JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
Results 1 to 28 of 28
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By kanecullen89
  • 4 Post By warren_S5
  • 2 Post By profidriver
  • 1 Post By blackz_11
  • 1 Post By notta3

Thread: Plastidip grill guide (Bumper on)

  1. #1
    kanecullen89's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    357

    Plastidip grill guide (Bumper on)

    Hi all,

    Just thought I'd post a guide on how I plastidipped my front chrome grill without removing the bumper. Plastidip guides and pictures have been fairly well covered on this forum but I couldn't find much about applying the dip without removing the bumper so I though I'd share my experiences.
    I know that it would have been ideal to remove the bumper but I'm not hugely confident with unbolting parts!

    All original:
    IMG_1262.jpg

    My daughter's Po happy with my purchase:
    IMG_1263.jpg

    Bought a clear plastidip to shatterproof a glass screen we have. Have not used this yet.
    Car all prepped and covered. I cleaned the grill and dried it as best as I could and used masking tape and news paper to cover the body and centre of the grill (want to keep the different shades of black with body and inside of grill):
    IMG_1265.jpg

    First coat applied, got to be a fairly light coat to allow the plastidip to bond properly on the following coats:
    IMG_1267.jpg

    This is the finish after the 3rd coat, the idea is to keep the can fairly close to the grill while still creating an even coverage. If the can is too far away it starts to blob:
    IMG_1269.jpg

    The finished product after 5 coats, I had to be careful when peeling off the masking tape not to get carried away and peel off a large chunk of plastidip. The dip that went on to the paint work was simple to just peel off. I'm really happy with how easy it was and how good the finish is!:
    IMG_1271.jpg

    Let me know what you think

    Kane
    pinterovski and peposhi like this.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    33
    really good job mate, also want get plastidip to do chrome grill, do it exactly same way like you, it is wasting time take off bumper, maybe do alloy wheel aswell

  4. #3
    kanecullen89's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by profidriver View Post
    really good job mate, also want get plastidip to do chrome grill, do it exactly same way like you, it is wasting time take off bumper, maybe do alloy wheel aswell
    Thanks mate. I'm really happy with the end result. Completely changes the front end and so easy to do! Do it!!

  5. #4
    Stol1975's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    227

    Plastidip grill guide (Bumper on)

    Looks fab. I have been on you tube and seen alloys done in this and am thinking of having a crack at it. How many cans do you think it will require? Was one enough for your grill?
    Would it look good on wheels? I would appreciate your thoughts?

  6. #5
    kanecullen89's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Stol1975 View Post
    Looks fab. I have been on you tube and seen alloys done in this and am thinking of having a crack at it. How many cans do you think it will require? Was one enough for your grill?
    Would it look good on wheels? I would appreciate your thoughts?
    Thanks for the comment. One can was easily enough for the grill. I'd say that I've used less than half the can.
    I have seen wheels been plastidip, it's personally not my cup of tea but I can see the appeal. If it was me I'd probably go for a refurb and powder coating with the wheels at only £50 a corner.
    I would say that you would need quite a few cans to do a proper job and the hardest part would be the cleaning of the wheel. You want the surface to be as clean as possible otherwise it was be bubbled and peel and getting stuck on grime removed from the surface of the wheel can be near on impossible without sand blasting.
    i'd be very interested to see how you get on though

  7. #6
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,135
    I was trying to read the sex kitten story in the newspaper at the top right hand corner of the grill, but the spray job looks first class. Big improvement.

  8. #7
    Stol1975's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    227

    Plastidip grill guide (Bumper on)

    The attraction of plasti dip is its removable if you decide you don't like it or it has gone wrong. I will give the grill a go and decide if I like it close up I think.

  9. #8
    bleedout's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Musselburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    69
    does make a huge diff for such a small modification.
    has anyone also dont the plastic inner grill at the same time? trying to think if it would just be a bit too much of a change.

  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    33
    just your Opinion. A3 in Ibis White and thinking to plastidip 5 spoke alloy wheel. What colour of wheel you like on white car? plastidip in BLACK, WHITE or idea BLUE?

    what you think about R8 alloy wheel on A3? really like them.
    18" R8 V10 SPIDER ALLOY WHEELS AUDI TT S3 MK2 A4 A6 A8 TDI FSI SEAT LEON VW GOLF | eBay

  11. #10
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    30
    how the grill holding up mate?

  12. #11
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    492
    how is the grill now mate is the plastidip holding up ok ?





    Quote Originally Posted by kanecullen89 View Post
    Hi all,

    Just thought I'd post a guide on how I plastidipped my front chrome grill without removing the bumper. Plastidip guides and pictures have been fairly well covered on this forum but I couldn't find much about applying the dip without removing the bumper so I though I'd share my experiences.
    I know that it would have been ideal to remove the bumper but I'm not hugely confident with unbolting parts!

    All original:
    IMG_1262.jpg

    My daughter's Po happy with my purchase:
    IMG_1263.jpg

    Bought a clear plastidip to shatterproof a glass screen we have. Have not used this yet.
    Car all prepped and covered. I cleaned the grill and dried it as best as I could and used masking tape and news paper to cover the body and centre of the grill (want to keep the different shades of black with body and inside of grill):
    IMG_1265.jpg

    First coat applied, got to be a fairly light coat to allow the plastidip to bond properly on the following coats:
    IMG_1267.jpg

    This is the finish after the 3rd coat, the idea is to keep the can fairly close to the grill while still creating an even coverage. If the can is too far away it starts to blob:
    IMG_1269.jpg

    The finished product after 5 coats, I had to be careful when peeling off the masking tape not to get carried away and peel off a large chunk of plastidip. The dip that went on to the paint work was simple to just peel off. I'm really happy with how easy it was and how good the finish is!:
    IMG_1271.jpg

    Let me know what you think

    Kane

  13. #12
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5
    Done this today on my sline, will post the pics in here instead of making a new thread as its pointless.

    But let me say that peeling off the masking tape without trying to peel the plastidip is a BALL ACHE ! Make sure you use a stanley blade.

    I also glossed mine, pics will follow !

  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    30

    Re: Plastidip grill guide (Bumper on)

    Pics mate?

  15. #14
    ApolloS3's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by profidriver View Post
    just your Opinion. A3 in Ibis White and thinking to plastidip 5 spoke alloy wheel. What colour of wheel you like on white car? plastidip in BLACK, WHITE or idea BLUE?

    what you think about R8 alloy wheel on A3? really like them.
    18" R8 V10 SPIDER ALLOY WHEELS AUDI TT S3 MK2 A4 A6 A8 TDI FSI SEAT LEON VW GOLF | eBay
    Im also thinking of plasti-dipping my S3's wheels black/gunmetal/black+silver. Dont know how it would compare to having them pro-painted though...

  16. #15
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    33

    plastidip

    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloS3 View Post
    Im also thinking of plasti-dipping my S3's wheels black/gunmetal/black+silver. Dont know how it would compare to having them pro-painted though...
    do it, looks different, allready done it

    did 3 coats and used 1 can for 4 wheels only
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by profidriver; 10th February 2013 at 20:12.

  17. #16
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    33

    Front grill

    plastidiped front grill surround from chrome to matt black
    Attached Images Attached Images
    peposhi and Compkiler like this.

  18. #17
    ApolloS3's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by profidriver View Post
    do it, looks different, allready done it

    did 3 coats and used 1 can for 4 wheels only
    Firstly, thank you - i was reading like 3/4 cans everywhere,

    secondly, those wheels look awesome!

  19. #18
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloS3 View Post
    Firstly, thank you - i was reading like 3/4 cans everywhere,

    secondly, those wheels look awesome!
    thank you aswell,
    done 3 coats only, someones do 4-5 coats

  20. #19
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5

    Pics

    Sorry about the delay lads!

    Here's the pics of my plastidip grill with bumper on:

    This is my sline before getting down to business

    IMG-20130213-WA000.jpg

    I then masked the grill, so only the surround was showing, I wanted to keep the orginal colour of the inner grill

    IMG-20130213-WA001.jpg

    First coat was only 50% transparency, make sure you keep the can warm and shake well. This is it after 3-4 coats

    IMG-20130213-WA002.jpg

    I wanted the gloss finish like the black edition so I brought the plastidip glossifier in a spray can. I gave my grill about another 3-4 coats of the gloss, it all depends how shiny you want your finish to look.

    IMG-20130213-WA003.jpg

    This is it fully done, im 100% happy with the job and suprised how well its holding out! Had rain and snow the day after I had completed it and it hasn't defected one bit !

    IMG-20130210-WA001.jpg
    discostu49 likes this.

  21. #20
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    492
    looks good mate i am going to do mine i think but i need to do the whole grill as the middle bit is a a grey colour so i will have to try and get something behind to keep it off the rad and everything else










    Quote Originally Posted by blackz_11 View Post
    Sorry about the delay lads!

    Here's the pics of my plastidip grill with bumper on:

    This is my sline before getting down to business

    IMG-20130213-WA000.jpg

    I then masked the grill, so only the surround was showing, I wanted to keep the orginal colour of the inner grill

    IMG-20130213-WA001.jpg

    First coat was only 50% transparency, make sure you keep the can warm and shake well. This is it after 3-4 coats

    IMG-20130213-WA002.jpg

    I wanted the gloss finish like the black edition so I brought the plastidip glossifier in a spray can. I gave my grill about another 3-4 coats of the gloss, it all depends how shiny you want your finish to look.

    IMG-20130213-WA003.jpg

    This is it fully done, im 100% happy with the job and suprised how well its holding out! Had rain and snow the day after I had completed it and it hasn't defected one bit !

    IMG-20130210-WA001.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #21
    notta3's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    23
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I did this to my A3 recently, a really simple quick mod that has a big effect! Before and after pics are below.

    I went for 4 coats with about half an hour drying time in between, its left a nice matt black finish to the surround. When masking up try not to have the tape near the area you want to cover, its far easier to peel plastidip off than it is to try and tease the tape away without taking it off the grille!

    I've had a couple of long hauls through gritted and gravel roads, gave it a quick check today and no defects so far, its impressive stuff. I can see how people get carried away and plastidip EVERYTHING!! Has anyone plastidipped their roof?

    Photo 21-02-2013 15 28 44.jpgPhoto 21-02-2013 15 58 18.jpgPhoto 21-02-2013 17 40 51.jpg
    peposhi likes this.

  23. #22
    Stol1975's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    227

    Plastidip grill guide (Bumper on)

    Looks great. The black on red really looks simple and cool if you know what I mean. Clean looking you might say.

  24. #23
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    39
    Attention Southylad - are you going to plastidip spray your original grille or the FK one you bought? Have you fitted the FK one yet?
    I have one to fit but if it is going to cause problems then maybe not.

    Thanks.

  25. #24
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    492
    hi mate i have plastidipped the chrome frame on my oem grill for now but i am going to fit the fk grill as it has a meaner look about it as it has far less verticle supports in it and looks better, i have seen user gazzago's fk grill fitted to his car and it looks good, i am going to spray my standard s line grill when i take it off anyway because some of the chrome has come off so might aswell have it for a spare all blacked out ready eh hope this helps mate cheers




    Quote Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
    Attention Southylad - are you going to plastidip spray your original grille or the FK one you bought? Have you fitted the FK one yet?
    I have one to fit but if it is going to cause problems then maybe not.

    Thanks.

  26. #25
    TDI140's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,333
    Where did you buy the plasti dip from is there local plases its available as on the youtube vidz all the americans say home depo stores (B&Q) etc etc
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

  27. #26
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Plastidip grill guide (Bumper on)

    Quote Originally Posted by TDI140 View Post
    Where did you buy the plasti dip from is there local plases its available as on the youtube vidz all the americans say home depo stores (B&Q) etc etc
    Plasti dip direct, frost ltd or eBay..

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  28. #27
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    perth scotland
    Posts
    421
    Think I'm going to plasti dip my grill
    Audi a3 3.2 v6 sport back ,s-line, Dolphin Grey with factory tints, deg sat nav, bose speakers, 18 upgraded alloys, magnaflow exhaust, eibach pro kit springs

  29. #28
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    29

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. bumper and grill guide for dummies
    By jbaudi in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26th April 2012, 20:22
  2. My S4 grill and bumper mods...
    By AndyC in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 28th July 2011, 03:46
  3. s3 front grill + rear bumper/valance question/opinions
    By woody03 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th July 2011, 20:09
  4. s4 lower grill (sline bumper)
    By amar06fbr in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10th March 2011, 18:50
  5. front grills QUATTRO BUMPER
    By afy786 in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st August 2008, 12:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO