Getting the windows tinted tomorrow - How dark?

Pops848

Reaction score
Hey all,

Getting my windows tinted on a 8P2 S-Line 3 Door tomorrow. Only having the rears done. I was thinking of going as dark as possible, anyone else got any thoughts on what shade is best?

its personal taste realy

some times if you have a slight tint on the front and a vary dark tint on the rear and back windows it will make the front look darker from the outside and still be legal

but sometimes if you just get the rear windows done very dark you start to look like a van if the front windows are clear(white looking) compared to the rears

good luck

also what colour is the car ?

I've heard the colour referred to as lava red, or amulet red. I'm leaving the fronts clear, so perhaps a smoke might be best? I'm going to check out what shades are available and how they appear but I'm fairly certain I want it darker rather than lighter

35% tint is what the BE's have when out of the factory so any darker than that and it will look crap. As for the fronts any reputable company will refuse to tint them as its illegal and I have seen the plods remove front tints off cars at the roadside. Go for the back only.

35% tint is what the BE's have when out of the factory so any darker than that and it will look crap. As for the fronts any reputable company will refuse to tint them as its illegal and I have seen the plods remove front tints off cars at the roadside. Go for the back only.

I thought fronts had to let 70% through any less and illegal? I've seen them remove at roadside too, I'm leaving the front standard. It's only the rears I want to tint.

Lol in that case the reputable companies are idiots losing out on money. The law as it stands:
75 per cent of light through the front windscreen
70 per cent of light through the front side windows

Most modern cars are at about 80% on the front before you tint them arent they? So even a little extra could tip them into illegal?

If you do get pulled over and the police complain about how dark the tints are then ask if they have a "Visible Light Transmission meter" if not their opinion is pretty much useless.
It's like a cop guessing your speed without a radar.

My old car (Peugeot 106 Rallye 16v) had VERY dark tints and i was pulled over twice for it.
The first time the cop let it go when i asked him to tell me what level tint they were now and what the law was.
The second time the cop wrote me a ticket, i challanged it saying there was no measurement carried out so how did the cop know it was illegal and they dropped the case.

go dark as poss hides all ilegal actions that you want to carry out or you could just buy some sunglasses and put them on job done !!

go dark as poss hides all ilegal actions that you want to carry out or you could just buy some sunglasses and put them on job done !!

I saw a Rolls Royce take it one step further last week. Was driving into Heathrow to see this building come flying up behind me, what I then realised was that it was the RR Phantom. However, EVERY single window had been tinted so you couldn't see in. Looked mean but I didn't fancy driving it in the rain!

However, for us mere mortals who are not above the law, we can't tint the windscreen, so I still use my sunglasses, and I'm not tinting the front windows so all "illegal" action I would need to climb into my back seats. Now I don't particularly like spending time in my back seat.. mainly because someone else has to drive my car.
So, the tints being applied are for aesthetics, not for illegal actions in the back of my car... Hope that clears it up :thumbsup:

my cabs geting done as i type
2.5 rear 50 front's

Just dropped mine off. Guy reckons limo black with the contrast. So limo black it is. Currently walking to halfrauds for a headlight bulb while I wait. Now considering black wrap on roof and pillars, lets wait and see with the tints...

Am chuffed with my tints, will be updating with pictures later today :)

Personally I've always gone for the darkest, legal, tint available due to the harsh SA climate's effect on the interior temps of the car. The S3 looks particularly good like this due to the black and white theme I've got going with the pano roof, wheels and grill.

Thankfully we are legally allowed to tint the fronts as well :cool:

As has been covered, all windows are tinted as standard, therefore adding any more tint to the front will render them illegal. You can try and play the hero and challenge the police, but more and more of them are carrying light measurement equipment, and they will make you peel them off at the roadside.

^THIS. ANY tint and you will be borderline illegal, Police don't need to use a light meter to make this decision, just to believe that the tinting on the windows is likely to impede the safe use of the vehicle...
And forget the law for one minute, think about responsible use and what you'd feel comfortable looking through at night or in crappy weather...
Aside from that dark tints all round just look wannabe gangsta. By the way really looking forward to seeing dark rear tints on a red A3!