CAI on S-tronic S3

Smiffi

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Ok, so I am thinking about fitting a CAI to my 2012 S3 but I have a question. I have been watching Youtube videos of people demonstrating their intake noises by accelerating hard and then lifting off giving that kinda dump valve / chatter noise. I'm guessing that would happen every time a manual car changed gear under hard acceleration? How about an S-tronic car? What would that sound like during gear changes? The reason I ask is that my old 200sx Turbo was an auto and that sounded like a pigeon which wasn't the sound I was going for haha. I'm concerned that my S3 will too.

The intakes I am interested are Twintake, ITG and VWR CAI. I don't see a lot of talk about the VWR on here, does anyone have one fitted? Do they all give a similar deeper intake noise?

Cheers in advance

My Twintake makes Darth Vader noise in the glove box under low/medium acceleration and sometimes chatters during gear changes but thats very rarely + there is a small pop noise i noticed when the revs are about to drop down completley below 1k revs. Do you want me do record a video for you? When you put the foot down then you can hear quite noticeable wooooshhh:D (especially outside the car).

My ITG is not what I'd call quiet, atleast not when accelerating. It makes no noise on constant throttle cruising, but under load it enhances the turbo whistle and also sounds like the borrowers are in my glovebox doing some hoovering. It also enhances that turbo fluttery\chattery noise when coming off the throttle\shifting gear (mine's a manual). To be honest, I find it addictive and far from irritating, but I guess it comes down to personal preference.

My Neuspeed has pretty much constant Darth Vader. It's pretty loud, it chatters VERY loudly too.

On/off throttle it whistles and flutters loads too.

And with the 100mm almost 'forced induction' it makes the noises travel to the pavement :)

Got the EVOMS installed on mine and all I get are varying degrees of tortoise mating noises mixed with the sounds of an asthmatic Darth Vader.

You won't get the flutter on change with S-tronic though. The only way I can force that noise is to half throttle, lift off and tap the throttle again.

Cheers for all your input guys. I think I'm glad that I won't get much flutter noise. I'd ideally like it if passengers don't realise it's not standard. All I'd really like is a slightly deeper induction noise but not like the saxos etc hoofing it away from traffic lights. I'm liking the the references to Darth Vader haha.

RED, if you could post a sound clip or video i'd be forever in your debt!

Here you go mate. Sorry didnt have time to edit it so there is lots of unwanted material but you get the idea anyway:p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can i ask how you got the speed limit to show up on your sat nav as mine doesnt do that but the sat nav unit is identical?

Chris

It's the disc mate, I have 2012 one and noticed it has them on not sure what year disc they 1st came on.

Oh ok, i am sure mine is a 2012 but maybe its worth an update as i would love that feature!! Also love the sound of the cai, does it increase the engine sound or just add the "darth vader" sound?

Chris

Oh ok, i am sure mine is a 2012 but maybe its worth an update as i would love that feature!! Also love the sound of the cai, does it increase the engine sound or just add the "darth vader" sound?

Chris

I only noticed the extra darth vader sound inside the cabin, engine noise remained the same although a lot more wooosh sound when outside the car.

Speed limit is an option somewhere in the sat nav menu as far as I'm aware. Would need to check it for you tomorrow if you want me to.

nice video, think thats actually on the quiet side compared to my Darth Vader! (P-Flo intake)

Must be something to do with mine being metal and the ITG being silicone pipes.

Thinking.....you need....Milltek exhaust too:shrug:

How come your roundabouts symbol close up is so big? i swear mine is way smaller than that on mine...

nice video, think thats actually on the quiet side compared to my Darth Vader! (P-Flo intake)

Must be something to do with mine being metal and the ITG being silicone pipes.

Thinking.....you need....Milltek exhaust too:shrug:

How come your roundabouts symbol close up is so big? i swear mine is way smaller than that on mine...

Because I'm special;)

speaking of noises etc, i just remembered this guy.... anybody do an Audi version!?

Last edited by a moderator:
on a serious note though I thing it might be an option to how the roundabouts are shown. Have had a lot of play with it when I bought the car and pretty sure I changed this settings to adifferent view.

I know the speed limit display is an option on there and i have it ticked but it still shows no speed limits so maybe i do need a new nav disc

Chris