Error Code: Intake Manifold Runner Control: Deviation

stetheo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am not sure if anyone would be able to help but I recently purchased my second A3 and decided to go from a 1.9TDI to an 07 plate A3 2.0TDI 170 S Line.

However I have only had the car 5 weeks and since a week after picking it up I have had a flashing glow plug light. After two weeks the DPF filter warning light appear followed shortly by the dreaded LIMP mode. I swiftly got in touch with the garage I bought it from and got it booked in with my Independent Audi garage for diagnostics and DPF Clear (which may I add was at 270%).

He managed to clear the DPF and all light where out when I picked the car up. I was happy...then on the drive home the glow plug light started flashing so I rang the garage and he said for me not to worry unless the performance was affected. Although it did bother me as I rely on my car to do 100+ mile round trip which is mainly motorway to work and back. Anyway I continued to drive and every time I drove the car the glow plug light would start flashing and after 352 miles after the DPF clear, the DPF warning light has come back on. I was looking through my receipts and found that there had been another fault picked up on the diagnostic:

P3138 - 012600 - Intake Manifold Runner Control: Deviation

Unfortunately that is all the print out has on it. I also have been suffering on the colder morning with starting the car.

I have searched for hours endlessly reading hundreds of posts but cannot find the answer.

Does anybody know if this fault could have anything to do with the DPF filter blocking so quickly after it being cleared or is there another underlying reason for this? From what i have read on here and been told by the Audi Independent garage because of the large amount of motorwat driving I am doing the DPF should not be an issue.

TIA
Stephen

Intake manifold flap would be something to check tbh mate.

DPF at 270%, are you sure?

Okay thanks. The cars gone back in to LIMP mode this morning after only 428 miles of the DPF being 'cleared'. After only owning the car 5 weeks and having none stop problems with this filter, does any one know if this means the filter does need replacing or could there be another underlying fault causing the filter to block so quickly?

Yeah I didn't believe the guy, but he showed me the screen before he cleaned it and sure enough it was at 270%. So my next question was, how can it possibly go higher than 100% to which he responded he didn't know..

DPF delete I reckon is the way forward unless the garage are going to continue to clean it out under warranty. When that runs out then get the DPF delete done.

As the garage are deciding to ignore me I have decided for a dpf delete. Although I have been told by my independent Audi garage that my car will fail its mot next year if I do as the law is changing.

Does anyone know if this is true or is he just wanting me to keep coming back for a dpf regen once a week...?

Hi Mate,

I can't comment on the dpf as fortunately had no issues, but have had same fault so possibly not linked.

Similar scenario to you on a 56 plate 170 Quattro. Had a P3138 code (glow plug light flashing). I ended up having to have a new inlet manifold after being fobbed off by the the independent dealer (TVS Audi in Stourbridge - Avoid!!). Car then ran over it's 2 month warranty.

Apparently the plastic flaps can stick and only real solution is a replacement inlet manifold which was quite pricey, £400+ at Main dealer from memory. Maybe also worth checking the throttle housing too as this can be linked.

So, to avoid my mistake, I would insist that the dealer you bought it from replaced the inlet manifold and don't get fobbed off on 'cleaned the flaps, lubricated them etc..'

Good luck with sorting out, feel ya pain...

Yeah I have taken mine to Rick at unicorn motor developments get the dpf removed and a remap and he has potentially uncovered a few problems which may have to to my dpf blocking so quickly.

Potentially there are problems with the intake manifold flaps and the turbo. However this is going to get looked at by him properly. May be a case of replacing them as you have suggested. I will have to wait and see. Thanks for the response :)

fingers crossed all this gets sorted and i
can enjoy driving my car finally

There has been lots of rumours floating around with reference to new MOT regs coming into force regarding the DPF. What I have heard MIGHT happen is, the DPF cannister will have a quick visual inspection done on it so if you go for the DPF delete where the cannister is cut open down the weld, element removed and then welded back up again this should be hunky dorey. If on the other hand you go for a by-pass pipe with the cannister removed......IF the inspection is carried out then the car will fail as it has no cannister and the owner has got a hefty bill coming up to reinstate the DPF. This is all heresay and speculation so no-one knows if this new MOT reg will be introduced but to be on the safe side DPF delete with map adjustment is the way forward.

There has been lots of rumours floating around with reference to new MOT regs coming into force regarding the DPF. What I have heard MIGHT happen is, the DPF cannister will have a quick visual inspection done on it so if you go for the DPF delete where the cannister is cut open down the weld, element removed and then welded back up again this should be hunky dorey. If on the other hand you go for a by-pass pipe with the cannister removed......IF the inspection is carried out then the car will fail as it has no cannister and the owner has got a hefty bill coming up to reinstate the DPF. This is all heresay and speculation so no-one knows if this new MOT reg will be introduced but to be on the safe side DPF delete with map adjustment is the way forward.

Yeah I have heard a lot around this matter. It was one of the things i asked before taking the plunge and getting my DPF taken out.

Luckily the garage i took it too gutted the inside and re-welded so on a visual inspection the filter appears to be there. This has solved my DPF issues, now just taking a look at the intake manifold flaps and the Turbo as she is running very smokey currently.

Hey Steve,

I'm pretty sure your turbo has gone. Either that or the valve stem seals but that would be pretty unusual. We will inspect the turbo before ordering another to be sure :)

Rick