Wing Mirror LED advice

Tempy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an issue with my drivers side wing mirror. The previous owner must have had a knock as the casing it a little loose. This isn't too much to worry about, except the more noticable issue is that the impact has broken the LED indicator strip. It doesn't light up all the way around and because it's cracked, it also lets a tiny bit of water in which is showing signs of mould.

Here's a pic:

TempyWingMirror.jpg

What are my options? I've done a search but haven't been able to find anything regarding just replacing the LED strip. Am I looking at a replacement wing mirror? I've read they are quite pricey. Is it the dumbo mirrors I have?

I have the 58 facelift model (8P3) A3 2.0 TDi S Line.

Thanks for your help.

Someone hit my mirror a couple months back and cracked my mirror cap .i had the caps replaced but it had made the lower section slightly loose so water eventually got into the LED indicator and it finally gave up on me last week .The strip is a separate part and it should cost u no more than £15 from audi .You have to remove the caps and a couple screws to get it to it though so all in all it should take u no longer than 20 minutes to replace.

Reactions: Tempy
That is good news. Thanks for the response. I'm quite near a dealer so will pop in and see if I can get one. Thanks again.

Just thought I'd pop into the thread to update it. I managed to get a replacement from Audi, although it was a bit more than £15 but I don't mind as I thought I was looking at a new wing mirror.

The replacement was relatively easy to fit and as an added bonus, the wing mirror housing which I thought was broken just turned out to be mis-aligned on its retaining clips. The impact must have popped it out of the clips. When I put the mirror back together correctly and lined the housing up properly to clip into place, everything went together perfectly and nothing is loose. Happy days! I'm over the moon with what turned out to be a pretty cheap fix.

Nice when you get the little annoyings things sorted. Thanks for the advice.

Mine has done the same not sure if someone had knocked mine no Sign of damage but after 10 seconds the Millie dimms right down any idears I put pics on a separate thread but will get a vid up as it show up better. Can anyone help ?

......after 10 seconds the Millie dimms right down

What's a Millie?

Looking at your other posts, it looks like your wing mirror lights are the same as mine. Unusual symptoms though. Strange that it dims after a few seconds. Changing the LED strip in the wing mirror is a little fiddly but not to hard to do. I got my replacement from the main dealer and including VAT is was just shy of £30. Maybe TPS can supply cheaper or source one from a breakers?

You could try replacing, but it's a bit pricey if it doesn't resolve the issue. The LED strip has a plug connector at one end and screws into the wing mirror cover to hold into place. You'll easily see what you need to do once you've got the wing mirror apart.

To get it open, angle the mirror down towards to floor as far is it will go. You'll then be able to get your fingers in behind the mirror to gently pull towards you and pop the mirror off the backing plate. Be careful as if you break the mirror, it's expensive to replace, especially if you have the heated ones. Once you have that off, there will be two small wires running to the heat pad on the back of the mirror so be careful not to yank too hard and rip those off. Once the mirror is off you'll be able to see the tabs that hold the mirror cover on. Pop that off and you'll see the LED strip fixed to the wing mirror cover, the small screws holding it in place and the power connecter.

There may be a more technological reason as to why the light comes on then dims which I don't know, but thought I'd post to my experience to see if that helps.

Thanks not sure what milly is prob iPhone auto ccorrect will get a replacement strip was hoping it wouldn't come to that.
didnt get vid done as I have totalled my new northface jacket an am totally ****** didnt wanna start messaging with the car after that.

I have to replace one of these as it has part of it missing. Will try and take some pics...

Just replaced LED indicator in the mirror:

You will need a size ten star screwdriver head.

1. Using the controls in the car tilt the mirror down and firmly pull the mirror out towards you. Be careful not to pull off the heating connection cables. Leave the mirror attached by the two cables.

SDC11630

2. Remove the mechanism that moves the mirror glass by unscrewing the one long screw in the centre of the mechanism.
3. Unscrew the star screws to release lower section of the wing mirror. This can be quite tight and also has clips that you will need to ease off. I used a small flat headed screw driver to ease the clips.

Screws1

4. Once removed the wing mirror should look like the image below:

SDC11644

5. Unscrew all of the remaining screws (you can leave the two holding the glass clips in place).
6. I have included an image of the wiring you will need to un-clip to remove the LED indicator strip. Again I used a small flat headed screw driver to prise the clip and then push out the connector.

SDC11641

7. Remove the top section and feed the mechanism and mirror through:

SDC11634

8. Now pop the top section is off. You can now easily unscrew the LED indicator and slide in the replacement, The new part is 8K0 949 101 A. This is really straight forward so need for an image.
9. Replace the top section, re-connect the wires and test that the indicator is working.

The re-fitting is a reversal of the above. Be careful with the re-fitting of the lower section as it will need to clip back on as well as line up for the screw holes. One thing I would do in hindsight would be to lower the window and drape a towel over to protect the door from the hanging mirror glass.

If anybody needs any other pics let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafaelsb
Went Kwik fit, done this four £57 which included part and labour on the A4. No time to do it myself.