My engine judders when I turn it over & then fires, why?

leecool

Reaction score
Hi there guys & girls, I have posted this before, but without any answers.
I own for my sins a 2007 2.0 TDI A3 DSG 140.
When I start her up, the engine shakes judders & then starts, hot or cold. It is not a natural judder its mildly violent & it's driving me insane! I have taken the car to Audi in Swansea, they performed a diagnostic on it which threw up no issues.
Later I had replaced,a new timing belt,new DMF, these were installed by an Audi tech, moonlighting. I wanted the timing belt done as it was going to be needed done soon anyway & the Audi tech told me the juddering was my DMF. He said that on my car the EGR valve was vacuum operated, not electrical. He said the electrical ones fail not the vacuum ones, that's why no comms were made with the EGR during the diagnostic. Now having the DMF done has improved the aggressivness of the judder, but it's still there. The tech added that in rare cases the armatures can fail on the starter motors which can cause the starter to snatch whilst turning. This made some sense to me as I am technically gifted, sorry I meant minded. So I had that replaced too.
No change!
I bombed this tech out as he was like a dandy highwayman! We'll work through it he said! I think he meant my bank account.
Just recently the rear ABS sensor went on my A3, so I booked it in to Audi for replacement. I also asked that they try & sort the judder, clutching at straws now eh!? Car came back working again, but judder was still there. Audi again couldn't explain the issue. What gives? These guys should be able to dissassemble an engine blindfolded, just like a soldier knows his rifle!
We pay big money, for what? I even wrote to head office in Germany, they said that they've not heard of issues such as this & that they were unable to assist.
My car is my pride & joy, it drives beautifully too, but this judder is getting me down. I'm afraid it will prematurely end the life of my DMF.
Helllp please!
See attatched Audi diagnostic report.

Attachments

• AUDI RECIEPT.jpg
    AUDI RECIEPT.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I think this is quite common on the BKD engine. Some say engine mounts could be the issue.

It may be worth deleting your address from the image above, you can never be too careful.

I thought if it was the DMF it's more of a whine you hear on pull away? I'd definitely get all the mounts checked over and without sounding ridiculous make sure the oil is topped up? Just a few suggestions.

Leecool, it sounds like its not firing evenly on each cylinder as it first turns over. Assuming that there are no fault codes on glow-plugs showing up, that only leaves compression or injectors. A long shot, but I would see if someone could check the injectors and then if possible perform a compression check on each cylinder. A compression check would show up a sticking valve. A third idea would be to use an injector cleaner to see if that had any effect. Good luck.