S3 coolant level, thoughts please.

RPB

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have had my S3 now for just over a year (wow, that has flown!) and the coolant level was on the minimum line of the expansion tank so I put in some more Audi stuff (***, how much?)
I cannot see any leaks, so over time where is this going? LOL. Even though it is supposedly a sealed system and the additives change the boiling point, etc, does it still evaporate?
Now don't get me wrong, having a car thats done 12k miles over a year and only having to fill up from min to max does not worry me, it is more of a "where the hell does it go?" type question.

I think its just boiling away ie steam I guess. Assuming the quicker you go the hotter it gets It will boil away faster?

It's leaking somewhere. It's a sealed, pressurised system to stop it from boiling off.

That said, top to bottom of expansion bottle marks isn't the end of the world over 12 months.

I've got the smallest leak in my radiator I lose a very small amount over 3 months, trickle almost but I have located the leak and eventually will get a new radiator, I wouldn't worry about it

I've had exactly the same problem with my s3. I found a very very small water leak dripping from my turbo. Didn't even know the y were water cooled.