Hi all and quick question...

Gnasher

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just been thinking bout which cars could tick all the boxes to replace my current 2006 Astra VXR (which I've been extremely happy with). I've narrowed it down to 2 different cars, which are...

1. New model Astra VXR with a good few extras.

2. 2011/12 Audi S3 Black edition with DSG box.

Now I'm sure I would be happy with either of the above cars - each has their strengths/weaknesses (looks/power/depreciation/etc.) and I could get either for about the same money (well, the 2nd hand S3 would probably cost more than I'd pay for a new VXR but it's pretty close)

I kind of know there's going to be some bias (it's only natural) but does anyone have an opinion on which I should go for and why?

Cheers all!!

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Post over in the a3 section of the forum, the guys and girls will soon have you convinced that an S3 is the better choice. Enjoy the forum. :) x

​Sure, i will move it just now. :) x

Based on the fact we get an average rainfall of 190 days per year in UK (feels more like 290), if you like modifying your cars then I'd say there is only one choice (power is nothing without control!).

The VXR is a good car, and whilst I've never driven one, when I drove one it's cousins (Astra 2.0 Diesel SRi with sport button) as a hire car I was surprised how good it was. The VXR will feel more exhilarating when you compare base spec cars. Personally I feel the engineered controls in the S3 make it feel a touch on the slow side. Where the S3 excels is with modifications, and can happily take over 350bhp without feeling unsettled, and no matter what the weather will feel a safe and accomplished car.

So if you want most fun and plan to stay standard I'd say VXR, if you fancy any modding then maybe go for the S3. I'll ignore residual values, but expect the S3 to retain quite a bit more value over time if that sort of thing bothers you.

Cost aside, those two are chalk & cheese in terms of performance & quality! The VXR is a hooligan compared to the more composed S3, but the build quality of the Audi is up at the top of the scale.

What do you prefer, Brash or Refined?

maybe you could hire one for a week? because ultimately, I think the decision really depends on how you want to drive it.

Having owned both I'm probably in as good a position to comment as anyone. I loved my VXR, absolutely loved it. It was stage 2 and the aggressive nature of it was superb.

Then I got the S3, it is a completely different animal. In standard form it feels heavy and lacklustre in my opinion, but they respond so well to tuning they can be turned into a great performance car.

As Warren points out, the one thing that really made the S3 a better all round car than my VXR was the fact I could jump in it in any weather and safely drive it quickly. The VXR could be a real handful in the wet as you will know, the S3 doesn't seem to mind what the weather is like!

I think if I lived in Spain I'd rather have the VXR, but here I'd rather have the S3!

I'm in the same boat as Graeme, I to had the vxr and my current car is an s3. Vxr was a wild horse that can't be tamed. Mine was stage 3 (300-310 bhp) and my god did it move. But s3 is a different level. Once tuned. They are fun cars to drive.

Many thanks for the honest balanced opinions - Not like my current preferred forum which would have slated the S3 from the word go lol!!

Whilst I love my VXR (and apparently the new one is a lot more refined than the old one) I'm over 40 now and I think my 'wild hot hatch' days are well and truly over. I'm thinking an S3 will still give me the thrills (especially if slightly tuned - exhaust and remap) but will have a more 'grown up' feel and also a bit safer in poor weather for the wife and me. I also think it would be nice to get a bit into the VAG scene after seeing my step brothers car (A highly modded multiple mag featured Seat LCR)

I'm thinking Ibis white as a colour (although if it was the astra, it would be Arden Blue all the way!) and specifically the Black edition (mainly for the better looking wheels and decent standard spec) as well as getting one with DSG (really interests me would people recommend getting this?)

Sorry for loads of questions, but the last thing I want to do is get the wrong car/spec/gearbox!!

Many thanks for the honest balanced opinions - Not like my current preferred forum which would have slated the S3 from the word go lol!!

Whilst I love my VXR (and apparently the new one is a lot more refined than the old one) I'm over 40 now and I think my 'wild hot hatch' days are well and truly over. I'm thinking an S3 will still give me the thrills (especially if slightly tuned - exhaust and remap) but will have a more 'grown up' feel and also a bit safer in poor weather for the wife and me. I also think it would be nice to get a bit into the VAG scene after seeing my step brothers car (A highly modded multiple mag featured Seat LCR)

I'm thinking Ibis white as a colour (although if it was the astra, it would be Arden Blue all the way!) and specifically the Black edition (mainly for the better looking wheels and decent standard spec) as well as getting one with DSG (really interests me would people recommend getting this?)

Sorry for loads of questions, but the last thing I want to do is get the wrong car/spec/gearbox!!

If you plan to tune then the DSG box makes things a little cheaper as stage 2 or above normally results in a new clutch being needed on a manual car. The DSG box can cope with the extra power easily.

I came from a stage 2 Leon Cupra R (in 2007), and the lack of grip in the wet pushed me into the S3. I'm like you (close to 40!), and I'm on my 2nd S3. A weapon for reasonable money at S2+. I went manual but am factoring a Sachs Loba clutch.

Is the new VXR out yet? I'm pretty sure I saw a blue GTC at the weekend with a wing on the back.

Okay heres my honest opinion.

Having driven both cars. The audi hands down.

The audi will hold its value pretty well, where as the vxr it wont.

Bascially the vxr isnt bad, nice looks decent power, but.. after all its just an Astra, and has massive torque steer and the handling isnt all that.

The audi is 100% quality, handling is immense, the equipment just overall is an amazing machine.

But its what makes u feel better. Drive both and see what you think, which ever you feel best with thats the one for you.

i also have come for the vxr scene, i had a stage 3 nurburgring. 300bhp and 370ft of torque, the car is undoubtably an animal, but im now in my s3 which is stage 1 at the moment. although the astra has the torque which makes it feel quicker, the s3 keeps pulling all the way to the redline, and can safely say its just as fast as the astra was. the interior is just far superior then the astra. although the new model will be alot more redefined! the s3 will be an all round car and suitable for all conditions and moods! whereas the astra i feell only knows one thing!

deanshaw.. very true. bascially i feel astra put an engine in without thinking of what that kind of power in a FWD will do. in the damp, even pulling of normal all i got was wheel spin. the audi s3, infact all the audis 1.8t + all of them are just rockets of the line. even in severe rain

Having driven many auto's before, this is the first one I've been happy to actually buy for myself & doubt I'll ever return to manually stirring a gearbox again! DSG is the future IMO.