Water in rear light.

Chris-gsxr

Reaction score
I have just noticed water in the rear lhs light on my 09 a3 sports back. Any idea what the problem is and or how to stop it from happening again?

Common problem with the water seals apparently. Take ur lights off and check the rubber seals between the cluster and the bulb holder.
Make sure its all straight and the groove in the center of the rubber is in the middle throughout.
Also inspect the clusters, if there are any cracks in them there might be water leaking through from there.
Buy some electrical contact cleaner and clean everything out, u need to make sure theres no water left on the inside that could damage any of the components on the bulb holder.

I will do that over the weekend, Thanks for your help

Turned out it was not a water seal but somehow the light unit itself had starter to separate. Took it out. Pointed a hair dyer through one of the bulb holes to dry it out, gave it a good clean with wet wipes,and ran a bead of clear silicone around the joint where it had came apart. It's now water tight again with no condensation inside the unit.