Volks AutosSky Insurance
    S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status

DSG limiter action this morning..

This morning I needed to pull out of a junction quickly in order to join the rest of the traffic doing 50/60mph.

i was in 'D' mode and from standing still let it 'have it' (didn't use launch control) and at the end of flat out second gear it just hit the limiter baaaaaam baaaaam baaaam then it gave me 3rd.

Sounded awesome, what with the Milltek etc but in reality it wasn't ideal., lost loads of speed because of it and me and the mrs felt like we'd be kicked in the back of the head as between each baaaaam baaaam baaaam power was essentially 'off'

I thought it was supposed to change before the limiter?!

Did the DSG box just 'forget' to change gear? or was full throttle action just too much for 'D' mode...?
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status

DSG limiter action this morning..

Interesting, never managed this is mine! Is your DSG mapped? The box i mean not the ecu?
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

Status
    ECU -YES
    DSG MAP- NO

It's actually not first time it's done it to be honest, but other times I've put It down to having steering not straight and traction control basically saying 'with the power youve asked me to put down, anymore lock and drive shafts will snap' and it says no. (Milltek goes pop when it does that, very nice )

However i hardly had any steering on today maybe half a turn as I was roughly pointing in the right direction by end of 1st gear.

im thinking its just DSG being slow, afterall the engine is faster than what the DSG box would normally run.

Think DSG map is in order soon.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,

On a journey...

Status
    I've never experienced this - the DSG software will always shift up at the redline, whether in manual or auto modes. Fractions of a second can feel like a long time when driving though, as those of us doing a full bore Launch Control take-off well know.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic (2010) - Brilliant Red
    Technology Pack (RNSE 2, Bluetooth, 6-CD stack), BOSE, roof rails, 2 child seats and 310bhp

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Mine also does this at times. Ok, its not an S3, but is a 2.0TFSI.
    If I plant the gas it takes the gear to the red line and then bounces off of the limiter for a couple of split seconds, and then changes up to the next gear. Mainly in 1st gear, if I remember correctly.

I've seen numerous videos on youtube that show this too, and there are plenty of forums about with people reporting the same thing, so I've always considered it one of those normal intermittent "quirks" of dsg.

Status
    Well at least I'm not alone!

I've just been reading loads of reviews on stage 2/3 DSG remaps and I think it's the way forward by the sounds of things.

I also find when in 'D' when you plant the throttle, doesn't even have to be planted (from standstill though) it seems like 3 weeks have passed by before it really properly selects 1st and goes?

2nd Gear

Status
    Mine also does this and it is not an s3, it almost feels like traction control but makes the sound of pop pop and no traction light, i have also noticed that when i put my foot down in second gear and the car wheelspins it will change up to 3rd on its own to try and stop the wheelspin, very interesting!

Chris
    A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback - DSG, Alcantara/Leather Heated Seats, Xenons, Acoustic park, Armrest, Folding/auto dimming mirrors, Symphony with Bose, Rain sensor, Multifuntion steering wheel, Lumbar Support, Aluminium roof rails, Lumbar Support, Vanity mirror lights
    MODS - ​RS3 Aluminium Race Inlay trim, LED rear lights, RNS-E, Bluetooth+SDS, Sline front bumper+Black grille

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post

I also find when in 'D' when you plant the throttle, doesn't even have to be planted (from standstill though) it seems like 3 weeks have passed by before it really properly selects 1st and goes?
    yup they all do that, have almost died several times trying to nip into a small gap at a roundabout.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Minstadave View Post
    yup they all do that, have almost died several times trying to nip into a small gap at a roundabout.
    Certainly have to time it right dont you!

Does the DSG remap solve this issue? will it take off straight away rather than just bog down and then suddenly BANG turbos suddenly 'switched on' or will it continue to ruin the DSG experience?

1st Gear

Status
    Another confirmation here. Mine has hit the limiter a few times

Current: 2010 Audi S3 Sportback S-tronic
    Ex: 2007 Audi A3 Sportback - 2.0T DSG
    Ex: 2008 Opel Corsa OPC
    Ex: 2004 Opel Corsa Lite
    Ex: 1978 VW Beetle

3rd Gear

Status
    I don't think a dsg remap cures the lag from a standing start issue, but makes it less obvious.

4th Gear

Status
    Try it with the ESP off.
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. View Post
    Try it with the ESP off.
    Not sure whether your referring to the setting off and lag issue or the baaaam baaaam baaaaam hitting rev limiter issue..

but nah no different on the slow to take off ('D' mode, ESP off), i'm not breaking traction, i just want to set off with at least some urgency but not a full blown launch.

for instance, your sat at a busy roundabout, need to pull out pretty quickly else you'll be there all day, so foots down, you've literally crept forward, then on your right is a citroen picasso about to nail you in the side and then booom turbo probably just saves your nut sack.

All i want it to do is go when i say go... like in a manual, give it more revs and then let go of clutch your away..it doesnt have to prepare itself.

I think its just a DSG characteristic that we're have to live with isnt it

1st Gear

Status
    What I do is stamp on the throttle and let off really quickly, ie before the car moves, and then just push the throttle down a little bit. This kind of engages 1st but you dont get the jerky on boost manuever. It just lags behind your input a bit, but because you have taken your foot off and back on again you dont get the surge. I think its more to do with the Drive by Wire throttle than the actual gearbox.
    2008 A3 1.8t FSI Sportback S-Line - Avus Silver - Full spec.