Aftermarket brake pads?

JaminBen

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm wondering if there are better brake pads out there than what VAG offers.

I'm looking for better initial bite, and am willing to trade extra dust and noise for that.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Ben.

Do Pagid do a fast road pad for your car? Used these in the past on previous Golfs and always had god results from the. Theyalso aren't as harsh as the EBC pads and are gentle on your disks.

J.

Shhhesh, just spent close to an hour looking for a 3.2 application: no luck!

Tried EBC and EBC direct, and a bunch of other sites... This sux!

Anyone have an idea?

Sorry can't help JB. But after swapping all my wheels around this afternoon I took a close look at my pads. What the h*ll do Audi make them out of, cause mine look brand new after 13k.

Either that or I brake like a pussy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well fellas, I give up: haven't found anything!

Yup the standard pads are "long-life" too, lol!

I'd gladly trade faster wear for more bite... The little twisty roads I drive on most of the time have lots of "nice" blind turns. Have to slow down for those... The standard pads demand that one hit the brake pedal hard and very fast to achieve significant initial deceleration...

I could see rear pads for a 2003 -> 3.2, but nothing for the fronts on that ebc catalogue...

LOL at you lot and EBC,

Cheap skates !

If you want proper pads i would sujest Tarox.

all i will say is green stuff are crap, and they made a real mess of my old discs. allthough they were good at not producing a lot of brake dust. but not good when you wana stop quick.

I think when I called AMD they said that the 3.2 Front Pads are from the RS4 (Old One). This is certainly the case on 3.2 TT's. EBC do the red stauffs to fit.

Steve

Hey, thanks for the input everyone.

I have no personal expersince with EBC, nor do Iknow anyone with dirdet experience with them. Are they bad?

I'll look at Tarox, see what I can find for the B5 RS4, and Rich@JBR is looking as well.

S-Line, I know you didn't fault the brakes at the track, but I think we could get more initial bite from pads on our 345mm / 282mm discs.

Personally I would avoid tarox stuff unless your going for one of thier monster brake conversions and if that is the case then you may as well save a load of cash and get the mov-it set instead.

Had Tarox discs and pads on my mkII Golf 2.0Gti and hated them, expensive and useless and that was on a light car.

J.

I think not! The RS4(old) and the 3.2 TT has e 2 piston capiler and the A3 3,2 has a one piston capiler. But just looking at photos I think that the S4 B6 (probebly the B7 too) has the same capiler and discs as the 3.2 A3. Not sure but some one might know!
So look at the ECS under the S4 section and make your own appinion.

what size were the r32 fronts, and didn't they use those 'floating' discs?

The r32 fronts are 334mm x 32mm and no there not the floating type just the standard 1 piece disc. Actually from the the w8...

J.

HEy i have a idea - what about the standard Audi Ones ?

What are "Ones"? Are they like disposable wet wipes? j/k ;-)

Honestly, you just may have a point there. Although I can't help thinking the standard Audi ones have no initial "bite".

Perhaps it isn't the pads' fault, and that I should be looking to reduce caliper flex instead (i.e. go for an entirely different setup). Or maybe go for stainless brake lines? (Although those never did much for me in the past, on 3 different automobiles.)

Perhaps I should simply take a chill pill and leave well enough alone? Nah, forget that: this car is good, but it could easily be great!

the brakes on my a3 are better than the brakes on my WR1, leave alone mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But they are so very inferior (in terms of initial bite only) to my SL's. And it's only a 500, not an AMG. And it's about 600 pounds heavier than the A3... Yet, when you hit the stop pedal, it bites hard.

There is definitely room for improvement.