sure if that'll make a difference or not?

    JOM Coilover Suspension Kit A3 8P 2.0T FSi Quattro, 2.0TDi Quattro, 3.2 V6 Quattro 05/03> - £180.00 : The premier online mail order VAG suspension and performance specialists. We offer a wide range of all the best branded suspension and performance

    Oh and it's a 3 door.

    Also these, although it says 2.0 and not 2.0T

    JOM Coilovers for Audi A3

  9. #8
    BigWillyStyle's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    566
    The best thing you could do is contact them and give them your Reg so they can check to be certain.

  10. #9
    Rockett's Avatar
    Faster!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Blackfield
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWillyStyle View Post
    The best thing you could do is contact them and give them your Reg so they can check to be certain.
    Good plan, i'll do that. One more thing, anyone have a rough idea the labour cost for a garage to fit this?

  11. #10
    BigWillyStyle's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    566
    All garages vary. Prices range from 120-250 from what i've seen

  12. #11

  13. #12
    Rockett's Avatar
    Faster!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Blackfield
    Posts
    85
    Thanks Damian, you posted 2 different parts there, can you tell me which one i need?

  14. #13
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,110

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Avoid JOM, go for something like AP or V-Maxx.


    "Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

    Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

  15. #14
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    2,490
    If you have £400, spend £400. Coilovers you get what you pay for (generally). AP are meant to be very good, and reasonably cheap.
    Hunt is over

    1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

  16. #15
    BigWillyStyle's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Avoid JOM, go for something like AP or V-Maxx.
    Out of curiousity, why avoid JOM?

  17. #16
    DPM
    DPM's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Newcastle/Durham
    Posts
    4,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockett View Post
    Thanks Damian, you posted 2 different parts there, can you tell me which one i need?
    What engine do you have?

    Damian @ DPM Performance
    DPM Performance
    The premier online suspension and performance specialists
    W: www.dpmperformance.co.uk
    T: 01207 561606
    E: sales@dpmperformance.co.uk

  18. #17
    Rockett's Avatar
    Faster!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Blackfield
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Avoid JOM, go for something like AP or V-Maxx.
    Can you recommend one of their products? Link me to a page maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by MartayMcFly View Post
    If you have £400, spend £400. Coilovers you get what you pay for (generally). AP are meant to be very good, and reasonably cheap.
    What can you expect from a 'bad' set of coilovers, they aren't as comfy, break easily?

    Quote Originally Posted by DPM View Post
    What engine do you have?

    Damian @ DPM Performance
    Its an A3 2.0T Sport 06 plate


    Oh and not sure if it makes much difference but i dont intend to slam this to the ground, just want to lower it so it doesn't look like im sitting atop a skyscraper.
    Last edited by Rockett; 1st November 2012 at 14:34.

  19. #18
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lichfield
    Posts
    389

    Coilovers and lowering

    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Avoid JOM, go for something like AP or V-Maxx.
    Each to their own, I rate them!

  20. #19
    Rockett's Avatar
    Faster!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Blackfield
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHatton View Post
    Each to their own, I rate them!
    I don't think you're the only one, from what i've read so far i've seen more positive reviews than negative.

    Decisions decisions

  21. #20
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lichfield
    Posts
    389

    Coilovers and lowering

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockett View Post
    I don't think you're the only one, from what i've read so far i've seen more positive reviews than negative.

    Decisions decisions
    Well it's entirely up to you buddy, but the reason I bought coilovers is purely for looks, I could'nt give a flying **** how my car handles as long as its as low as I want it, I don't go throwing it around corners, I just enjoy it. For £220 plus £50 fitting I've got exactly that so I'm not complaining.. But having said that, if you want to tune your motor or fly around a track, I would probably recommend putting your full £400 into a set & making sure they're goodens, then you're best looking at your AP's and V MAXX' I would imagine

  22. #21
    Rockett's Avatar
    Faster!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Blackfield
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHatton View Post
    Well it's entirely up to you buddy, but the reason I bought coilovers is purely for looks, I could'nt give a flying **** how my car handles as long as its as low as I want it, I don't go throwing it around corners, I just enjoy it. For £220 plus £50 fitting I've got exactly that so I'm not complaining.. But having said that, if you want to tune your motor or fly around a track, I would probably recommend putting your full £400 into a set & making sure they're goodens, then you're best looking at your AP's and V MAXX' I would imagine
    Well i want my car to handle well but i'm happy with how it's handling at the moment, im guessing although people have said theyre bad theyre not going to make the handling worse?

    Where did you get fitting done for £50? If that was the price for fitting i could afford to chuck more into the coilovers.

  23. #22
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    2,490
    Yup, cheaper coils will be cheaper material and likely less developed. Worse ride/handling, more likely to seize etc.
    Hunt is over

    1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

  24. #23
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lichfield
    Posts
    389

    Coilovers and lowering

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockett View Post
    Well i want my car to handle well but i'm happy with how it's handling at the moment, im guessing although people have said theyre bad theyre not going to make the handling worse?

    Where did you get fitting done for £50? If that was the price for fitting i could afford to chuck more into the coilovers.
    The ride would be harsher but I doubt it would handle worse.
    I had a mate fit them for £50 mate.

  25. #24
    Rockett's Avatar
    Faster!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Blackfield
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHatton View Post
    The ride would be harsher but I doubt it would handle worse.
    I had a mate fit them for £50 mate.
    Thought that might be the case Wish i knew more people into modding or who had garages near me. Im useless at this stuff so i'm a prime target for mechanics to rip off.

  26. #25
    leeds2592's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    996
    I've recently bought some AP coilovers from Damian at DPM. Not fit them yet but only heard good things about them, including the good build quality.

  27. #26
    Rockett's Avatar
    Faster!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Blackfield
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by leeds2592 View Post
    I've recently bought some AP coilovers from Damian at DPM. Not fit them yet but only heard good things about them, including the good build quality.
    AP seems to be the way to go, just too much money for what i wanted to spend after factoring in fitting costs

  28. #27
    leeds2592's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    996
    Do what I did matey, wait a bit longer and save up.

    Cheaper coilovers may cost you more in the long run if they develop a fault, but then again there's a lot of people running JOM's with no problems at all!

  29. #28
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    113
    £450 will get you a set of AP coilovers

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Lowering on coilovers and anti-roll bars.
    By lewis_lb in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17th December 2011, 23:44
  2. Springs, things and lowering kits: Advice wanted please!
    By sausagefingers in forum Handling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th February 2005, 20:35
  3. Shocks and lowering
    By mramage in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd November 2004, 18:27
  4. tockico coilover and stuts/ shock
    By rafA4 in forum Handling
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12th June 2004, 16:53
  5. S3 front and lower strut brace on a T Sport?
    By Markb in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 27th May 2004, 08:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO