Anyone tried Yokohama Parada Spec 2?

I love em,once they warm the grip loads, not a bad price either. The are a soft tyre though.I know others may not agree with me but I think there great

What are they like in the wet? As we seem to be blessed with a fair bit in good old England.

What are they like in the wet?

Like all of that type of tyre.

Not good

I use Toyo R1Rs on mine and like the Yokos great when hot and on a dry road but on a wet road grip is manageable but below what you'd expect from a decent all weather tyre.

Do you think I should stick(excuse the pun) michelin PS3's then?

Asymmetrics type tyres are generally better for wet then?

Goodyear F1s are an excellent all round tyre but all tyres are a compromise.

It depends on how far you're prepared to sacrifice wet grip for dry performance.

I have a few sets of tyres but it doesn't mean the weather can't catch you out.

I had Toyo proxes T1R's on my previous 8P S3 and I found they made the steering extremely heavy and when you turn in to a corner they were always fighting me.

These 'stock' bridgestone RE05A I've got on my new one have lasted 11k, noisy useless things.

Michelin PS3's lasted 16k (they we're VERY bald) but performance wise I couldn't fault them, (wet or dry)the massive price is the only thing stopping me at the second.

I spoke to a guy who has Goodyear eagle F1's on his 170 TDI Quattro and he said they were definietly 'nothing special' so with my stage 2 S3 that worries me a bit that they're not up to the additional power.

Im up for trying something different, I just don't want them to be anything like the T1R's. Yes they were sticky, but they put up a fight.

I had Toyo proxes T1R's on my previous 8P S3 and I found they made the steering extremely heavy and when you turn in to a corner they were always fighting me. These 'stock' bridgestone RE05A I've got on my new one have lasted 11k, noisy useless things. Michelin PS3's lasted 16k (they we're VERY bald) but performance wise I couldn't fault them, (wet or dry)the massive price is the only thing stopping me at the second. I spoke to a guy who has Goodyear eagle F1's on his 170 TDI Quattro and he said they were definietly 'nothing special' so with my stage 2 S3 that worries me a bit that they're not up to the additional power. Im up for trying something different, I just don't want them to be anything like the T1R's. Yes they were sticky, but they put up a fight.
I've never tried T1Rs.....I use R1Rs,which are very different.

Im sure they are, maybe slight overkill for me though and they are quite expensive and don't last very long..
In that case,I think you'd find the Yokos to be at least as snaky in the wet,and probably not worth it.
I was fine on F1's and PS3s until the power really went up,so at anything below that,they should be fine.

I think your right....but now thinking about it....a bit of slipperyness might bring some drama to the drive!

The Quattro gives me virtually none!

Decisions decisions....

I think your right....but now thinking about it....a bit of slipperyness might bring some drama to the drive! The Quattro gives me virtually none!Decisions decisions....
Depends on what you want......if these things slip on a dry road,you'd be going pretty fast,but they will break traction under load on a wet road fairly easily,and you do have to be ready for that,plus the inevitable if you need to brake hard on a wet road.

Yokohama Parada Spec 2 = £130

Michelin PS3 = £134

Goodyear Eagle F1 = £136

not much in it..

The Paradas and T1R's are good for dry weather grip and will wear quickly on a heavy hatchback such as a A3. Forget the Paradas in wet weather they are lethal IMO on any car above 1000kilos.
You need the big brand tyres such as Good Year, Michelins etc, for the A3. One of the Continental tyres or Michelin PS3 would be my choice.

Reactions: S3Alex
I'm running continential sport contact 5's. Love em, grip well wet or dry. I had some crap tyres on before and had a few scary moments in the car, after changing them all for SC5's i've been fine. Although they're a soft compound by the looks of it, my fronts are gonna need changing in another 2-3000 miles. They haven't lasted me a massively long time, probably clocked up around 10 on them so far. But it is a PD170 and i do give it the beans quite often. I paid £120 per tyre from black circles. As someone once said to me, its better to have good grippy tyres that u go through more often than crap ones that last u forever.

Hello mjr901,

In terms of comparing prices and performances across tyre ranges you could try having a look at our website where we display test results for different road conditions as well as a tool for comparing the prices of different tyre makes.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 3 can be found here: Test & review Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyre
The Goodyear Eagle F1 here: Test & review Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric tyre
As well as the Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 here: Test & review Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyre

I hope this can be of some use, unfortunately we don't have any detailed information about the Yokohama tyres that have been discussed.

Happy driving!

I've been keeping an eye on this thread and I think I'm going to give the Conti Sport Contact 5s a go, wanting a soft compund with performance over longevity to be honest. I'm due a new set this month.

iphone027.jpg

Thats nuts!! Well, according to the reviews given by 'rezulteo' I think Im edging towards the Eagle F1 asymmetric....

The stats are really good for Eagle F1 asymmetric 2's but road noise scores poorly and the fact it only has 1 source for that tyre isnt broad enough for me.

Michelins PS3s are very good but Im one of those people that likes change :)

Not sure if the tyre was at fault, or the driver, but the tyre in this thread is a Parada Spec 2 and it was in the dry...http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/68399-i-ran-out-talent.html
I think that Andy admitted he just missed the kerb(or rather didn't miss it!),but you kind of got the impression that he was prone to abusing that car a bit,as the holed piston episode tended to suggest.
Basically a day at full boost trying to keep up with an R8 V10 on stock internals running over 440bhp etc......it wasn't going to last.

I think that Andy admitted he just missed the kerb(or rather didn't miss it!),but you kind of got the impression that he was prone to abusing that car a bit,as the holed piston episode tended to suggest.
Basically a day at full boost trying to keep up with an R8 V10 on stock internals running over 440bhp etc......it wasn't going to last.

I went out in said car as a passenger on the A33 between Reading and Basingstoke (about a month after this incident), and I think you're absolutely fair in mentioning he didn't hang about, but I'm still here to tell the tale so it's all good! I did a short review on it here!

I went out in said car as a passenger on the A33 between Reading and Basingstoke (about a month after this incident), and I think you're absolutely fair in mentioning he didn't hang about, but I'm still here to tell the tale so it's all good! I did a short review on it here!
I'll tell you Warren.....it was that review,plus the sort of mock battle between Andy and JonnyC that finally made me take the plunge and start chopping mine around.
This place and VAGOC have a lot to answer for!

looks pretty nice..So is it dead now? or engine re-done?
You mean Andy's old car.......?
It was advertised recently with a rebuilt engine,but the point is,if you're going to build one of these properly,you have to do it well,and you have to treat it right.
That was run on stock internals at maximum boost and the holed piston was the result.......you need forged internals,plus WMI,and a boost controller to really start going for it.

parada spec 2 is a great tire on the dry once warmed up. the ride is a bit harsher. on the wet is ok, but it's bad with aquaplaning and water pot holes at higher speeds.

parada spec 2 is a great tire on the dry once warmed up. the ride is a bit harsher. on the wet is ok, but it's bad with aquaplaning and water pot holes at higher speeds.
I'd agree...I've had Yokos on two previous cars and been happy with them,but as you say,and I think we all have,none of these are good in standing water or changeable conditions.

I'd forget about the Yokohama Parada Spec2s, the fitment sizes tells you that these are for light power FWD cars and not for anything with some serious power.

I'd vote for Goodyear F1s a very good wet and dry tyre that lasts well.

I have these and my mate always mentions 'Parada steer in the wet' which relates back to a close call where we both wondered how we never ended up in a ditch,superb in the dry though.

I have these and my mate always mentions 'Parada steer in the wet' which relates back to a close call where we both wondered how we never ended up in a ditch,superb in the dry though.

So really these Paradas are to be classed as a 'slick'. I know they're technically not but it would seem they are only any good in the dry.

Thanks for telling me this guys, with this flaming weather we have, you've really gotta account for the wet, as it plays are major part in our lives!

Think it'll be the Goodyears over the Michelins, purely because I've had the PS3's before and I fancy a stab and something different.

But hang on....Parada do an asymmetric tyre too dont they? anyone had these?

In theory, they should behave great in the wet and dry due to similar tread designs as the PS3 + F1's?

I do not know how the compound affects wet weather grip ie soft/hard? Do you?

Goodyear Assymetrics came out top in 2012 test and excelled in literally every area. Problem with tyre tests is that tyres the work well on one car may not work so well on another. There are no 'terrible' premium brand tyres, just stay away from anything with a name that sounds like a town in the **** end of Mongolia!

Yokohama S Drive is amazing in dry and amazing in wet.
It's the tyre that i pushed it to the limit and i will bought them again!

Does anyone know if Goodyear do the F1 in 215/35/19. Tried searching there but nothing came up :(

I've had the Goodyear Assymetric 2's in 225/35 19 on my S3 for almost a year and I am really impressed with them. I don't go nuts, but I certainly don't hang around either and ocassionally the teenager in me still comes out and I have a proper blast, and the tyres have never once given me anything but great grip and feedback, wet or dry. They can be noisy on some surfaces but to be honest so can all tyres and certainly no more than normal. They are quiet on the motorway and most A/B roads, there is no hint of tramlining on any surface, they seem to be wearing well and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
They came second to the Pirelli P Zero's in this months tyre test in EVO on a front wheel drive A3, and are often placed top or second in the tyre tests I have read.

I know tyres are pretty subjective, and one man's meat is another man's poison, but as I say I dont think you would regret buying the Goodyears.

Hope that helps.

I had Toyo proxes T1R's on my previous 8P S3 and I found they made the steering extremely heavy and when you turn in to a corner they were always fighting me.

These 'stock' bridgestone RE05A I've got on my new one have lasted 11k, noisy useless things.

Michelin PS3's lasted 16k (they we're VERY bald) but performance wise I couldn't fault them, (wet or dry)the massive price is the only thing stopping me at the second.

I spoke to a guy who has Goodyear eagle F1's on his 170 TDI Quattro and he said they were definietly 'nothing special' so with my stage 2 S3 that worries me a bit that they're not up to the additional power.

Im up for trying something different, I just don't want them to be anything like the T1R's. Yes they were sticky, but they put up a fight.

This is going back around 10+ years or so now, but I used to have Goodyear Eagle F1’s on my Renault Clio Williams 3!

With regards to grip and handling, they were absolutely fantastic - in both dry and wet conditions. The main problem was the durability though, as they were a very soft compound tyre.

The Williams 3 is a relatively light (around 1000 kg’s) 150bhp FWD hot-hatch, yet I still found myself having to change the front tyres every 6 months or so. I’m not saying the tyres haven’t improved or developed over the years, but that’s always put me off buying them again with my more recent cars – especially for the S3, which is a particularly heavy (1455 kg’s) 261bhp predominantly FWD hot-hatch.

My S3 originally came with the factory fitted Bridgestone Potenza RE050A’s, and I swapped all four tyres for Michelin Pilot Sport 3’s as soon as I could. I didn’t rate the Bridgestone’s at all to be honest…

I’ve been running on PS3’s ever since, and have just ordered two more to replace my front tyres which need replacing.

The PS3’s – like the F1’s – are great in both dry and wet conditions, although more noticeably so in the wet – and they seem to very durable as well, as they tend to last me a long time…

i'm saving for pilot supersports saw them and they seem to be really grippy. but will also have to go for 19" wheels...

i'm saving for pilot supersports saw them and they seem to be really grippy. but will also have to go for 19" wheels...

Yeah, I pondered these - but apparently the tyres of the standard 225/40 tyres on 18" wheels have the wrong load balance for the UK. Maybe I'll have to get some 19"s as well... :)

I have them on mine and they are great but in wet you do drift a bit ;)