1.8T Oil Consumption Advice

Shunter

Reaction score
Purchased my first Audi at the end of August. Its a 59 Plate 1.8 Sport with 16k on the clock. Previous car was a SEAT Ibiza Cupra which I p/exed because of the oil consuption problems with the 1.4 180bhp engine across the VAG group. I went for the 1.8 A3 because I have had that engine before in golfs, leons and ibiza's and never had to put a drop of oil in between services.

So imagine my surprise on Wednesday when the "Low Oil" light comes on and I have had to put 1 litre of oil in to bring it up to normal!!. Assuming the oil level was normal on the "145 point checklist" for Approved Used Audis thats a lot of oil in 2000 miles.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

You didn't know what the level was to start with so you don't know how much it's used there is no before and after. Now you not its on full you can log it and k ow its used x amount of oil in x amount of miles until then it's guesswork.

Car went in today (actually to sort out vibration problem) I mentioned the oil issue and guess what - its got a leak!!! I also mentioned a juddering on the dsg when moving off and the dealers reporting it to Audi. Then to round of the day went out in the A4 Quattro courtesy car and it broke down!!!!. Got back home eventually but now won't start again. My first experience of Audi is not going well :-/

An update on my life with my first Audi: So they have the car for 3 weeks because they have to replace both clutches and they dont have the right tools to do it (this is an Audi main dealer!), the cambelt and covers are replaced where the oil leak is, they balance all four wheels. All seems ok, it drives a lot better, and I checked the oil after 1,000 miles and level was fine.
Last Friday the Low Oil Warning light comes on!!!!!!. The oil level is off the bottom of the dipstick and I have to put a litre in.
So I have had this car for 4,000 miles (from 16k to 20k so its not an old knacker) and I have put 2 litres of oil in and that's in a period when it has supposed to have had an oil leak fixed!!!.
Is this normal, do I go back to the dealers, do I go direct to Audi?

Perhaps the leak came back. Least Audi are honouring their warranty commitments.
Some owners use 1litre/1k miles...

Check the manual. Oil usage guidelines are in there. I think, it's along the lines of the above; 1ltr per 1000mls. Can't remember off the top of my head though bud.

I know what the manual says but I have had this engine (1.8 tfsi) in a Golf, Leon, Ibiza Cupra and never had to put a drop of oil in between 10k services, so when did 1ltr per 1,000 miles become normal? Any other person i talk about it to is amazed at how much oil I am using.

Update: so they do the consumption test (drive the car for 690 miles, weigh the oil before and after blah, blah!!) and surprise surprise it is "within the tolerances". So when you buy an Audi now best budget £10 per month for oil as well. They did say one of the reasons it uses a lot is because they use synthetic oil.

Final update on the oil consumption. It used .37 of a litre in 1000kms which by my calculations is virtually 6 litres per 10,000 mile (ie in an average year). And that is "within acceptable tolerances". Such a cop out - i have yet to come across anybody who thinks that amount of oil usage is normal.

My oil consumption was at about a litre per 2k miles or less.
I've just had a new pcv so I'm going to see if the oil consumption improves.
I had a massive amount of vacuum going on under my oil cap before hand so hopefully now that is sorted the oil situation will be better.