Radiator staying on when all turned off?

A3Kent

Reaction score
Hi guys

Any reason why every so often my A3 2.0 TDI 170's front radiator is staying on for about 5 minutes after i've turned the engine off etc? It's done it twice now and happened tonight after returning home on my usual 13 mile journey home from work, I wasn't exaclty thrashing it either.

Thanks

The fan on the radiator then...

Do you run aircon all the time or just occasionally & was aircon on at these times.

Fairly common fault.

Open the bonnet with the engine running an AC off and watch the fans. Only the large radiator fan on the right should be moving.

Now turn on the AC, wait a few minutes and keep watching the fans. If the smaller fan still doesnt move and the large radiator speeds up and sounds like an aeroplane taking off.. The fault is with the smaller fan.. £150 for fan + labour.

Or the DPF re-gen has been interrupted as A6CR says. I get this on the A4 from time to time, usually with a slight smell of burning (I'm assuming from the increased tempteratures needed for re-gen)...

Do you run aircon all the time or just occasionally & was aircon on at these times.

Always stays on mate.

Fairly common fault.

Open the bonnet with the engine running an AC off and watch the fans. Only the large radiator fan on the right should be moving.

Now turn on the AC, wait a few minutes and keep watching the fans. If the smaller fan still doesnt move and the large radiator speeds up and sounds like an aeroplane taking off.. The fault is with the smaller fan.. £150 for fan + labour.

I'll try this out.

This is helpful too -
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/air-conditioning/57270-air-con-climate-control-faqs.html

It's possible that's it's normal behaviour as my air con is always on.

I'll do some tests and report back.

Thanks chaps.

Last edited:
I should also mention that the car was checked for error codes via VCDS only last Sunday and no errors were present....

Sounds like the common fan problem as this shows no errors. Get it sorted though as you'll come back to a flat battery!

Sounds like the common fan problem as this shows no errors. Get it sorted though as you'll come back to a flat battery!

its only done it twice in about a month though, both times it's gone out in about 5 minutes. Surely that won't flatten the battery?

hi

try the temp 3 pin switch situated screwed in the radiator, this keeps the fans working after the engine in switched off and works on a temp in the radiator, cheap to change, also is the engine temp normal if is reading high the fan will run on after switching off