Getting factory fitted ipod lead to work (concert stereo)

Beans

Reaction score
Hi all, my car has a factory fitted ipod lead in the glove box (car year: 2006). However I can't get it to work at all. The cd/radio I have is a audi concert sound system. I have the manual and the separate ipod manual and it says to press the CD button twice (as though it's a CD changer). However every time it says no magazine?

Will it only work with old ipods or something? I've only tried a newish ipod and an iphone 4s.

Should work, when you plug your iPod/iPhone in does it display the Audi logo on the iPod/iPhone?

Nope, it just says charging not supported.

Might be worth getting the coding checked, or asking Audi if there are compatibility issues with newer iPods

When you say it's factory fitted, does the glovebox connection look like this?
images

No, it's just a wire with the ipod connection on the end that's in the glove box. I'll take a pic tomoz. There is a manual with the car which is for the audi concert sound system which goes on about the ipod - hence I'm assuming it's factory fitted.

Should work but definitely not charge the newer devices - not without a charge converter between the cable in the glovebox and the iPod/iPhone

Ok, I've tried it all again with my mates ipod (not iphone). The Ipod charges fine. Also, if you turn the radio on with the ipod off it turns the ipod on.

Here is the connector:

mrft5s.jpg

When you try to play it you see this:

2hn0qs3.jpg

And finally it shows this error:

fjg6xk.jpg

It's like it is trying to find a cd changer which doesn't exist.

Do you think I need it recoded by Audi? What does this actually entail? Do you think the ipod connector is factory or retro fit?

Try creating some playlists in iTunes - Name them beginning with numbers i.e. 1 Artist A, 2 Artist B, 3... up to 5 add some songs into them and sync. Now when plugging into car CD1 -5 correspond to these playlists - 6 is everything on the iPod. See if anything changes...

These kits normally trick the headunit into thinking the ipod is a cd changer. Try pressing and holding the eject button to "eject" the device, safely remove. Reconnect, start again. Failing that sometimes they need to be disconnected and essentially reset by leaving it without no power for a while. One of two ways to do this, easiest being to disconnect the battery for an hour or so if you've got the code for the stereo (if it needs it), or take out the stereo and disconnect it that way.

The only other thing i can think of is the fact that after a while the ipod connections changed in terms of voltage outputs which is y the newer ones connect but dont charge. There are loads of adaptors available to fix this, look for a 12v to 5v convertor

Try pressing the cd button twice. I think the ipod is regarded as a 2nd cd changer.

Hi, it doesn't charge the new iphone because of the difference in voltage. I've tried holding the eject button and that doesn't work. The manual does say to press the CD button twice, and it does show the cd changer which is the ipod.

I've looked everywhere and I can't find my radio code so I don't want to disconnect the battery (another thing not provided when I bought it). I assume it needs a radio code.

I think I need to ring Audi, although I fell out with the salesman when I was looking to buy so I might have to go to another dealership.

So no one has come across this before?

I think there's a chance the iPod adapter might be faulty but if possible verify first with an older IPod - I use an old school one as my car one and its solid as a rock on old and new systems. With it being a 56 plate? The iPod prep will be one of the original ones so could be faulty or fussy with newer iPods and iPod firmwares. No way to flash the iPod adapters either.

Oh, and just to add the audi logo never appeared on the ipod.

Have you tried having the music app open then plugging it in? Mine only works when I'm actually in the playlist.

I have an aftermarket lead plugged in mine and it is most probably different but try selecting CD1 on the stereo.
Mine is CDC1 for individual tracks or albums or CDC4 for playing playlists.

The stereo is "married" to it's car and should not need a code putting in. It recognises it's parent!

Ok, should I unplug the battery for an hour or so? I don't have the tools to remove the stereo. If I unplug the battery I won't f up anything will I?

Ok, I've tried unplugging a battery for several hours. Still the same problem.

I'm going to try someone else's ipod before I ask Audi.

Worth a go. I fitted one in my 56 plate A3 back in 2008 - that was new from the dealer then - and if I remember rightly worked with all my ipods at the time - including one like the one in your pic. If yours was factory fit in 2006 that a 2 year difference in hardware. I'm afraid if you ask Audi they'll have little to no knowledge and will just charge you an inflated price to swap like for like. You'd be better off swapping it for a 3rd party one that is capable of charging anything you throw at it without requiring additional adapters inline.

Well I suppose I could just stick to CDs... It's only because I don't like Nick Grimshaw in the mornings! Lol.

I can't even figure out how to remove the stereo, I suppose something slides down the side of the stereo.

If it's going to involve a lot of cost I may as well replace the whole head unit. Then I could get a stereo, sat nav, bluetooth (for phone calls) in too - obviously with a nice flip screen. Not sure what is out there, but I dare it's expensive for what I want.

I know this thread was along time ago but I'm having the exact same problem with the 2006 a3 sline I have recently bought, I believe it is factory fitted and been told it could of been an option between the iPod or a cd changer at the time..
Was anyone able to resolve the issue?
I am yet to try an old ipod this is my last resort before I give up!