Question for remapped 2.0TDI drivers

benw123

Reaction score
Has your remap caused any problems with the clutch slipping? A work colleague has a remapped Seat Leon Cupra TDI running around 195bhp and 300lb/ft. His car has covered 14,000 miles and although the remap was completed from new, he said over the last few thousand miles the clutch has been slipping under mild acceleration from low rpm.

It's got so bad that he's had to revert to the standard setting, and he reckons that according to the Seat forums he uses, it's a common problem with remapped VAG cars.

Question is, has anyone else here experienced the same problem?

I have an Oettinger re-map. Only done about 2k miles since, but had no probs except a little bit more smoke with quick getaways (in 1st gear).

Had my oettinger re-map for 12000 miles now and no problems at all, touch wood!!!!!

Yep....my Superchipped 2.0TDI suffers from slip but only under hard acceleration and it's mild in 3rd but bad enough in the higher gears (takes maybe 3/4 secs for the rev counter to catch up) - only til the clutch has properly warmed up. If you just continue to floor it when it does it (bad for clutch) it will go away for that journey I find.

Best thing to do is go for a performance clutch which can handle the torque...but I don't need to go that far yet anyway.

Tell him to go back to where he got it remapped and ask them to turn it down a bit if that suits.

The 1.9TDI clutches are apparently quite weak considering the engine they have been mated to. I managed to partially fry my parent's std A4 1.9 130 driving up the Grossglockner last weekend in Austria. OK, it was 4 up with about 200kg of luggage in the boot, with up to 10% inclines.

My A3 is chipped, and I regularly accelerate from low revs in high gear, and so far (touch wood) no problems. I would like to think that the 2.0TDI has a stronger clutch compared to the 1.9. But still, I would not be surprised if I have problems later in the car's lifetime. Then it's a performance clutch for me.

It's hard to tell whether it's stronger or not..

Certainly once my car has warmed up and I want to give it a good thrash, after a few mins of hard driving the clutch takes it all and there's no slip.

Just lots of smoke for whoever I've left behind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I've had no problems with slip but mine produces a little less bhp than Mark N's so prpobably less torque - 180bhp & 295lbs torque.
I'd recommend the remap to anyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif