Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    230

    Question ECON light won't go out

    As per the title, I noticed yesterday when trying to de-mist the windows that the ECON light won't turn off. From a search this sounds like the air-con is not working for some reason. I did a scan with VCDS and got only this error:


    Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 8P0-820-043.lbl
    Part No SW: 8P0 820 043 AD HW: 8P0 820 043 AD
    Component: KlimavollautomatH19 0360
    Revision: 057901 Serial number: 8P0820043AD
    Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
    VCID: 6ED87AA079B38B68C39

    1 Fault Found:
    00796 - Fan for Interior Temp Sensor (V42)
    011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00101011
    Fault Priority: 3
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 57
    Mileage: 44463 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2012.09.22
    Time: 16:48:55

    Freeze Frame:
    Voltage: 13.80 V
    Temperature: 32.0°C


    Cleared it and it hasn't come back (not that I would've thought this fan would cause the whole aircon system to stop working). The ECON light still won't go out. There are no other errors shown by VCDS. Is this likely to just be in need of a re-gas? I had a new air-con compressor last summer (2011) as the original had failed. I would've thought it shouldn't need a re-gas until next summer at the earliest.

    Is there anything else I can look at in VCDS which might indicate where the problem lies?
    '07 Phantom Black S3

    Superchips Bluefin Stage 1
    TTRS FBMFSW
    MY11 Rear Lights
    Auto-lights/Auto-Wipers/Auto-dimming rear view mirror/CHLH retrofit

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,472
    could need a regas or the presure switch
    they dont always show up on vcds.

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    230
    How easy is the pressure switch to either check or replace? Any ideas on its cost?
    '07 Phantom Black S3

    Superchips Bluefin Stage 1
    TTRS FBMFSW
    MY11 Rear Lights
    Auto-lights/Auto-Wipers/Auto-dimming rear view mirror/CHLH retrofit

  5. #4
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,472
    first thing i would do is go local halfrauds etc to get a FREE aircon check
    they will check the gas

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    230
    Hmmm, after reading several awful reviews of those Halfords auto-centres I would rather not let them anywhere near it.
    '07 Phantom Black S3

    Superchips Bluefin Stage 1
    TTRS FBMFSW
    MY11 Rear Lights
    Auto-lights/Auto-Wipers/Auto-dimming rear view mirror/CHLH retrofit

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    230
    Useful stuff found on another thread:

    A/C cut-off Codes

    0 = Compressor on (no shut-off requirement of the A/C compressor detected)

    1 = Compressor off (refrigerant pressure was or is too high)

    2 = Compressor off (blower motor circuit)

    3 = Compressor off (refrigerant pressure was or is too low)

    4 = Compressor off (display not currently intended)

    5 = Compressor off (no engine start or no engine speed detected)

    6 = Compressor off (A/C system switched off, ECON-mode activated)

    7 = Compressor off (A/C system switched off, blower switch in position 0)

    8 = Compressor off (outside temperature was less than 1.5°C and is still less than 2.5 °C)

    9 = Compressor off (display not currently intended)

    10 = Compressor off (Low voltage)

    11 = Compressor off (display not currently intended)

    12 = Compressor off (shut-off request from Engine Control Module (ECM) via CAN)

    13 = Compressor off (voltage supply terminal 30 too high)

    14 = Compressor off (Evaporator Temperature)

    15 = Compressor off (display not currently intended)

    16 = Compressor off (activation A/C Compressor Regulator Valve -N280- implausible)

    17 = Compressor off (no signal or implausible signal from High Pressure Sensor -G65-)

    18 = Compressor off (engine speed too high at standstill)

    19 = Compressor off (shutoff request from Vehicle Electrical System Control Module via CAN)

    20 = Compressor off (refrigerant loss-currently V8 Touareg only)

    21 = Compressor off (Outside Temp < 2 degrees C, without recirc mode on)

    22 = Compressor off (Outside Temp < 2 degrees C, Inside Temp. < 10 degrees C)


    My shut-off condition (with the engine running) says 3. Going to get a mobile air-con guy out to take a look.
    '07 Phantom Black S3

    Superchips Bluefin Stage 1
    TTRS FBMFSW
    MY11 Rear Lights
    Auto-lights/Auto-Wipers/Auto-dimming rear view mirror/CHLH retrofit

  8. #7
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    230
    Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that the arrow in the pic below is pointing to the aircon pressure sensor?

    IMG_0870.jpg
    '07 Phantom Black S3

    Superchips Bluefin Stage 1
    TTRS FBMFSW
    MY11 Rear Lights
    Auto-lights/Auto-Wipers/Auto-dimming rear view mirror/CHLH retrofit

  9. #8
    MrLapou's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    1,209
    If it is, and you replace, the refrigerant will be illegally lost to atmosphere.
    Take it to a VW/Audi indy specialist.

    If your confident, attach a gauge to the low or high pressure side of air con to check pressures.

  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    230
    Just had a mobile guy out who measured the pressure. It's got plenty (5bar) so it looks like it could well be the pressure sensor that's at fault.
    '07 Phantom Black S3

    Superchips Bluefin Stage 1
    TTRS FBMFSW
    MY11 Rear Lights
    Auto-lights/Auto-Wipers/Auto-dimming rear view mirror/CHLH retrofit

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    If it is, and you replace, the refrigerant will be illegally lost to atmosphere.
    Possibly not true. I've seen reference (albeit on another Audi model) to them using a schrader valve so this will close to prevent losing the refrigerant when you remove the pressure sensor.

    Just need someone to confirm that and also the location of the sensor...............
    '07 Phantom Black S3

    Superchips Bluefin Stage 1
    TTRS FBMFSW
    MY11 Rear Lights
    Auto-lights/Auto-Wipers/Auto-dimming rear view mirror/CHLH retrofit

  12. #11
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,472
    on the b6 b7 i know removeit the PV it will relese the gas
    and on my daughters 2003 a3

  13. #12
    vw754's Avatar
    vorsprung Durch Technik

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    1,971
    Check the fuse which are under the bonnet,next to the battery,,,,,not 100% which fuse but maybe fuse 24?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADi Nuff Valves View Post
    As per the title, I noticed yesterday when trying to de-mist the windows that the ECON light won't turn off. From a search this sounds like the air-con is not working for some reason. I did a scan with VCDS and got only this error:


    Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 8P0-820-043.lbl
    Part No SW: 8P0 820 043 AD HW: 8P0 820 043 AD
    Component: KlimavollautomatH19 0360
    Revision: 057901 Serial number: 8P0820043AD
    Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
    VCID: 6ED87AA079B38B68C39

    1 Fault Found:
    00796 - Fan for Interior Temp Sensor (V42)
    011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00101011
    Fault Priority: 3
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 57
    Mileage: 44463 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2012.09.22
    Time: 16:48:55

    Freeze Frame:
    Voltage: 13.80 V
    Temperature: 32.0°C


    Cleared it and it hasn't come back (not that I would've thought this fan would cause the whole aircon system to stop working). The ECON light still won't go out. There are no other errors shown by VCDS. Is this likely to just be in need of a re-gas? I had a new air-con compressor last summer (2011) as the original had failed. I would've thought it shouldn't need a re-gas until next summer at the earliest.

    Is there anything else I can look at in VCDS which might indicate where the problem lies?
    Full leather/19"wheels/cruise/

  14. #13
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    230
    Yeah I'll check the fuses tonight. Would've thought that if the fuse had gone VCDS would flag that as it would have an open on the connection to the sensor.
    '07 Phantom Black S3

    Superchips Bluefin Stage 1
    TTRS FBMFSW
    MY11 Rear Lights
    Auto-lights/Auto-Wipers/Auto-dimming rear view mirror/CHLH retrofit

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    230
    I can confirm that the pic below does point out the location of the G65 sensor. Now to order a new one and work out how the hell to get at the old one to take it off!

    Quote Originally Posted by ADi Nuff Valves View Post
    Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that the arrow in the pic below is pointing to the aircon pressure sensor?

    IMG_0870.jpg
    '07 Phantom Black S3

    Superchips Bluefin Stage 1
    TTRS FBMFSW
    MY11 Rear Lights
    Auto-lights/Auto-Wipers/Auto-dimming rear view mirror/CHLH retrofit

  16. #15
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    230
    Had the sensor swapped today and my air-con is now working properly again.
    '07 Phantom Black S3

    Superchips Bluefin Stage 1
    TTRS FBMFSW
    MY11 Rear Lights
    Auto-lights/Auto-Wipers/Auto-dimming rear view mirror/CHLH retrofit

  17. #16
    Rom
    Rom's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    444

    Re: ECON light won't go out

    Most ac components require degassing of the system.

    Little reason to make it any different, seeing as you need a defra license to work on the gas. And manufacturers dont want to make jobs easy or diy. Need to keep cars coming back.

    Glad it's fixed.
    VCDS - Hex-Can-USB - Bristol Area
    Toyota Pro Tech - PM me if you need something done!


    2004 A3 TDi Sport
    - Bose, Leather / Alcantaras, Cruise, Eibach Sportlines, S Line Facelift
    Full Paint Correction
    To Do - Lamin X, Tints, Wheels

    Past Cars

    Peugeot 205 Gti Mi16 - Main love affair - Build Thread
    Honda CRX SiR - Short lived - Build Thread
    BMW E46 330d Sport
    Peugeot 306 Hdi DTurbo
    VW Gold MK4 TDi
    Vauxhall Nova SR - First car!


  18. #17
    PH1L's Avatar
    Gievf Buckets

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Forfar, Scotland
    Posts
    3,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Most ac components require degassing of the system.

    Little reason to make it any different, seeing as you need a defra license to work on the gas. And manufacturers dont want to make jobs easy or diy. Need to keep cars coming back.

    Glad it's fixed.
    just to clear it up there is a check valve so you can remove the pressure sensors yourself no degas or regas required


    2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

    Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

    Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

    Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

    Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

  19. #18
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by PH1L View Post
    just to clear it up there is a check valve so you can remove the pressure sensors yourself no degas or regas required
    Thanks Phil. Yeah I looked in to this and no-need for a de-gas / re-gas when changing the G65. I had it done at an indy anyway.
    '07 Phantom Black S3

    Superchips Bluefin Stage 1
    TTRS FBMFSW
    MY11 Rear Lights
    Auto-lights/Auto-Wipers/Auto-dimming rear view mirror/CHLH retrofit

  20. #19
    Rom
    Rom's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    444

    Re: ECON light won't go out

    Good to know.
    I'd have just assumed otherwise, and de gassed it. Easy when you have a machine though.
    VCDS - Hex-Can-USB - Bristol Area
    Toyota Pro Tech - PM me if you need something done!


    2004 A3 TDi Sport
    - Bose, Leather / Alcantaras, Cruise, Eibach Sportlines, S Line Facelift
    Full Paint Correction
    To Do - Lamin X, Tints, Wheels

    Past Cars

    Peugeot 205 Gti Mi16 - Main love affair - Build Thread
    Honda CRX SiR - Short lived - Build Thread
    BMW E46 330d Sport
    Peugeot 306 Hdi DTurbo
    VW Gold MK4 TDi
    Vauxhall Nova SR - First car!


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Econ light won't switch off - No Air con!
    By richiwildchild in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 5th October 2012, 12:24
  2. ESP light won't go out
    By MattW86 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27th November 2010, 11:25
  3. Air bag light won't go out
    By Cruz in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12th August 2009, 23:13
  4. econ light on all the time
    By jase0851 in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th May 2008, 20:56
  5. Brake light won't go off
    By golf in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th November 2007, 13:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO