Volks AutosEM Tuning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By S3_Jacko

Thread: 09 Plate A3 Facelift Coming Home Lights Succesfully Enabled!

Different Gear

Status

09 Plate A3 Facelift Coming Home Lights Succesfully Enabled!

Just got back from having my Coming Home and Leaving Home Lights enabled on my Facelift 2009 A3 by Ash. Was a quick 2 minute job done via VCDS without any cabling etc. We're not sure if it will work the same way with any later models, even the 59 plate might not work. If anyone else has achieved it on a 59/10 plate onwards let us all know.

Appreciate your time this morning Ash, I hope you've got your feet up after the MAJOR mod you were secretly doing yesterday. All to be revealed shortly I believe

He has also filled my head with various mod ideas which although is good, it means dipping deep into the wallet!
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    if ash wants to test this coming home feature in my 61 plate S3 he's more than welcome....
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    if ash wants to test this coming home feature in my 61 plate S3 he's more than welcome....
    I second that, would be great to have this feature and not too far away from North London.

A3 Kent / Ash what did you enable with VCDS to enable this feature?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aky20 View Post
    I second that, would be great to have this feature and not too far away from North London.

A3 Kent / Ash what did you enable with VCDS to enable this feature?
    Same question as above........ my VCDS cable arrives tmrw so would be grateful to know how to do it.
    2008 A3 (8P3) 2.0 TDI (170) S Line Sportback - Lava Grey - MFSW - Parrot Bluetooth - S Line Half Black Leather - Aux In - Cruise Control - Centre Armrest - Bi Xenons.
    Mods: RNS-E. AMI with I-Pod. LED Upgrades Throughout. S3 Pedals. Debadged. Rear PDC. Non-Smokers Pack. VCDS Cable Interface. CH/LH Lights. S3 Black Optics Grille. Pressed Plates.
    Next: FBMFSW ??

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Well there are a few combos of coding tick boxes you can try, but none are guaranteed as in the end of the day it is a hack of a feature that usually only comes with cars that have auto lights.
    So in VCDS go to central electrics (09) followed by coding, then long coding helper, in the first byte tick the box that says coming home enabled. If you do not have that option on the very first byte then it may not work for you but you could still fish around and see what 'coming home' coding you have.
    As I told Chris before he made his way over to me it is not a guaranteed mod, I have had issues on a 2011 car in the past so try it at your own risk, and always make a note of any changes you make so you can go back and undo the change you have done if anything goes wrong.

Chris it was a pleasure to meet you, hope I didn't put too many evil ideas in your head... Last thing I need is your misses blaming me for your new addiction lol
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

1st Gear

Status
    So how does it work without the light sensor? Do they not come on in the day time too?
    A1 | 1.4 TFSI | S-Line | Misano Red

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Baffles View Post
    So how does it work without the light sensor? Do they not come on in the day time too?
    That's the thing; they will come on regardless of what time of day it is lol unless you retro-fit the light sensor etc

I disable mine during the summer months and have now re-enabled them as I leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

Different Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Baffles View Post
    Regardless of time of day, when you open the drivers door to get out your headlights will come on for 20/30 seconds and then automatically go out regardless of whether you lock it or not.

Then when you return to the car and unlock from your key fob the headlights automatically come on until you open the drivers door.

I would have preferred it if it was just the fog lights that came on as it's less subtle but I believe thats for the later models (10-11 plate etc?). Still, it works for me, espeically with it getting darker earlier in the evenings.

Thanks again Ash
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

Neutral

Status
    Managed to get this working tonight...... literally just had to check the CH/LH boxes in byte 0 in adaptation and all was good. Now appears in the DIS and can turn off CH in there as well by just changing the duration to zero seconds (LH is either on or off).
    2008 A3 (8P3) 2.0 TDI (170) S Line Sportback - Lava Grey - MFSW - Parrot Bluetooth - S Line Half Black Leather - Aux In - Cruise Control - Centre Armrest - Bi Xenons.
    Mods: RNS-E. AMI with I-Pod. LED Upgrades Throughout. S3 Pedals. Debadged. Rear PDC. Non-Smokers Pack. VCDS Cable Interface. CH/LH Lights. S3 Black Optics Grille. Pressed Plates.

Different Gear

Status
    Good stuff. Your's must be a 58 plate?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Kent View Post
    Good stuff. Your's must be a 58 plate?
    Certainly is. Was surprised how easy it was to be honest, given the amount of issues people seem to be having.....

Different Gear

Status
    Yeah I think it's only easy on the 58 and 09 plate, maybe the 59 plate too although no ones confirmed this as yet. Anything later and it's not possible we think. The A3's before (8P2) need an additional cable I think.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinners View Post
    Certainly is. Was surprised how easy it was to be honest, given the amount of issues people seem to be having.....
    Looks like I might have spoken to soon. With the CH/LH lights enabled via VCDS but turned off in the DIS the headlights are now permanently on when the switch is set to DRL. Sidelight 'icon' on the switch is lit and the interior eqpt lit as it would be if you had the switch on side or headlight. Odd!!

Doing my head in! so have disabled in the interim. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Tinners; 27th October 2012 at 00:14.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Will this work on a 12 plate ??

Different Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Msphotographic View Post
    Will this work on a 12 plate ??
    we don't know, find someone with vcds in your area and give it a go and then report back with your findings.

1st Gear

Status
    Question to Ash or A3Kent I suppose, but what did Ash change or set in VCDS for this to work if I may ask please?
    I've got VCDS so would be keen to know what was done?

Thanks.

Different Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    Well there are a few combos of coding tick boxes you can try, but none are guaranteed as in the end of the day it is a hack of a feature that usually only comes with cars that have auto lights.
    So in VCDS go to central electrics (09) followed by coding, then long coding helper, in the first byte tick the box that says coming home enabled. If you do not have that option on the very first byte then it may not work for you but you could still fish around and see what 'coming home' coding you have.
    As I told Chris before he made his way over to me it is not a guaranteed mod, I have had issues on a 2011 car in the past so try it at your own risk, and always make a note of any changes you make so you can go back and undo the change you have done if anything goes wrong.

Chris it was a pleasure to meet you, hope I didn't put too many evil ideas in your head... Last thing I need is your misses blaming me for your new addiction lol
    does this not say then?

1st Gear

Status
    does this not say then?
    Not really fella, it's very light on detail. Ash must've done more than drive to see you to enable a single checkbox?

It describes one check box in the CE 09 Module which won't do much on it's own. It's also one I've personally enabled in VCDS and tested with unsuccessful results.
    Ticking that box is the same as enabling the tick box in your DIS for activating coming home lights, which I've also tried and was also unsuccessful.

Clearly these cars, where ticking this box in the CE module in VCDS enables coming/leaving home lights, have something else present either in their CECM's or have another wiring feature that my car does not, otherwise it would be very simple to enable.

I'm very technically interested to find out what that component(s) or items(s) is/are because it clearly ain't just as simple as that... Ash mentions no further wiring is needed, which means something must already be present that we don't know about, or, we haven't considered (or this would consistently work on other cars including the 2010 CECM A3's).

I'm willing to hack and play to get progress on this...

Cheers.

Different Gear

Status
    Well I think, and it'll need Ash to confirm, that all he did was tick a box.

like Ash has said though, he's tried it on other later A3's and its a no go so its obviously something different on later models. How late, we don't know and hoped that others would try on there 59, 10, 60, 11...etc and post back if it works.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just got back from having my Coming Home and Leaving Home Lights enabled on my Facelift 2009 A3 by Ash. Was a quick 2 minute job done via VCDS without any cabling etc. We're not sure if it will work the same way with any later models, even the 59 plate might not work. If anyone else has achieved it on a 59/10 plate onwards let us all know.

Appreciate your time this morning Ash, I hope you've got your feet up after the MAJOR mod you were secretly doing yesterday. All to be revealed shortly I believe

He has also filled my head with various mod ideas which although is good, it means dipping deep into the wallet!
    Hi Guys
    I have successfully enabled this today on my 58 plate A3 SportBack
    It was so straight forward - VCDS - clciked a tick box and then clicked do it - job done
    What is the difference with later A3's ????

Reverse Gear

Status
    Looks like I might have spoken to soon. With the CH/LH lights enabled via VCDS but turned off in the DIS the headlights are now permanently on when the switch is set to DRL. Sidelight 'icon' on the switch is lit and the interior eqpt lit as it would be if you had the switch on side or headlight. Odd!!

Hi Tinners
    I tried this too and got exactly the same result I just disabled the LH option and all was well

Neutral

Status
    I have a 59 plate and would love to try to get this to work on mine.. if anyone is in the Midlands area that has VCDS and would give it a go for me please let me know...

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow R90 STL On Twitter Add R90 STL on Facebook Visit R90 STL's Instagram Channel
    Doesn't look like it is possible to activate these on a 59 plate tried it tonight on mine
    Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 Tdi DSG - Black Audi rings - Private plate - RS3 grill - C Quartz ceramic coating - Stage 1 remap - 50mm H&R Springs - SOLD

MY11​ Imola Yellow S3 - Black Edition - DSG - RNS-E - Sunroof - RS3 grill - H&R 25mm springs - Shark Performance stage 1

Reverse Gear

Status

Was there a fix for this? I have had this problem, but even though leaving home has been disabled via VCDS, the headlights still come on when the car is unlocked.

1st Gear

Status
    I might have misunderstood some or most of this thread but I've activated both Coming Home and Leaving Home functions by ticking boxes in DIS menus on my 2011 S3. Only works at night and with light switch on auto but couldn't have been easier and I'm rubbish at anything technical. So, have I just been lucky or is that normal?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonka Toy View Post
    I might have misunderstood some or most of this thread but I've activated both Coming Home and Leaving Home functions by ticking boxes in DIS menus on my 2011 S3. Only works at night and with light switch on auto but couldn't have been easier and I'm rubbish at anything technical. So, have I just been lucky or is that normal?
    Quite normal... Took me 10 minutes to do it on a mates car
    Tonka Toy likes this.
    Audi history... Brilliant Red 2.0tfsi Quattro, Sprint Blue S3...