Strangely long cold start

Acheron

Reaction score
So I had my remapped by from Revo stage 1 to stage 2 and the very next day I noticed that my cold starts have increased in length by probably around 10x for some strange reason:

Essentially the car idles @ 1100rpm for over a minute now with the exhaust making a hell of racket until it slowly drops down to the usual 900rpm. Now I'm not sure if it's just coincidental or if the map has resulted in this, but I did query this with Revo who stated that it's due to the decat and the increased time taken for the sensor to warm up without the catalytic converter in place to absorb heat generated by the "SAI" (Secondary Air Injection?).

The above would make sense, BUT I've had the decat in for quite a while and the issue only started recently (after the new map)

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not gonna lie buddy, that sounds horrific.....

My S3 does its usual cold start like yours, so that length of time is normal, and all is fine, but yours sounds rough?

ive got full 100 cell milltek and mines silky smooth...

If thats the original backbox have a look at the valve that opens and closes with increased throttle as it could be rattling around.

As after the initial warm up has finished all goes quiet... ie less revs so no need for increased outlets ie, valve shut.

Not gonna lie buddy, that sounds horrific.....

My S3 does its usual cold start like yours, so that length of time is normal, and all is fine, but yours sounds rough?

ive got full 100 cell milltek and mines silky smooth...

If thats the original backbox have a look at the valve that opens and closes with increased throttle as it could be rattling around.

As after the initial warm up has finished all goes quiet... ie less revs so no need for increased outlets ie, valve shut.

I had mine failedto start for the first time the other day, the revs dipped and it felt like it wanted to not start then comes to life, I have had the plugs changed as well, what else can cause dodgy starts??

I had mine failedto start for the first time the other day, the revs dipped and it felt like it wanted to not start then comes to life, I have had the plugs changed as well, what else can cause dodgy starts??

Sounds like air mass sensor to me.

I'm sure I read somewhere the other day that someone had had an update to their Revo map and this was an issue they had seem too. They didn't like the map and went back to the previous version I believe.

My Countax sounds just like that and I've not had it remapped yet.

That's well rough, mine S2+ does not do that at all. Something is amiss for sure!

Not sure if it's perhaps related to the fact that it is a non-resonated, complete decat section (no mini/sport cat) which is quite a bit bigger than the stock pipe (76mm) or perhaps even the grade of stainless used that gives it an almost tinny quality at low revs.

I'm pretty stumped actually. :crying:

my exhaust snapped 2-3 times, broken mounts and it did make some kind of rattle noise.
get under the car, and take look at the mounts near the turbo. that might be causing issues. mine did.

So the DP itself doesnt appear to be the culprit after cold starting the car on a lift and listening for any potential knocking from underneath.

Looking into the issue I've seen everthing from the rear PCV hose, various vaccuum lines or even exhaust lifters as being a possible cause. Anybody that can confirm, deny, shed some light on those?