HELP please, car won't start?

tedward

Reaction score
Hi, the mrs went out to her a3 this morning and when you turn the key in the ignition there are no dash lights, mileage etc coming up on the dash. the car cranks o.k before catching as if to run but then just cuts out as if it's immobilised or something?

I have checked the battery with my multimeter it's showing 12.5 v and like I said it cranks o.k and fires but won't run?

Must be an electrical issue as there are no dash lights?

It's a strange one as I got in the car Saturday morning to move it off the drive to the road and it's started fine, it's been stood on the road for 2 days?????

Help appreciated!

First thing I would do is to check for a blown or poorly-contacting fuse. In the engine bay fuse box, there is a 5Amp fuse (F6 I think but check this in your manual) which provides 12V power to the instrument cluster. Hope this helps. Good luck.

No joy here, occasionally the right hand side and the centre display light up but never the milage readout (left hand side)

I'm stumped big time.

Hopefully no water in the ECU. Where is the ECU stored in these cars, in the skuttle under the windscreen???

I know some folk with Leon's had issues with water ingress if the drain holes in the skuttles got clogged with dirt and leaves and water would cause all sorts of havoc.

First thing I'd try is the other key just to discount that it's not the key that's causing issues.

Then I'd try putting the battery on charge for a bit (or try a jump start just incase the battery is holding voltage but is lacking current).

If you've checked the fuses in the dash, there are some on top of the battery area in the engine bay which are worth checking (much bigger engine related fuses). Then check the earth straps are all OK and forming good earth to the body.

If still no luck I'm afraid you need to get someone with a fault code reader / possible recovery.

Checked all the fuses, earths seem fine, done the 30 min re set. No change. Just fires up and then cuts out straight away as if immobilised. And now sporadic lights appearing and disappearing

I spoke to the guy we use at work for any diagnostics and he seems to think it could be cluster/ clocks failure.

He pointed me in the direction of a place that repair the cluster units for £135.

Oh well it looks like Evan's halshaw will hopefully be footing the bill again as I'm still within m 3 month warranty.

I do hope this is not going to be one of "those" cars!

So, just had a call from Evan's halshaw. They unloaded the car from the transporter and it started first time so they claim!

They have run a diagnostic and the only thing logged was a dodgy water temp sensor?

I'm convinced there must be a fault with the cluster/ immobiliser though after my findings yesterday??

Can the clusters be sporadic in their behaviour? Working and then not? I don't get this one??

The car is now making me look slighty stupid! ****** knew that would happen...

Hello,

I have the same problem with my 2006 A3, how did you sort this out?

Thanks,
Radek