Chris NottEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1st Gear

Status

OEM S-line A3 Alloys - plastidip in gloss black?

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on a 2007 Lava grey S-line, if the original alloys are PlastiDip'd in gloss black?
    (would cost less than it would for the alloys to be wrapped + its a DIY job)

These are the alloys i am on about...

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Nahhhh contrasting silver is better, gloss black with those wheels on a dark car looks a bit....errr dare I say it, Birmingham-ish.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Status
    It'll be gloss interior shine for the seats and dash next with limo tints to suit.

Dont do it!
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Depends on what theme you want to go with. Constrasting, Black against silver, or gunmetal, satin/gloss black etc..

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Leave it as it is, it looks smart and classy. Gloss black wheels are anything but those things and you car will look like a modified shed! A more stubtle darker shade of silver would work but don't go too dark IMO.

The problem with Plastidip is that is had good properties to deflect stone chips due to it's rubbery properties but it's like a skin and if you catch the wheel or it decides to come off a bit it will peel!

1st Gear

Status
    yeahh, i thought i would experiment with plastidip as it looks promising!

I would prefer anthracite colour for the alloys over black. But they dont do that specific colour in plastidip.
    Maybe get it wrapped in anthracite?

I dont want a permanent paint job, and i dont want to fork out for new wheels (as BBS Ck would be the perfect alloys), but then id have to lower it. And as you know, the cost builds up!

3rd Gear

Status
    Can you get Matt Black Plastidip? If so, thats the way i'd go, i think black shiny wheels look a bit cheap but thats my opinion.

1st Gear

Status
    yeah, plastidip only comes as MATTE.
    You need to buy the 'glossifier', which turns it glossy lol.

looks a bit....errr dare I say it, Birmingham-ish.
    Funny you should say that, I am from Birmingham!!

1st Gear

Status
    As your in Brum anyways, just take them to City Powder Coaters Ltd. Birmingham. 0121 448 7646.

£20 a wheel in practically any colour

p.s Im also a Brummie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Best84 View Post
    As your in Brum anyways, just take them to City Powder Coaters Ltd. Birmingham. 0121 448 7646.

p.s Im also a Brummie
    £20 a wheel!? too good to be true?

1st Gear

Status
    Website says it all... lol

I aint personally used them (yet) but i have read good things on here about them

Edit: Just read its £20 for stock colours, and to add £10 if u want them to remove tyre and rebalance etc.

Still £30 seems good to me. even better if your pally pally with your local tyre shop

1st Gear

Status
    Go to lap tab. And go for full refurb. Been there done that and well worth the visit. Don't go black it will look like a right wagon. But hey ho that's just my opinion

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    add £10 if u want them to remove tyre and rebalance etc.
    When I offer full refurbs, the process is:

Tyres removed
    Wheels stripped
    Sandblasted
    Primed
    Powdercoated
    Laquered
    Baked
    Tyres Back on

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

Status
    Ok slight hijack here, but still "wheely" relevant!..

I have Rotors 18", how much to have them painted/or whatever'd so the silvery diamond cut bits on the outer face to be made white? (like the RS3, mostly seen in red though)

ie this..but perhaps Matte black where its gloss

1st Gear

Status
    I have heard really ropey things about that city powder coatings place, attend of the day £20 each when other companies charge £300 ish for a set, i think the difference will be obvious. By all accounts you'd probably get a better finish with plastidip yourself! You could do the the Matt black then their metalizer over the top and if done lightly might give an anthracite like finish?

Or just buy my genuine 19" ck I have for sale for a bargain price!

Haha.
    Wanted - a pillar covers, leather interior, rear bumper, standard head lining

1st Gear

Status
    its not like i work for them so its upto you. I have heard decent things about them and have read on this very forum decent things about them.

Just trying to lend a hand :D

3rd Gear

Status
    hi mate when i first got my car it was same colour as yours and i got the wheels done gloss black it looked ok but not great a lighter color suites that color better

also stay away from plastidip it is sh!t, goes on well and works really well covering kurb marks etc however i recently done my girlfriends golf gt tdi wheels white , finish n look was amazing however been white soon got dirty went to clean them and it says dont use a brush as it could peal, i ended up using a brush as due to its rubber like texture i couldnt get them clean but even with a brush still couldnt get them clean , so decided to remove the plastidip, what a total nightmare, took 3 hours to remove one wheel and my fingers where killing, took the car to work the next day and used 150 degree C pressure washer on them , which removed the plastidip no bother but a total ball ake and not what it makes out to be.

hope this helps in some way but i wont be using the stuff again

chris

MY S-LINE 2.0TDI HYBRID PROGRESS

MY PROGRESS THREAD

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1988brown View Post
    hi mate when i first got my car it was same colour as yours and i got the wheels done gloss black it looked ok but not great a lighter color suites that color better

also stay away from plastidip it is sh!t, goes on well and works really well covering kurb marks etc however i recently done my girlfriends golf gt tdi wheels white , finish n look was amazing however been white soon got dirty went to clean them and it says dont use a brush as it could peal, i ended up using a brush as due to its rubber like texture i couldnt get them clean but even with a brush still couldnt get them clean , so decided to remove the plastidip, what a total nightmare, took 3 hours to remove one wheel and my fingers where killing, took the car to work the next day and used 150 degree C pressure washer on them , which removed the plastidip no bother but a total ball ake and not what it makes out to be.

hope this helps in some way but i wont be using the stuff again

chris
    Thank you for your reply!! Great advice.

im very tempted to wrap the wheels now myself. Anthracite colour. NOT GLOSS BLACK YOU'D ALL BE HAPPY TO KNOW
    1 wheel at a time takes 30 mins when wrapping.

Do you have a picture of your S-line wheels in gloss black?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marwayg View Post
    Thank you for your reply!! Great advice.

im very tempted to wrap the wheels now myself. Anthracite colour. NOT GLOSS BLACK YOU'D ALL BE HAPPY TO KNOW
    1 wheel at a time takes 30 mins when wrapping.

Do you have a picture of your S-line wheels in gloss black?

hi mate glad it was of some help and saved you alot of hassle lol

here is a pic of my car whan it was lava grey and with gloss black alloys

cheers chris

MY PROGRESS THREAD

1st Gear

Status
    Wow, i totally know what you mean!! Im definately not doing gloss black anymore! Anthracite or keep original silver!
    Did you have it lowered? Don't want to fork out any more money JUST to lower it (not sure how pricey it could be)

What wheels are you selling btw?

3rd Gear

Status
    ye the black didnt go too well with gray. however that pic aint the best when the car was clean and i the sun they looked well together
    yes it is lowered in the pic on ap coilovers
    im seling gloss black 18" bbs ch's

MY PROGRESS THREAD

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Wow, i totally know what you mean!! Im definately not doing gloss black anymore! Anthracite or keep original silver!
    Did you have it lowered? Don't want to fork out any more money JUST to lower it (not sure how pricey it could be)

What wheels are you selling btw?
    Keep it original silver, the photo above on matt/anthracite just looks rough/dirty all the time to me, it might be a really nice car but I just don't get the dark wheel look on normal road cars. See so many ropey looking old A3s and MK5 Golfs with black wheels now, looks she--ite too me and I find often being driven by certain "types"!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1988brown View Post
    ye the black didnt go too well with gray. however that pic aint the best when the car was clean and i the sun they looked well together
    yes it is lowered in the pic on ap coilovers
    im seling gloss black 18" bbs ch's
    Id love BBS CH's in the near future. But ive been put off gloss black now
    Anthracite is the way forward! but for now, im going to keep these alloys in Silver as they are standard.
    When i get new alloys, ill have them in Anthracite. Hopefully BBS CH's

Enthusiast

Status

Re: OEM S-line A3 Alloys - plastidip in gloss black?

p.s Im also a Brummie
    I wouldn't use those cowboys.
    VCDS USER

1st Gear

Status
    Ignoring the alloys now, What do you guys think about plastidipping my grille (matte black) ?

Split Grill!

Status
    I did mine, very easy but does start to peel in the corners. needs a bit of tlc now.

PS, those nasty mirrors have gone
    ....................I'll make a build thread one day.

2nd Gear

Status
    Just be careful when using plastidip, as it can easily look tacky - Personally im not a fan of the wheels being plastidipped, and I have seem it done in flesh.

Here is the grill on our A3 before and after -

BEFORE

AFTER

Opinions welcome!
    Picked up on the 30th May!

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

1st Gear

Status
    @ MTLR, How did you spray yours?? did you just mask up or take the whole bumper off?

I did this on my split grill just last week and i took the bumper off etc and sprayed the entire upper grill (minus rings)

just would like to know if i am to expect the peeling too, I sprayed the whole thing because i thought if there its and entire layer it may stop/minimize and peeling.

2nd Gear

Status
    How many coats did you apply?

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

1st Gear

Status
    6-7

2nd Gear

Status
    More than enough! I put on 4 decent one's and so far i've only had one stone chip which I touched up, I haven't had any peeling or anything

1st Gear

Status
    Any idea what size of the plastidip can you need?

Also it comes out MATTE, but when you did it on your grille, did you use glossifier to give the gloss effect?
    Not sure whether you needed it gloss as your A3 is white.
    Mine is Lava grey, so im not sure whether matte would suffice.

1st Gear

Status
    @ MTLR, How did you spray yours?? did you just mask up or take the whole bumper off?

I did this on my split grill just last week and i took the bumper off etc and sprayed the entire upper grill (minus rings)

just would like to know if i am to expect the peeling too, I sprayed the whole thing because i thought if there its and entire layer it may stop/minimize and peeling.
    Very good question....
    Do i need to plastidip the 'already black' grille itself? Or can i get away with doing the Chrome bit?
    Because the grille it self is a cross-section pattern, and could be very tricky getting every corner of it plastidipped.

What do you reckon?

1st Gear

Status
    Here's a plastidip grill mini guide I posted recently:

Plastidip grill guide (Bumper on)

1st Gear

Status

OEM S-line A3 Alloys - plastidip in gloss black?

I've got my can of plastidip and will attempt the chrome bit of my grill as soon as I get a few hours away from the Misses. She's not a fan of modding the car. I find its better to do it and explain later haha. Though she seems to like the internal LEDs.

1st Gear

Status
    Very good question....
    Do i need to plastidip the 'already black' grille itself? Or can i get away with doing the Chrome bit?
    Because the grille it self is a cross-section pattern, and could be very tricky getting every corner of it plastidipped.

What do you reckon?

you dont need to as the difference in colour is slight. I did the whole lot just masked up the rings as i have a sort of ocd when it comes to my car, so that slight difference would have wound me up something rotten!!! :D

i also went over the fog surrounds too lol

Split Grill!

Status
    Very good question....

What do you reckon?
    1st time I did it I took the entire front bumper off and took it inside to do a careful job of it. masked up around the edges leaving a small 1mm gap so the spray can get down the crevices. For the inside main bit of the grille I tried to mask up as best I could but it was hard because it would get in the way. i found that any bits you over spray you can just rub off if you are quick or peel off later.
    I didn't want to do the whole of the grill, not sure why.

Mine started to peel a few weeks later because I used some "back to black" stuff on the main part of the grill, plastidip didn't seem to like this.

So 2nd time I just took the top screws off the top of the bumper and lay some old towels down in between the grill and the radiator then masked up and went to town. did about 5 light coats and 1 heavy coat on top of primer. Has lasted fine up until last week, I can see a corner starting to come up off the chrome. I think this is where I missed a bit of primer to be honest.

Im just going to cut into the corner and spray a couple more coats in that spot. Should sort it out. Its pretty robust stuff so I wouldn't worry.

1st Gear

Status
    Right, im conviced to try it on the Chrome surround of grille, fogs surround, and rear s-line diffuser. All of which (except grille surround) is already grey plastic bumper colour!

Going to buy JUST 1 CAN - Matte black. Should this be okay? Also, where do you guys buy the plastidip from?

(p.s. i love the mini guide!! )

Split Grill!

Status
    Id say 1 can would stretch just about, id play safe and go for 2 tho if I wanted to do so much. Always handy to have some left over anyway.

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/

1st Gear

Status
    Bought my first can!! :D
    Cannot wait to see the end result!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast