Chris NottJMB Retrofits

Thread: Bose problem?

Reverse Gear

Status

Bose problem?

Hello all
    I've got an A3 03 plate and my boss system was fine when I bought the car 6 months ago, then about a month ago I started to get a faint humming sound from what seems to be a speaker on top of the dash (where alarm led is) then a couple of weeks after that I was getting a popping noise from all the speakers when starting the car and the sound would come and go then early last week I'm now getting no sound from any of the front speakers but still pops when I switch on and still the constant the faint hum from that center speaker! Has my amp gone? And does anyone know how in the he'll I get to it??? Pictures or a link to some would be extremely helpful
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi Heaven

Status
    Bose amp is in the off side area of the boot.

Check this thread for a picture Bose system or not?
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks audicruiser i meant how do i get in there! cant see any clips or screws and i dont want to start tugging at things !

2nd Gear
    Hexxagon Champion

Status
    Thread bump! having a similar issue with mine where ye hear a faint popping even when off with no sound at all when you try and switch the headunit on, but then maybe after 15-20 miles of driving switch the headunit on and boom works sweet a s nut any ideas?

Reverse Gear

Status
    My experience was similar, the Bose amp on my 04 Tdi 3 dr was hidden away behind the rear offside 1/4 panel above the parcel shelf, not to bad to find if you take it easy. On mine and I believe on many others the rear wash wipe water tube has been brilliantly placed just above the amp, and at this point Audi decided to place a water pipe joint which when the weather is icy, the frozen water pops the joint and bathes your amp with water and slowly it will die. I found a second hand one on Ebay in Germany and had it shipped over for under £100. Problem solved though. Good luck.

Steve

2nd Gear
    Hexxagon Champion

Status
    Ahhh brilliant! ill get looking. Seems coincidental my rear screen wash doesnt work?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steve404 View Post
    My experience was similar, the Bose amp on my 04 Tdi 3 dr was hidden away behind the rear offside 1/4 panel above the parcel shelf, not to bad to find if you take it easy. On mine and I believe on many others the rear wash wipe water tube has been brilliantly placed just above the amp, and at this point Audi decided to place a water pipe joint which when the weather is icy, the frozen water pops the joint and bathes your amp with water and slowly it will die. I found a second hand one on Ebay in Germany and had it shipped over for under £100. Problem solved though. Good luck.

Steve

Steve,
    Did you have to buy the exact same bose amp or do you know if other ones will work?
    There are quite a few different audi bose amps around?
    2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-line (8p1)
    Mods: 18" Gloss Black RS4's - 8p2 S-line Front Bumper - Black Grill - A5 LED Number Plate lights - LED Sidelights - Euro Style Plates - EGR Delete - RTech Custom Remap - Hot Start Issue Fix
    Pipeline: Lowering, Wheel Refurb, Coming Home Lights

2007 VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140 (Wife's)
    Mods: 18" Charlestons

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by J8TT X View Post
    Steve,
    Did you have to buy the exact same bose amp or do you know if other ones will work?
    There are quite a few different audi bose amps around?
    Hi, I hunted around for the exact one that I had, I asked around if they were interchangeable, but nobody seemed to know or confirm so I thought it safest to get the same. As I said finally found one shipped in from Germany. Audi wanted £500+!!

Steve.

2nd Gear
    Hexxagon Champion

Status
    Steve did you get like a popping from the speakers? i had a look at my amp today and everything seems dry absoiloutly no signs of moisture wrecking it or anything, dont want to go replacing it for no reason.

Cheers

Reverse Gear

Status

Bose problem?

I have the same problem, speakers had been making a popping /humming sound at startup (thought it was the parrot bluetooth) then at weekend no sound at all.
    Had some sound today on way to work this morning, very muffled and out of rear speakers only. On way home no sound again!
    Gonna try and get a look at amp at weekend. My rear windscreen washer doesn't work either.

2nd Gear
    Hexxagon Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic_Badger View Post
    I have the same problem, speakers had been making a popping /humming sound at startup (thought it was the parrot bluetooth) then at weekend no sound at all.
    Had some sound today on way to work this morning, very muffled and out of rear speakers only. On way home no sound again!
    Gonna try and get a look at amp at weekend. My rear windscreen washer doesn't work either.
    Snap! on the screen wash anyway, i seem to get a popping and if i leave the stereo off i will randonmly through my journey get a very faint static sound which i assume is normal then all the speakers work perfect i ither get all or nothing really pissing me off considering the bose amps ar going between 120 and 160 ish on enay and that might not even fix it!. im tempted to swap the headunit out with my cousins RNS-E if he wil;l let me.

1st Gear

Status
    Check classifieds on here i have one for sale!!
    A3 2.0TDI S LINE, Awesome remapped, ITG, Milltek, S3 Front + Rear bumpers + Sideskirts, Cruise and slammed on coilovers. NO SMOKE - NO POKE!!!!!

2nd Gear
    Hexxagon Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WALTO TDI View Post
    Check classifieds on here i have one for sale!!
    Done ill take it! see if i can scrape 60 quid together, definatly includes the silver amp from the oposite side to the sub behind the fuel filler neck yes?

1st Gear

Status
    Yes mate sent you pics on email
    A3 2.0TDI S LINE, Awesome remapped, ITG, Milltek, S3 Front + Rear bumpers + Sideskirts, Cruise and slammed on coilovers. NO SMOKE - NO POKE!!!!!