Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    vorsprung Durch Technik

Status

Look what happened when the jack slipped !

What can i repair this with?...sealant? chemical metal? the jack sliped and dug into the sill and made a cut,i dont want water getting in ,also cars going to a bodyshop in 2 weeks time bumper to be painted......any ideas what i should do here,there is a slight dent aswell.

[IMG]http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab80/vw754/DSC_0414.jpg[/IMG
    Full leather/19"wheels/cruise/

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    the body shop will be able to sort this no problem. if your worried about water ingress before it going in, i'd gunk it with grease/underseal or if needs be a blob of silicone.

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    i wanted see if i can fix it myself.......bodyshop prob want 50 quid for that bit alone! i heard they can braize it or something?

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    duct tape

living the dream

Status

My Social Networking

Follow C6 DRN On Twitter Add C6 DRN on Facebook Visit C6 DRN's Youtube Channel Visit C6 DRN's Instagram Channel
    Could grab some p38 and just get a touch up aerosol yourself? might work im not the best with bodyshop stuff!
    Audi S3 | DSG | Black Edition | Quattro | Heko Wind Deflectors | Heated Leather Seats | Bose | RNSE | Cruise Control | Sunroof | Electric Mirrors | Armrest | 6k Miles

5th Gear

Status
    For time being put some electrical tape over it till you can take to body shop for their suggestions.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vw754 View Post
    i wanted see if i can fix it myself.......bodyshop prob want 50 quid for that bit alone! i heard they can braize it or something?
    You'd be lucky if you got that fixed for £50 - you are looking at about £150 for a body shop to sort that out inc vat!

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    tbh given its the sill, it kinda needs welding as filling alone it isnt exactly the best thing for future MOTS

Neutral

Status
    I wouldn't advise putting grease/silicone on there as if you do want it painted you will have to panel wipe (de-silcone for ages!) To do it right it needs welded, filled then painted. luckily, its on the sill and tbh you could repair yourself.
    If you get some one to weld the "gash" up. Some p38 (filler) as someone has already said. Then some rattle can stone chip (the rough effect) and rattle can base coat and lacquer! sorted

I can give you some advice if you would like.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    tbh given its the sill, it kinda needs welding as filling alone it isnt exactly the best thing for future MOTS
    Beat me to it!

5th Gear

Status
    if grease/silicone is used as a temporary measure, id see this as no problem. The at paint work around hole and the hole will be ground back prior to welding. this would remove all contaminants. so dont really see any issue's but I may be wrong

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Have you ever seen the tap test that MOT testers do on the sills of cars. Their toffee hammer would pick up a filler repair in no time at all unless you know the tester ;-)
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/VCDS/Wagner

6th Gear

Status
    its a scratch and a little dint isnt it? last thing you want is welding on a sill on a 5 year old car. welding encorages rust, it heats up the surrounding metal disturbing the original paint and will melt the wax off the panel on the inside. touch it up with primer and colour and leave it.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Have you ever seen the tap test that MOT testers do on the sills of cars. Their toffee hammer would pick up a filler repair in no time at all unless you know the tester ;-)
    naaaa. im a tester, you wouldnt pick up on a tiny skim of filler on such a localised area on a sill ever with it.
    infact i havent picked up the corrosion hammer since the last ford ka i tested about 2 months ago!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rOb_A View Post
    if grease/silicone is used as a temporary measure, id see this as no problem. The at paint work around hole and the hole will be ground back prior to welding. this would remove all contaminants. so dont really see any issue's but I may be wrong
    Yeah suppose. I didn't mean to shoot your idea down
    It should be welded for sure and a skim of filler. if its a big dent get the body shop to pull it out and weld it and just paint it yourself?
    Mask it with a soft edge. (doubled of masking tape) with it being the rough texture you shouldn't see it.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by murran View Post
    naaaa. im a tester, you wouldnt pick up on a tiny skim of filler on such a localised area on a sill ever with it.
    infact i havent picked up the corrosion hammer since the last ford ka i tested about 2 months ago!
    Why would you check a ford KA? They never rust haha..... I would use a big hammer for testing that. 14lb and smash it up!

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Thats good to know as I've seen several of them go hammer and tongs on a filler repaired sill. I wasnt too chuffed when I had to get it welded properly.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/VCDS/Wagner

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    THEY PROBABLY WOULD.....especially if im spending 400 with them anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA3 View Post
    You'd be lucky if you got that fixed for £50 - you are looking at about £150 for a body shop to sort that out inc vat!

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    i wouldnt like get it welded......its so so tiny,just a slit on a piece of paper......What about dabbing in some chemical metal then touching in with touch up paint,it'll be filled,solid and end of.
    its a scratch and a little dint isnt it? last thing you want is welding on a sill on a 5 year old car. welding encorages rust, it heats up the surrounding metal disturbing the original paint and will melt the wax off the panel on the inside. touch it up with primer and colour and leave it.

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    Thats great.....alot of m.o.t testers see the cars mint on the body,dont bother with the hammer

Neutral

Status
    i wouldnt like get it welded......its so so tiny,just a slit on a piece of paper......What about dabbing in some chemical metal then touching in with touch up paint,it'll be filled,solid and end of.
    The correct way IMO is to weld it. Just fill and paint if you wish. You will need to stone chip it to get the rough texture back though.

6th Gear

Status
    the picture is a little rubbish, has it actually cut a slit into the sill (as in a hole) or not?

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    It seems like you are going to bodge it up anyway, so I guess it's up to you, for £50 is it really worth bodging????

English...not so good

Status
    Time for some side skirts :P it will go right over that.