55 Plate Xenons - Cutting out

JamieDJA

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a 55 PLATE facelift model 2.0 tdi 3dr, its got the factory fit xenons with DRL's. They have a fault where the main lights cut out, one side or the other then registers a fault on the dash - I simply switch lights off and on and they come back on but flicker before one side goes out. It happens randomly?

Not impressed with the quality of these lamps, BMW's version have always been fine.

Would it be bulb replacement or ballast? How much am I looking at?

:(

Hi Guys,

I have a 55 PLATE facelift model 2.0 tdi 3dr, its got the factory fit xenons with DRL's. They have a fault where the main lights cut out, one side or the other then registers a fault on the dash - I simply switch lights off and on and they come back on but flicker before one side goes out. It happens randomly?

Not impressed with the quality of these lamps, BMW's version have always been fine.

Would it be bulb replacement or ballast? How much am I looking at?

:(

Bit puzzled about this ! Factory fit xenons WITH drl's on a '55 plate ? Didn't think drl's came out until much later ?

Were they an optional extra at that time ?

i would guess a bulb replacement... get some replacements from HIDs Direct on ebay...
hids-direct | eBay

Thank you for that, really helpful and cheaper than I thought, will these look the same but newer? What K are Audi bulbs? 4300 or 6000K?

Bit puzzled about this ! Factory fit xenons WITH drl's on a '55 plate ? Didn't think drl's came out until much later ?

Mine were a factory extra, its quite loaded for an A3 its got -
Bi Xenons with DRL's
Electric Sunroof
Cruise Control
Parking Sensors
BOSE
6CD Changer + Tape in H/U
Multi Function Steering Wheel

The DRL's are really bright in the day!

these headlights? i believe they were available as my car has the headlight washers from factory and in the coding it's always been able to take the bi-xenons.

7860f6eb.jpg

Yeah they are the lights but mine have OEM DRL bulbs :)

Spoken to Audi there is an outstanding fault with the A4 and not the A3 considering its the same tech will be taking it further. They think its the module control unit which is like £400 and didnt clarify whether this is per side! I'll either be selling this car based on that and going back to BMW or removing the lamps and fitting standard bulb units that WORK and wont kill me of a night

JamieDJA, did you ever got this sorted, did you get new bulbs or is it the ballasts that is causing this? I've got the same problem with mine, passenger side light flickers then goes out, weired thing is it only does it in the evening when leaving work, never going to work !?