Stalling TDi

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
Anyone had a problem with their 2.0TDi stalling? It's kinda embarrassing, especially as I have DSG.

It's done it a few times - first couple from cold, when reversing out of my space at home, so I put it down to that, but it has now done it when warm just trying to pull away.

No lights on the dash, nothing. Just stops.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

there is a software update available from audi for this problem as mine was done a couple of months back

Sounds strange Spence, i didn't think you could stall an automatic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Cheers LUGGS, it's due in to Audi in a while anyway so I will mention it to them.

It's not really stalling, I should have titled it cutting out, but it feels like the car is stalling, and it only seems to happen when I am just feathering the throttle to pull away.

[Edit] and anyway, as I have tried explaining to everyone I work with;
DSG IS NOT AN AUTOMATIC GEARBOX! IT IS A MANUAL GEARBOX WITH AN AUTOMATIC CLUTCH!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif
Yeah, right!

Ah well, I will have to see what the great Gods of all things 4-Ringed have to say about it, lol.

sounds like my old WR1 when the air con was on, the air con drew to much power for the poor little 2.0 engine to cope with !!!

Had delta Dash increase the idle to 1200 rpm !!! and it was sorted.

mine was exactly the same with just for foot resting on the gas ready to move suddenly it would cut out stone dead with no warning

But you drive it like an automatic Spence. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Damn! I knew taking you out in it would let my secret out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

Yeah, mine does this occasionally - although when it does, it's ALWAYS when either idling or low-revs manouvering. maybe 8 times in the 11 months i've had it.

Same for my TDI, but again only when cold and only when manouvering at low speed. It has happened when reversing off the drive in the mornings. I generally reverse out of the garage and again off the drive without applying any pressure on the accelerator. Most of the time it's fine but every once in a while it cuts out.

Mine too!

I can only reverse out of our drive, and usually just let it roll back without any throttle, most of the time it is quite happy, then on the odd occasion it has a funny moment and cuts out. Has happend probably 3 times in the 7 months I have had. I put it down the DSG box.

Never had this stalling problem, but do know there was a software patch / update to solve this very problem on the TT3.2 DSG's.

i thought the wholw point of owning a TDi was to be able to manuver on tickover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

accelerate in 1st 2nd and 3rd - On Tickover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know i do in my VW Tdi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

99% of the time I can, it's just every once in a while it decides not to play and cuts out rather than stalls. TDIs are only human after all!

I'm pretty sure its a DSG thing rather than a TDi thing - the GB causes the engine to stall rather than the engine cutting out due to not having enough torque to do what is requested.

[ QUOTE ]
99% of the time I can, it's just every once in a while it decides not to play and cuts out rather than stalls. TDIs are only human after all!

[/ QUOTE ]

is it when the air con is on ?
there must be a link ?

What rpm does the engine idle at with / without the air con on ?