HELP!! I'm thinking the worst...

DJ-S3

Reaction score
Photo

Not sure if you can see that (taken on iphone) but when changing my drl (S3 56plate) i seem to have broken the reflector part but also one of the 3parts that holds the bulb into the unit.

My worry is that i'm going to have to replace the whole headlight unit?

Has anyone else done this or is it just me being a muppet?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Dom

Doesn't look good from what I can see, will allow ingress of dirt and moisture. Likely you will be changing something, but whether it will be the whole unit????

It's not the rear part that, i can still close the headlight unit so no dirt can enter it's just that the drl bulb wont go back into the slot where you twist it into the holder. It wobbles and sits funny, like its not in.

Is the cracked part floating about in the headlight unit?

If the bulb can't be located securely I'd say its inevitable you will have to replace the headlight unit as I'm sure it's one piece.

I couldn't find it. It's like it's vanished.

Oh great.

That sounds bad, does it look like you can get the reflector part out? If audi will only sell you a new unit, you could try and get one from a scrappy that has s good reflector but broken lens? Should be cheaper than a brand new or second hand one.

I think I saw a mod to blacken the non reflector parts in a4 b6 headlights, iirc it involved some warming or baking to soften the glue to get them apart?

Not sure, i'd have to take the headlight unit out to find out.