Leeds car crime?

Ben S3 8P3

Reaction score
Ive just bought myself an 8P2 S3 and after reading horror stories I am now very paranoid!

Has anyone in Leeds had an S3/A3 and actually had no problems with vandalism or crime?

I live in a student house and have no drive way but i'm in quite a quiet area, I have had my car in Leeds for 2 years now no problem, but with a drastic upgrade I am now a little worried!

What would you best advice be to avoid anything happening?

I was thinking of getting a steering lock to just deter people.

I also have the Satnav unit, can people just smash a window and steal that?!

All the stories have also made me vigilant about posting pictures or location on forums or even Facebook.

What do you think?

Cant comment on the Leeds area myself but as for steering locks, they can come of in under 10 seconds very very easily by someone who knows what they are doing.
Search youtube, its frightening how ineffective they are. Might slow down a poor thief.

Modern thefts seem to be either millennium burglaries where they come after the key, or they simply tow it or flatbed it away.

There is a sticky thread relating to RNSE thefts you should read:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ice-rns-e-navigation-unit-thefts-updated.html

You could think about installing a tracker or an in car cam. And mind where you park.

Silver, I have read many horror stories on here particularly about one Leeds car park where the cars were taken on a regular basis. As MTRL says, the usual method these days is picking up by a hiab or towed. I believe they smash a window and release the handbrake.

If you can, garage it. Thats all I ever do - the wing mirrors seem a popular choice too which is what I am most paranoid about.

One thing I looked into was upgrading the alarm system. The Audi alarm is fairly pathetic IMHO - have a search on here, there are a few threads where better alarm systems can be integrated into the Audi key ring, so no need for an extra fob and can cover proximity sensors etc etc etc.

All this having been said, if they want it bad enough they will have it - unfortunately thats just the way it is.

Let us know what solution you come up with.

Silver, I have read many horror stories on here particularly about one Leeds car park where the cars were taken on a regular basis. As MTRL says, the usual method these days is picking up by a hiab or towed. I believe they smash a window and release the handbrake.

If you can, garage it. Thats all I ever do - the wing mirrors seem a popular choice too which is what I am most paranoid about.

One thing I looked into was upgrading the alarm system. The Audi alarm is fairly pathetic IMHO - have a search on here, there are a few threads where better alarm systems can be integrated into the Audi key ring, so no need for an extra fob and can cover proximity sensors etc etc etc.

All this having been said, if they want it bad enough they will have it - unfortunately thats just the way it is.

Let us know what solution you come up with.

Cheers for the replies. I was thinking about the alarm but then saw the post on here where the type r got broken into with a £1000 alarm system :(

Luckily I do park right outside my window and can hear even footsteps near my car.

What my housemates and I are most worried about though is someone forcing entry to get the keys and possibly using weapons.

I read an article from 2005 where 48 people were arrested from Kirkstall area that burgle for keys. And presumably they are all now out on the streets again.

Which car park is the one you're talking about?

To immobilise the car (won't stop it being lifted onto a flat bad) choose some part of the electrics to disable like the fuel pump with a 'secret' switch.

Liam

Cant tell you exactly which car park it is, but just search 'Leeds car park' on this site, there are a few. Perhaps PM some of the victims for some advice/local knowledge.

get an alarm which will go off if the car is lifted,ok this wont stop them but at least the alarm will be going off while they do this so might get some peoples attention even if just for descriptional info if it was taken,also most trackers work on the vehicle been moved if they keys arent in the ignition

I live in Wakefield and my friend with a 11plate S3, had it 1week and it got stripped bare outside his work place (works night). Then he got it all fixed/replaced and his windscreen got put through. I live 1mile away from him with a 56plate S3 and nothings happened to mine. I also know someone elses S3 in wakefield that got nicked using the keys (got it back via tracker couple days later but still). I suppose its just unlucky if it happens to you.

Get a remap, comes with a immobiliser map aswell. I'ln stall it before you leave the car, bingo car won't go any where!!! P.s hide the switching unit.