Audi a3 170tdi quattro

whiteek4

Reaction score
Hi, am after some help. I have a a3 tdi 170 quattro, 2007 plate. Recently it has been struggling to start. You would think the battery flat. When trying to start it turns over really slow which would point to a flat battery but once it turns over about 5 time it turns over normal speed and starts. I have had the battery checked and seems ok. Anyone have any ideas would be great!

Not really no.. I'd try replacing starter motor first to be honest.

Always depress the clutch when starting.
I'd say have starter motor checked and then glow plugs.

Hi, am after some help. I have a a3 tdi 170 quattro, 2007 plate. Recently it has been struggling to start. You would think the battery flat. When trying to start it turns over really slow which would point to a flat battery but once it turns over about 5 time it turns over normal speed and starts. I have had the battery checked and seems ok. Anyone have any ideas would be great!

Replace the battery... The battery may be testing ok but I bet it's on it's way out! Especially at 5 years old.

Defo get a new battery. The one to get is a Varta E44, it's been discussed to death on ASN. I bought one recently, £75 from Amazon.

S

It's temperature-related and all PD 170Tdis do it IMO when the ambient temps get to around 10degrees. The starter works fine but the engine takes more turns to start or starts and fails to catch. Mine has just started doing it again since earlier this year now the temps have dropped this past week. It's odd because it not exactly near freezing and the glow plugs don't really need much action unless it gets to around that temp.

Thanks for the help guys. A have since fitted a new battery and this has seems to of solved he problem! :) thanks

Glad you got it sorted. Seen a huge difference in mine after fitting the new battery....