Best product for getting rid of surface scratches

dstev

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an 09 reg black A3. When we bought it a couple of months back there were hardly any marks on it at all (and we gave it a long hard inspection) yet surface scratches seem to be appearing every day. What is the best product out there for getting rid of them? I've heard T-cut is not what it's made out to be.

Check out the detailing section on the site: Detailing

Also the Detailing World website is a wealth of knowledge. Black does pick up scratches nicely I'm afraid! Polishing with a DA or Rotary machine polisher will remove light scratches and marks from your paint. But I'd advise getting some training from someone in the know or using a recommended Detailer to do it for you as you don't want to burn the paint or take too much of the clearcoat layer off. If having a go for the first time might be worth investing in an old panel from a breakers to have a play on.

T-Cut is pretty old school and not recommended these days. You can also get some good waxes and sealants that can fill in these light scratches and minimise how noticeable they are.

I keep a tube of T-Cut for when all else fails. It's nasty stuff but it did pretty much eliminate a long scratch on the roof of my old black Golf where all else failed. You need to use something after it though such as Super Resin Polish as the finish isn't great.

There is a wealth of info on detailing world and also polishedbliss. Having just come from a black car I feel your pain. I'd seriously reccomend investing in a dual action machine polisher. The results are fantastic and you don't need to be a detailing pro to use one as they are geared to reduce any chance of you burning through the paint