New A3 owner, initial minor niggles

nick9one1

Reaction score
Hey,

I now own my first A3. its a 2.0tfsi quattro sportback in blue.

I have a few minor niggles...

1. RNS-E doesnt read the DVD. I've read about this common problem and after cleaning the disk I think its probably the laser. I've ordered a wet lens cleaner disk, but think I will probably need to change the laser.
2. The silver trim next to the drivers interior handle is scratched. Can I get a replacement?
3. The silver trim on the ashtray below the heater controls is scratched, again.. Can I get a replacement?
4. Cigarette smell. what's the best way to get rid? I was thinking a combination of a wetvac and some kind of fogger/freshener.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum

Anything in a car can be replaced, but sometimes you have to buy more than you need. For instance the ashtray lid will be the whole unit likely not just the lid. Trims you can order at the stealers or keep an eye on eBay.

As for the smoke sell shell out some notes and get a GOOD interior valet, wet vac wash etc. they have so much industrial equipment for these things that regular consumers will struggle to get the same results.

welcome to the Audi club :-D

Thanks for the reply :)

I've also got a question about my alloys.

Not sure what they are but they aren't really to my taste so will be changing them. Tyres are just about brand new but the rims have kerbing all the way round.

any idea what I can expect to get for them? or the name of the alloy?

Attachments

• DSCN0532.jpg
    DSCN0532.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 237
I've just changed my door trim, it's brushed aluminium and cost £79 + vat, The Audi partsman did give me 10% discount though.

The ashtry trim is likely to be expensive as well.

You'll need to wetvac all the soft trim in the car including the headling which is usually the most affected part, to get rid of the smoke smell and will have to probably do it twice depending how bad. As a rule I won't buy a car that has been smoked in as it's difficult to get rid of the smell.

Thanks again.

Its amazing how expensive some parts are from Audi! I replaced a couple of bits of plastic trim on my 1991 Porsche 944 S2 a few weeks ago. The parts were still available new from Porsche and I had change from a £20 note!

My local DIY store hires out a rugdoctor for £22. So I'll go down that route to start with. Luckily its leather so the seats wont be holding much of the smell at all. I'll probably pull the front seats out so I can get to the carpet fully.

I've found out the alloys are from an Audi A5
Not sure if I should sell them as they are or get them refurbed first?

Could try wrapping your trim?

Just did all of mine and it only cost £16

Agree with you about the wheels, not keen on them myself.... Maybe they look better on an A5 :)

Reactions: Dannykn9
We're the wheels standard black or painted? Unless its custom wheels should be silver only IMO. Personally I'd check eBay for the wheels and see what they are going for. Refurbed will sell better but it's up to you if the cost makes up for the refurb. Don't forget eBay fees at 10%.

Rug doctor will work well and not a bad price, I'm just to lazy to do it lol!!

I agree. I dont like black wheels on a blue car. The wheels are painted.. they were originally silver.

I'm watching this set so should give me a good indication on what I can expect to get

We have a local powdercoater than blasts and coats for £160 so If I do get them refurbed thats the way i'll go.

That's a good price to blast and powder coat. Yes just used 3M di noc. It was fairly easy. My first ever try and it turned out excellent. Worth a go for the small cost.

I've just tried a lens cleaner disc in the RNS-E and it can now read the maps dvd!

I saw another thread on replacing the ashtray with a non-smoker cubby hole so I'm going to do that - only £11.70
Audi A3 Front Ashtray Delete - 8P0 863 301 A 4PK - Stoke Audi Parts

The wheels I was watching sold for over £500 so I'm gonna stick mine on and hope they get up to £350. If they don't reach that I'll get them powdercoated and relist them.

I've made a massive improvement on the cigarette smell. I hired a rug doctor and used the hand tool to clean the complete interior.
I removed the seats first and went to work on the head liner. I was a bit concerned about it getting too wet, but its absolutely fine.
I used a full tank of water/detergent and when I emptied the tank the water was nearly black!! I wet vac'd the whole interior once and then went over the whole lot again to be sure.
It took about 24 hours to dry fully but I had a long drive down to south wales the next day and a combination of A/C and heaters finished it off nicely.
Now the car smells lovely and fresh :) not even a hint of cigarette!

Only problem now is my airbag light has come on from removing the seats. Hope I can clear it with vagcom or torque when I manage to find my OBDII cable!

The smokers delte thing is really useful....i did mine last week!

Also i used a rug doctor on my old A3! it had a tinge of dog from the old owners....worked a treat, the colour of the liquid it sucked from the seats was vile. Make sure you take ur time and do a proper job...i did the full headlining etc

Yes mate , You need to be through with the cleaning. I did the same to one of my previous cars, all smelt good for a few weeks but after leaving the car unused for 2 weeks whilst on holiday the smoke smell returned a bit. Another go at the cleaning process cleared that up, so be prepared.