Volks AutosChris Nott
    5th Gear

Status

Will these work with my car?

Hi All,

I posted a while back as I couldnt get the LED bulbs in my number plate to work. Just kept throwing up errors and wouldnt light up at all.

Now I've seen these on ebay (see link) its the whole unit as opposed to just the bulb.. Has anyone tried these and do they work?

2005 A3 Sportback

Audi A3 S3 A4 S4 A6 S6 A8 S8 Q7 Error Free Number Plate unit LED Bulb UK seller | eBay
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

2. # ADS
    ADS

JS3
    1st Gear

Status
    Worth a go? They offer a full refund incl postage if they do not work.
    2010 S3, Sprint Blue, S-Tronic, RNSE, Cruise Control, Interior Light Pack, Upgraded LED Interior Bulbs, Heated Seats, Hill Hold, Boot Buddy, Fog Turn Lights, Revo Stage 1, De-Wipered

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    didnt work on my old a4
    took about 6 weeks to get refund had to go through paypal
    if you do need to send them back make sure you record them back

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    didnt work on my old a4
    took about 6 weeks to get refund had to go through paypal
    if you do need to send them back make sure you record them back
    Hmmm I read somewhere that there are units from Audi with the LED's for the new cars does anyone know if this is true and has a part number?
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

1st Gear

Status
    No they don't work. Bought them for my2007 s3. They kept flickering then one went out and through up error on dash. Don't bother matey

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by big harty View Post
    No they don't work. Bought them for my2007 s3. They kept flickering then one went out and through up error on dash. Don't bother matey
    Thanks buddy, have you managed to find any that do?

1st Gear

Status
    None yet tried three different sets now. I'm back to boring standard ones

JS3
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
    Hmmm I read somewhere that there are units from Audi with the LED's for the new cars does anyone know if this is true and has a part number?
    I believe there are - ask t8ups he will be able to tell you. Think the unit is around £15 for each side from Audi (i.e. £30 for the pair) and then they need to be coded. Perhaps somebody with better knowledge can tell you more.
    2010 S3, Sprint Blue, S-Tronic, RNSE, Cruise Control, Interior Light Pack, Upgraded LED Interior Bulbs, Heated Seats, Hill Hold, Boot Buddy, Fog Turn Lights, Revo Stage 1, De-Wipered

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JS3 View Post
    I believe there are - ask t8ups he will be able to tell you. Think the unit is around £15 for each side from Audi (i.e. £30 for the pair) and then they need to be coded. Perhaps somebody with better knowledge can tell you more.
    Seconded! I bought all my LEDs from t8ups and they are all spot on !
    2008 A3 (8P3) 2.0 TDI (170) S Line Sportback - Lava Grey - MFSW - Parrot Bluetooth - S Line Half Black Leather - Aux In - Cruise Control - Centre Armrest - Bi Xenons.
    Mods: RNS-E. AMI with I-Pod. LED Upgrades Throughout. S3 Pedals. Debadged. Rear PDC. Non-Smokers Pack. VCDS Cable Interface. CH/LH Lights. S3 Black Optics Grille. Pressed Plates.
    Next: FBMFSW ??

Audi Heaven

Status
    Got mine from EBay, they've been fitted for 18 months with no problems. User Rhyso on here has the same ones too with no issues.

Look at this on eBay:

AUDI A3 A4 S3 Q7 TT NUMBER PLATE LED BULB white 239 C5W

http://bit.ly/S8QQyu
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by audicruiser View Post
    Got mine from EBay, they've been fitted for 18 months with no problems. User Rhyso on here has the same ones too with no issues.

Look at this on eBay:

Ive tried a few sets of LED bulbs and all of them have thrown up errors :-( cant find any that dont set off the canbus system :-(

Thats why I thought maybe new units would sort the problem

Audi Heaven

Status
    Well our cars are around the same age and have never had any errors with these...
    Scott

Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

5th Gear

Status
    Well our cars are around the same age and have never had any errors with these...
    Thats the annoying thing I know loads of forum memebers with no problems with the bulbs but I have tried so many times and just get a dash warning and they dont light up? Sensitive system maybe?????

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
    Thats the annoying thing I know loads of forum memebers with no problems with the bulbs but I have tried so many times and just get a dash warning and they dont light up? Sensitive system maybe?????
    That happened when I fitted mine, just turn the bulb the other way in the holder.
    Scott

5th Gear

Status

That happened when I fitted mine, just turn the bulb the other way in the holder.
    Ok I'm going to order the ones you suggested and try again thanks mate

2nd Gear

Status
    I tried many different types in mine and none worked

So I decided to wire a 5w bulb insde the boot to the connector on back of the handle/light unit and bought the cheap LED festoon bulbs (non canbus, no resistors etc) the standard bulb inside boot tricks​ the canbus into working and staying on

5th Gear

Status

Look at this on eBay:

They work!!! Ok there is a knack to fitting these which I wasn't aware of so for those who are thinking of doing it this is how to do it.. Don't do it in daylight use a torch and do it at dusk.. Don't turn on the ignition don't even put the key in just turn the sidelights on so the number plates light up.. From here you can remove the holders and insert the led's, the LEDs move the connectors when you put them in so using a torch to see into the unit as you put them in wiggling the connectors till the light comes on..

This is where I went wrong before I didn't realise that with the ignition off dis doesn't register an error when the light comes on and off so you can fiddle till you get the connection right without dis turning the lights off and registering and error It's fiddly but they do work eventually.. I also bought some new m3 10mm screws to replace the worn ones in the lens..

Hope this helps someone..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351626130.474834.jpg

Neutral

Status
    they look really bright or is it just the picture?

1st Gear

Status
    Don't do it there crap. Mine kept flickering and then error codes came up. Save your money matey

Neutral

Status
    Cheers, went with t8ups instead