Looking for an A3 Sline/s3 but concerned about DPF

What sort of journeys do you do? I was under the impression that even a non DPF sline a3 would still run into potential problems if only used for a few miles per day, if that.

No more problem than a petrol car on short journeys. When I do long journeys/holidays around Europe it comes into it's own, lots of MPG and of course diesel is cheaper in other countries. Lots of torque and when fully loaded it feels effortless on a motorway.

I have recently bought a 2006 S Line Sportback 140 with no DPF because of DPF problems on short journeys. It still works out cheaper to run as the RFL is a lot cheaper and you still get 43 -48mpg on short journeys. If you want to remap later it makes things easier in the long run. The benefit of buying a pre DPF car is they are cheaper because they are older so you might as well look for the best kept version with lots of extra goodies as I did. For me the condition of the car is more important than the year.

This was my original plan...why the **** didnt I stick to it!

If you do lots of short journeys why are you even looking at diesels, DPF or not, you won't get the mpg to warrant it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't bother wasting your time with a diesel it seriously isn't worth the hassle. I've got a 1.8tfsi s line black edition, I only do short journeys to work and the odd blast at weekends and I get min 30mpg, 160bhp yes not as powerful as the GTI but still plenty of poke and on par power wise as the diesel 140 just less torquey. If you like A3s that much and end up buying a Golf, everytime you see an A3 sline you will regret buying the golf.

Listen to the advice people are giving you, stop over thinking it and buy what you truly want to buy and that is a petrol A3 1.8, 2.0 sline or stretch to the S3 you won't regret it, buy the golf and trust me you will.

The thread is 4 years old now and I have converted to petrol power :subdued:

Since this thread is back from the dead.

I work for royal mail, We just got a shipment of brand new diesels in..
Because us posties do short stops and such, The DPFs in these new vans are already failing at around 5-7k miles. Utterly useless for royal mail, Don't know what they were thinking.

I don't do short journeys but over a year I don't rack up huge miles either. The ONLY reason I got another diesel was because I simply prefer the engines and the way they drive. I prefer the lower end torque of Diesel engines over petrol so mpg etc etc doesn't come into it for me.

DPF's on later 140 models aren't problematic like the 170's.

Go with what engine you prefer, that easy.

Hi All,

Here is my dilemma - I do not do much driving at all - all local 5 to 10 minute trips and maybe once a month down the motorway.
I!

Suicidal for ANY diesel engined car.
Water hasn't even got up to full operating temp in those driving scenarios ... Let aloan oil temp

Since this thread is back from the dead.

I work for royal mail, We just got a shipment of brand new diesels in..
Because us posties do short stops and such, The DPFs in these new vans are already failing at around 5-7k miles. Utterly useless for royal mail, Don't know what they were thinking.

Yep, it's terrible. I work for Ford, and we look after a fleet of vans for a local private school, which do 3-4 miles a day most of the time,they're forever in for dpf problems.

Ford have finally released a petrol engined transit connect at least.