longlife oil

ginner

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I know this has been covered before, but have just used the last of my free oil and wondered where people had been getting theirs from and what they were using.

I dont really want to goto audi in huddersfield as their prices are extortionate.

If you look in your handbook it gives you a VAG oil spec 505.3 or something like that. I think Castrol SLXII complies with this, it should say on the back of the carton. Oops, just noticed you're TDi, may be different on yours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If it's a PD engine then you need a PD specific oil which carrys the VW code 505.01.

Other non PD oils should not be used.

Cheers
Simon

My first free litre that came with the car (2.0TDi) was Castrol oil.

Halfords do exactly the same stuff.

Its not specific to Audi dealers

Castrol SLXII Longlife - it says on the container that it complies with the Audi/VW requirement for longlife oils.

£39.99 for 4 litres from Halfords

Our car is a 04 A3 2.0TDI Sport.

The correct spec for oil for the AVS longlife service on a 2.0 TDI PD (Pumpe-Duse) Diesel engine is VW 506.01. The VW 505.01 mentioned in an earlier post is the correct spec for NON variable (fixed interval) servicing.

Castrol SLXII is probably the best known oil that meets this spec.

Went to my local Halfords but they said it was only stocked at the superstores, thought I'd check the Sainsburys petrol station opposite work just in case and they had stacks of the stuff! I think it was about £10 ish for exactly the same bottle as supplied with the car....

Any one know what it is for the 3.2?

Thanks

From the info that I have you would need an oil that meets the following spec

VW 503.01
A new oil specification specifically for the RS4, and the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp, Passat W8 and Phaeton W12. Viscosity rating: 0w-30

Castrol SLX Longlife II meets the following specs - VW 503 00 VW 506 00 + VW 506 01 but NOT VW 503.01

aye, i needed need castrol SLX longlife not SLX 2 for the S3, probably the same for the 3.2 on AVS.

although confirm yourself of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

out of interest, what does the 505.2 and all that mean? is it just some arbitrary standards code that has been assigned, or is it a scale of some sort?

The codes used are just specification numbers. They start at 500.00 for cars up to August 1999 up to, currently 506.00 and 506.01 for the latest PD diesels on AVS servicing. The increase in the numbering is purely that the spec is later rather than being any 'better'. No doubt there will be further specs as technology moves on.

A Word document I have prepared giving details of all the specs can be found here.

nice one, cheers for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So it looks like I need 503.01 for the 3.2 then, any one know which oils meet that?

Thanks

Castrol SLX longtec 0w-30 is 503.1

[ QUOTE ]
So it looks like I need 503.01 for the 3.2 then, any one know which oils meet that?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a look here for more info on 503.01...

Click here