Has anyone had DPF issues as result of a remap?

Cossie_boy

Reaction score
Hello!

Keep it simple, as title says.

Be very interested if my theory of a mapped car, more/over fuel can cause issues with the luvley dpf on the A3!

Many thanks

CB

You said to keep it simple, lol.

Had mine mapped by AmD, nothing wrong with the map, but the 170's are only worth having a map if you have had your DPF removed.
Basically, when the car is doing a re-gen the exhaust has to get up to a certain temp before the soot can be burned off, so this requires high revs.
Now with a map, you are using more torque and less revs, hence better fuel economy. But less revs means lower exhaust temp, and resulting in harder to burn off soot, thus blocking the DPF and the light coming on more frequently.

I only ever got the first warning and easily cleared with a quick blast, but it got to that point it was coming in every 3-4 days and that was with mixed road driving.

Since having it removed, I hardly get the light on, maybe 1-2 times a month. But I can always tell when my car is doing a re-gen, so take it for a high rev drive above 50 as soon as, even if the light has not come on.

Funny guy :p

Oh right cheers mate, but, how come the dpf light comes in if its been removed?!

Funny guy :p

Oh right cheers mate, but, how come the dpf light comes in if its been removed?!

Sorry mate, should have explained better, since I had my map removed. Not had my DPF removed, yet! ;-)

Aha, suddenly all becomes clear...

This is possibly what I have going on then

Is your driving in London in traffic then mate?

To work im going about 15 minutes on a road, mostly 50-70, before I get to work it on 1/2 temp on guage

You can take a 170 to 185 with the DPF still in place and it will be as reliable as std. Over this, the air/fuel ratio becomes richer and so more particulates are generated causing it to block up.

Rick

You can take a 170 to 185 with the DPF still in place and it will be as reliable as std. Over this, the air/fuel ratio becomes richer and so more particulates are generated causing it to block up.

Rick

Agree with what you say Rick, but £400 or so for an extra 15bhp, depending where you go, not really worth it, even if it does slightly smooth out through the range.

Best bet, is a complete DPF removal and remap, which I am seriously considering. And if you was not so far away from London Rick, then would consider you to do it as I keep hearing good things about your company mate :)

When you say block up, how blocked can they be and still run?

I'm pretty sure mine is badly blocked due to possible crappy maps, but concerned the garages want to just keep doing forced regen

I ran a mapped TT tdi from new for 3 years, travelled 14 miles a day in it (country roads) and never once had the DPF light on. The TT was rollered at 210 BHP and no soot at the back either (DPF left on), the car was a dream to own and drive, I'm still struggling to understand the horrer DPF stories. All I can say is I used the full rev range when I could:whistle2:

If only mate, lol

I guess there are lots of other factors when u buy the car second hand though, how its been driven, looked after, fuelled etc...

I ran a mapped TT tdi from new for 3 years, travelled 14 miles a day in it (country roads) and never once had the DPF light on. The TT was rollered at 210 BHP and no soot at the back either (DPF left on), the car was a dream to own and drive, I'm still struggling to understand the horrer DPF stories. All I can say is I used the full rev range when I could:whistle2:

(I ran a mapped TT tdi from new for 3 years, travelled 14 miles a day in it (country roads) and never once had the DPF light on. The TT was rollered at 210 BHP and no soot at the back either (DPF left on), the car was a dream to own and drive, I'm still struggling to understand the horrer DPF stories. All I can say is I used the full rev range when I could
whistle2.gif
)

Bet that was a CR engine and not a PD

Bet that was a CR engine and not a PD.

I had a 2008 Golf 170 DPF GT Sport, and never, ever had DPF issues with it, and that was in 44,000 miles. It wasn't mapped, but it was never the DPF horror story car.

Ok, it was my car for business/domestic, and my business miles were spent mostly on long journeys (180 mile round trips).

I can't see why a mapped car, doing long distance work, would ever cause any DPF issues.

I ran mine with the DPF in place for 20k and initially did short journeys before longer commutes. Never once had an issue and the car was running approx 195bhp

DPF issues tend to arise because the sensors fail and people ignore the warning light and try to drive as per the manual. IMO this only causes further problems as if you have a failing sensor all you actually doing is filling the DPF up!!