S3 8p clutch

TimJK

Reaction score
Hi, car has been stage 2+ for a while now and clutch is on borrowed time.

Could someone give me any recommendations for what clutch and possibly flywheel to go with that's not a ridiculous price. Not going to go much further if any with power but nice to know if could handle it if needed.

Any experience with single mass compared to dual mass flywheel also.

Thanks

As above.

The Loba is an excellent product as is the Sachs organic.

Don't change to an SMF setup unless you're going to a big turbo setup as the Loba/Sachs is good for over 400lbs torque providing you bed it in gently at first and don't get into drag style starts.

An SMF is pretty gnarly.

As above.

The Loba is an excellent product as is the Sachs organic.

Don't change to an SMF setup unless you're going to a big turbo setup as the Loba/Sachs is good for over 400lbs torque providing you bed it in gently at first and don't get into drag style starts.

An SMF is pretty gnarly.

Do you have a link to the organic clutch?

I just bought Sachs clutch and SMF from LOBA.
Will be fitting it in couple of days.

I say go for SMF,that little chatter will not kill you and it is well worth it:superman:

Can anyone explain or point me in the direction of where I can learn a little about this whole DMF/SMF thing, including the chatter experienced with SMF?

FYI, a mate of mine just installed an SMF and Sachs performance clutch in his 08 S3.
I was telling him he was mad for going with a SMF but honestly, it's perfectly fine!
No chatter and perhaps just a little bit of vibration but really hardly noticeable and I am someone who is very particular with sounds and vibrations being right.

Ive had it installed for few months now.. Im still trying to get use to the chatter but if you dont mind it sounding a bit like a diesal at idle id say go for it..
Theres a trick where if you lift off the clutch very slowley a few times, you cant hear it as much... Just dont bother switching ac on as the noise gets louder!

A bigger turbo is on the cards for me in my heart but my pocket is not on the same lines for now.. Plus i do drive like a tw@ sometimes so a smf was ideal...

If ur more of a poser dont go smf you prolly feel embaraced at idle ( like i do sometimes ) lol

Hmmmm maybe single mass is the way then, ££££ though! Think I'm gonna have to pull it til the new year.

Have a very careful think first.

I have a Spec Stg3+ clutch in mine,which is as light as the stock clutch but good for nearly 600lbs.

You DO get used to the chatter,but it's there at idle.

Can any one buy the spec clutch from spec or is it traders only?

Hi guys thats what i mean ,id rather buy straight from spec as its going to be cheaper,but on the web site ,its traders only...

Hi guys thats what i mean ,id rather buy straight from spec as its going to be cheaper,but on the web site ,its traders only...
spec stg3 delivered direct from them is less than 1k , I can't remember if that includes tax & duty etc, that is A LOT of clutch for the money, problem is if you encounter any warranty issues you will have to ship back to USA and sort stuff out yourself!!!! I wouldn't/didn't fancy that so I bought a SouthBend clutch from Darkside Development, If you buy your clutch from a uk dealer then you have a safety net of any issues getting sorted out here, I'm not saying you will/should encounter any probs but after spending a grand on a clutch I would rather get it sorted here , if that makes ANY sense???
Drop spec an email, they are very fast to respond and very helpful :)

spec stg3 delivered direct from them is less than 1k , I can't remember if that includes tax & duty etc, that is A LOT of clutch for the money, problem is if you encounter any warranty issues you will have to ship back to USA and sort stuff out yourself!!!! I wouldn't/didn't fancy that so I bought a SouthBend clutch from Darkside Development, If you buy your clutch from a uk dealer then you have a safety net of any issues getting sorted out here, I'm not saying you will/should encounter any probs but after spending a grand on a clutch I would rather get it sorted here , if that makes ANY sense???
Drop spec an email, they are very fast to respond and very helpful :)

I have looked on darkside developments website and they only list diesel clutches and flywheels😞

I have looked on darkside developments website and they only list diesel clutches and flywheels������
They are uk SouthBend dealers and VERY helpfull, give them a call,
I remember Johnny C on VAGOC had a 450bhp white S3 which used the SouthBend clutch and got great reviews

Go LOBA Motorsports SMF Kit with the organic clutch. Its very driveable and it'll hold up on the stage2+ power definitely.

I purchased the other kit (dmf ttrs style kit) originally from APS and about 4 months later with endless *** issues it seems a faulty useless clutch was not holding up the power. Its also amazing how with apparent great help from APS that 2 other 'tuning shops' offered me a new kit cheaper than what APS offered me at an apparent "discounted price due to the issues" for another replacement. I bit the bullet and went direct to LOBA and don't regret it at all now.

Just my 2psi.

I live in the CBD, and drive in the city daily and i was very hesitant to purchasing the loba kit but i am really glad i did as it feels better than it ever has before.