Remove & spray entire front grill & chrome surround?

BradHatton

Reaction score
Hi all, I've searched and had no luck.

I have sprayed my front grill but had to mask the entire area which took the p**********, so I'm wondering whether there is a way to easily remove the grill or just the chrome surround? As I've realised the chrome surround on the lower grill pops out!

Please let me know if you can help me out, cheers :)

I was wondering this. I'd like to change the chrome to black but unfortunately do not have any money spare to buy one. Am definitely considering removing and spraying. It's just a case of preparing the chrome so that the paint sticks to it and selecting a long lasting paint.

I used to be a paint sprayer so I'm sure I could get a good finish on it. When you do it, post pics please :)

Well I've already done it, I used U-POL primer and halfords matt black, the paint didn't fancy sticking to the grill at first so I added layer upon layer and kept sanding it back.

It needs a couple more layers of primer then a couple layers of black and it will be done!
Ill get pictures up soon.

Quite a few people use plasti-dip, very easy to apply and has a great finish, this is the only photo I've got of mine

46A59589-CB68-4A26-8C2F-498599D248AD-2630-0000015E3D736363_zps2640b72b.jpg

And yeah a 25mm bung is the right size, just make sure you block of the fluid pipe!

Quite a few people use plasti-dip, very easy to apply and has a great finish, this is the only photo I've got of mine

And yeah a 25mm bung is the right size, just make sure you block of the fluid pipe!

How did you remove the surrounds? Thanks

Well I have a split grill model I'm pretty sure same applies for the single grill as well though, it pops out with clips all the way around, it's very easy to break these though so be careful! I used a small flathead and gently popped each one out

Well I have a split grill model I'm pretty sure same applies for the single grill as well though, it pops out with clips all the way around, it's very easy to break these though so be careful! I used a small flathead and gently popped each one out

Might have to give this a try.

Not sure whether i should give it a go, or just mask it all up again.. :think:

iv got some pdf of an exploded diagram pm your email and ill send you them

youll have to take the bumper off and you can split them into 3 seperate bits (the rings pop out too)

dont be afraid to use a bit of force

If ur planning to take the grill out id warm up the clips with a hairdryer to make them a little more flexy. Should help a little

I dont know if its as easy on the single grille,when i had mine wrapped on the old car it was definately safer with the bumper off so i could get to the back of the pegs where they clip through the bumper and i wouldnt have fancied doing it another way from how much of a pain in the *** it was then,i already had the bumper off for painting at that point so it was the best way for me though

take front bumper off then remove grille and clips so middle section and chrome surround come off without braking clips.

did it myself.

here is pic of my a3 with complete grill and surround done in gloss black. also did lower middle lip in carbon wrap.

Before
[URL="http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/ruairi83/My%20Car/?action=view&current=DSC01256.jpg"]http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/ruairi83/My%20Car/?action=view&current=DSC01256.jpg[/URL]

After
http://m163.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/ruairi83/My Car/DSC01278-1.jpg
http://m163.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/ruairi83/My Car/DSC01280.jpg

Newbie here (and not very mechanically minded). I want to do the same thing. I've unclipped the lower chrome frame from my split grille A3 - but do I have to remove the whole of the upper grille to get at the top frame? Thanks for any tips...