Look what happened when the jack slipped !

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
What can i repair this with?...sealant? chemical metal? the jack sliped and dug into the sill and made a cut,i dont want water getting in ,also cars going to a bodyshop in 2 weeks time bumper to be painted......any ideas what i should do here,there is a slight dent aswell.

DSC_0413.jpg

IMG

the body shop will be able to sort this no problem. if your worried about water ingress before it going in, i'd gunk it with grease/underseal or if needs be a blob of silicone.

i wanted see if i can fix it myself.......bodyshop prob want 50 quid for that bit alone! i heard they can braize it or something?

Could grab some p38 and just get a touch up aerosol yourself? might work im not the best with bodyshop stuff!

For time being put some electrical tape over it till you can take to body shop for their suggestions.

i wanted see if i can fix it myself.......bodyshop prob want 50 quid for that bit alone! i heard they can braize it or something?

You'd be lucky if you got that fixed for £50 - you are looking at about £150 for a body shop to sort that out inc vat!

tbh given its the sill, it kinda needs welding as filling alone it isnt exactly the best thing for future MOTS

I wouldn't advise putting grease/silicone on there as if you do want it painted you will have to panel wipe (de-silcone for ages!) To do it right it needs welded, filled then painted. luckily, its on the sill and tbh you could repair yourself.
If you get some one to weld the "gash" up. Some p38 (filler) as someone has already said. Then some rattle can stone chip (the rough effect) and rattle can base coat and lacquer! sorted :)

I can give you some advice if you would like.

if grease/silicone is used as a temporary measure, id see this as no problem. The at paint work around hole and the hole will be ground back prior to welding. this would remove all contaminants. so dont really see any issue's but I may be wrong :unsure:

Have you ever seen the tap test that MOT testers do on the sills of cars. Their toffee hammer would pick up a filler repair in no time at all unless you know the tester ;-)

its a scratch and a little dint isnt it? last thing you want is welding on a sill on a 5 year old car. welding encorages rust, it heats up the surrounding metal disturbing the original paint and will melt the wax off the panel on the inside. touch it up with primer and colour and leave it.

Have you ever seen the tap test that MOT testers do on the sills of cars. Their toffee hammer would pick up a filler repair in no time at all unless you know the tester ;-)

naaaa. im a tester, you wouldnt pick up on a tiny skim of filler on such a localised area on a sill ever with it.
infact i havent picked up the corrosion hammer since the last ford ka i tested about 2 months ago!

if grease/silicone is used as a temporary measure, id see this as no problem. The at paint work around hole and the hole will be ground back prior to welding. this would remove all contaminants. so dont really see any issue's but I may be wrong :unsure:

Yeah suppose. I didn't mean to shoot your idea down :)
It should be welded for sure and a skim of filler. if its a big dent get the body shop to pull it out and weld it and just paint it yourself?
Mask it with a soft edge. (doubled of masking tape) with it being the rough texture you shouldn't see it.

naaaa. im a tester, you wouldnt pick up on a tiny skim of filler on such a localised area on a sill ever with it.
infact i havent picked up the corrosion hammer since the last ford ka i tested about 2 months ago!
Why would you check a ford KA? They never rust ;) haha..... I would use a big hammer for testing that. 14lb and smash it up!

Thats good to know as I've seen several of them go hammer and tongs on a filler repaired sill. I wasnt too chuffed when I had to get it welded properly.

THEY PROBABLY WOULD.....especially if im spending 400 with them anyway
You'd be lucky if you got that fixed for £50 - you are looking at about £150 for a body shop to sort that out inc vat!

i wouldnt like get it welded......its so so tiny,just a slit on a piece of paper......What about dabbing in some chemical metal then touching in with touch up paint,it'll be filled,solid and end of.
its a scratch and a little dint isnt it? last thing you want is welding on a sill on a 5 year old car. welding encorages rust, it heats up the surrounding metal disturbing the original paint and will melt the wax off the panel on the inside. touch it up with primer and colour and leave it.

Thats great.....alot of m.o.t testers see the cars mint on the body,dont bother with the hammer

i wouldnt like get it welded......its so so tiny,just a slit on a piece of paper......What about dabbing in some chemical metal then touching in with touch up paint,it'll be filled,solid and end of.

The correct way IMO is to weld it. Just fill and paint if you wish. You will need to stone chip it to get the rough texture back though.

the picture is a little rubbish, has it actually cut a slit into the sill (as in a hole) or not?

It seems like you are going to bodge it up anyway, so I guess it's up to you, for £50 is it really worth bodging????

Time for some side skirts :p it will go right over that.