Which fuel for S3

shinsplint

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

New to the forum, so apologies if im in the wrong section.

Just bought an S3 :yum: and was told by the previous owner he was advised by Audi to use the pricey stuff... In my area i've got the choice of Momentum at Tesco or normal fuel.

Questions:

Is Momentum better for the engine itself?
Is it worth the extra over normal unleaded?
What do you use in your S3?

Any experiences welcome :)

Anything high octane.

only use normal if I'm on air and high octane isnt available.

Thanks for the impossibly quick response :)

Have you tried normal unleaded? Notice any differences?

Congratulations on the purchase, and welcome aboard!

I've never actually heard of Momentum to be honest, but I'm sure others on here will have and will be able to advise...

I've had my S3 for around 2 1/2 years now, and I've always ran it on Shell V-Power.

Fifth Gear (now on Discovery Channel) did a petrol test the other week with a Golf GTI.

V Power came out on top for power, but only marginal increase in BHP over standard Unleaded. BP Ultimate wasn't much cop if I remember right. Sadly they didn't test Tesco's high octane though, which was a shame.

Personally I always use V Power. Costs a few more pence sure, but like the idea the car appreciates the extra octane and hopefully the cleaning additives are a bit more tested/actually good for the car over the supermarket stuff.

Welcome shinsplint.

I have only ever used 97 Octance and higher so Sainbury's super, Tesco Momentum or Shell V Power. I find Shell to give me the less miles per tank and Tesco to give the most, but I tend to buy Sainsbury's Super due to them being closest to me and also the cheapest.

I previously used Tesco 99 momentum and had hesitation problems whilst accelerating, i then used Shell V Power and the problem disappeared.
Shell V Power all the way for me :)

Shell V Power smooth idle, smooth delivery throughout the rev range

Tesco Momentum 99 slightly lumpy idle when cold, but noticible oomph when turbo comes on tap, subjectively feels more pull/power

Normal unleaded car feels flat compared to the above. So you compensate by a heavier right foot, economy suffers.

I used to use Shell V power 99 octan, but it has been discontinued here in Norway. We now have shell Nitro+98octan
Can anyone tel me anything about the new fuel? Have searched on shell web page without any good info.
This was the only hI-performance fuel to tank here.
I have no S3 but my 2.0tfsi "mapped" gets only the best.

V-Power only in mine, but have had to use either BP Ultimate or Tesco99 to get me to a Shell when caught short (stick in maybe a tenner of whatever the closest premium I can get is then fill the tank with V-Power).

V-power

Done personal driving tests and although more expensive get better fuel economy so works out cheaper :0).

Then joined the performance world and always kept on the V-power, when ever had to use supermarket fuel car has always driven poo so try to avoid it all the time.

Also the invisible benefit keeps the internals cleaner so runs better and been informed TFSI engines can gunk up on cheap stuff???

Tesco 99 / Momentum and a shot of Forte (or equivalent) petrol treatment twice a year to keep things clean..

Tesco 99 for my tfsi it's never had anything else since I've had it...

Momentum in my 3.2 v6,plus the missus gets clubcard points.Occasionally have had to stick a few quid normal unleaded in cos they (very rarely)have ran out of momentum.

Interesting thread!

The Shell garage near me is being rebuilt for 3 weeks so I'm going to need to switch from VPower to something else. My local options are Tesco or Texaco (or BP, but they're crazy expensive). Looks like I might use Momentum for a couple of weeks.

The Fifth Gear test mentioned earlier was done at RTech in Hinkley where I had my old golf remapped, and he could tell that I was running 95oc supermarket petrol. Since then I've only every used VPower. Same i the S3 too, and I've noticed that now I've run a few tanks of the good dstuff through my miles to tank has gone up my 20/30 miles.

Whilst fuel doesn't sit about long these days it does degrade in quality with time and the octane level drops off as it sits in storage.

I think if your car is standard and you have NO intention of modding it then 95RON is fine. You only really benefit from the 98 at high RPM when you drive the car hard so unless you thrash the **** off it every time you use it then it's of limited benefit.

Some of the expensive fuels claim to have better detergent properties, but given many of the engine internal photos I've seen there is no clear evidence that this is doing much for the valves, so again I'm marginal about these claims. I do wonder whether there are any negatives to fuel like Momentum and whether over time they could cause seals in the fuel system to perish, but again there is no evidence of this on the net. Don't expect night and day difference, it is very subtle. Some will claim smoother running from Shell fuel, but if all things are equal your car should run OK if all other things engine wise are in good nick.

HOWEVER, if you have your car remapped (esp. for a remap where you can adjust fuelling and timing - e.g. with a Revo SPS), then your car will be mapped to benefit from the extra octane. I was buying 100RON in Germany and you could feel a difference in the cars top end urgency, whereas that difference may have been marginalised in a non mapped car.

One thing I wouldn't do is switch petrols between high and normal octane as otherwise the ECU will be constantly having to adapt to new parameters, so choose one and try and stick to it for consistent motoring. Personally I use Shell V-Power wherever possible and I've never had a bad batch as far as I can tell.