BSE engine code - chain or belt??

JamesS4cab

Reaction score
My wife has a 2007 1.6 FSi A3 and its coming up to 75k miles. I have been told the engine code is BSE.

I can't find anything definitive to say wether its belt or chain!!??

Anyone help please?

Thanks - is there anywhere that I can see this because Audi swear blind that it belt and i thought it was chain?? I just dont want to ignore it and then find out that its belt and damage the engine!

I have 2 friends with 1.6 fsi both of them chain.So yours its for sure chain.I completely undestand you ,because you want your car to be safe,but if you are still unsure take different opinion from another audi place.

If it's got a belt, then on the side of the engine should be some removable plastic panels with 1/4 turn screws.

Perhaps this will help.

007__scaled_600_002.jpg

vag16fsiexplodedsw3.jpg

as avove if its got a belt its got a cam belt cover
easy to check
ot call TPS give them the reg and ask for a belt kit.

1.6 BSE engine is something else as in the picture. That is an FSI 16V that has a chain.

But the 1.6 BSE is an 8 valve engine and that one has a belt. There is an interval at 90.000 km. It is also in my Skoda Octavia modelyr 2007. I thought there is a little difference in KW. 1.6 BSE 73KW and 1.6 FSI (without turbo) 77KW

Regards Arnold (Holland)

Agreed, either your wifes car isn't an FSI - remember there are two versions of 1.6 petrol, FSI and none FSI, or else it is, in which case, it isn't engine code BSE.

1.6 FSI Chain Engine codes are BAG,BLF and BLP

If it's BSE, it isn't an FSI and it does have a belt.

You can find the engine code in the inside front cover of the service book if you have it.

Definitely cambelt. I've got same code and it has been done by Audi