Considering the purchase of an Audi A3 - your thoughts?

Mark Goodwin

Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering buying a 04/05 plate A3, looking to spend no more than £5k. I like to do a bit of research before I spend that kind of money so would appreciate any replies to my current thoughts...

- I do around 1,300 miles per month, so MPG is quite important to me. Which A3 would you recommend for me? I know I am probably better of with a diesel for starters, but is there much difference between the diesel versions?

- I am new to "re-mapping", but is it plausible that this could give my MPG (+performance) a boost? If so, what are the likely affects?

- Due to my budget, it looks like I am going to have to get an A3 that has covered approx 80k miles. Are there any common faults with the 04/05 reg one's? Also, what maintenance/repair work should this car have had done to pre-empt any future faults?

Any other information would be welcome
icon14.png

Heads are known to crack on early BKD 2.0TDi's. There have been cylinder head revisions to prevent this issue. There is a thread knocking around here somewhere.

The VNT in the turbo's gum up with age and then stick with tends to lead to an overboost condition and then limp mode. Good way to check is to go full throttle in 3rd to as high as possible and then come off the throttle, if there is an issue it may go into limp mode.

Dual Mass Flywheels are made of chocolate and can "chatter/clatter" on changing gear/startup/switch-off.

I would expect boost pipe coupling beginning to wear at around the age/mileage you're looking at. With the wear they have the possibility of blowing off causing no boost and therefore no power.

Check rear window washer/motor work, it's common for the rear washer to leak internally inside the motor and cause inoperability.

Timing belts are due at either 50,000mls/5years which ever comes first, so i would expect it to have had at least one, also preferable to have had the water pump changed at the same time.

Remapping CAN give an increase in MPG however it is largely down to the conditions in which you drive (heavy traffic/motorways) and you're driving style which will determine how much of an improvement you see. There are loads of option for who to have it done by, you will need to have a search around and some reviews on each company and their merits/price.

When viewing the car, starting the engine from cold would be preferable to see if there is any lumpyness/unstable idle issues apparent when cold.

As always make sure the service work is all in order. If in doubt have it serviced after you buy.(Full service i.e. oil,air,fuel filter,cabin filter)

Lewis, thanks very much for such an in depth reply.

When it goes into limp mode due to Turbo, what will happen? I.e will it just trigger a warning light or place a limit on the revs?

I am selling my Ibiza ecomotive on eBay at the moment, so I am sure to see an MPG decrease, but this shouldn't make too much difference as I've read the 2.0 TDI achieves around 50mpg.

Will be sure to look out for the rest of the issues listed in your post though!

Dual Mass Flywheels are made of chocolate and can "chatter/clatter" on changing gear/startup/switch-off.

I am selling my Ibiza ecomotive on eBay at the moment, so I am sure to see an MPG decrease, but this shouldn't make too much difference as I've read the 2.0 TDI achieves around 50mpg.

The Clatter when gear changing that Lewis583 sounds like the problem im experiencing. My gearbox is DSG so maybe they are more susceptible to this problem?

If you decide to go for the DSG, make sure the gearbox runs smoothly when engine is cold and hot......this is something i never did and noticed the clatter the day after! Mind, still unsure to whether the flywheel is the problem but sounds like it.....

My A3 is a 2.0TDI and i'm getting 50+ mpg on motorway journeys (I do about 500 miles a week) so 2.0TDI is the way to go i think.

Lewis, thanks very much for such an in depth reply.

When it goes into limp mode due to Turbo, what will happen? I.e will it just trigger a warning light or place a limit on the revs?

Will be sure to look out for the rest of the issues listed in your post though!

Yeah, when limp mode is triggered you usually get the Engine management lamp come on and there will be a lack of power/limit on the revs. Normally a cycle of the ignition(switch it off and back on) will clear the limp mode until the next time it is triggered.

The Clatter when gear changing that Lewis583 sounds like the problem im experiencing. My gearbox is DSG so maybe they are more susceptible to this problem?

If you decide to go for the DSG, make sure the gearbox runs smoothly when engine is cold and hot......this is something i never did and noticed the clatter the day after! Mind, still unsure to whether the flywheel is the problem but sounds like it.....

My A3 is a 2.0TDI and i'm getting 50+ mpg on motorway journeys (I do about 500 miles a week) so 2.0TDI is the way to go i think.

Tbh, i haven't really heard much issues with DSG gearbox flywheels, but that could be down to I haven't really worked on many DSG equipped cars. Though that's not to say it isn't the root of your problem.
The Dual Mass Flywheel in mine is starting to chatter slightly and it's only done 26,000mls so I will be pulling the gearbox out when i get time/access to a ramp.