iPhone 5 & RNS-E compatibility

Von Maximo

The Damned
Reaction score
Anyone know if the iPhone 5 is compatible with the RNS-E? I've just tried pairing mine and it doesn't want to seem to connect!

Cruiser, you tested it with AMI too?

Don't have AMI in my A3 as just use SD.

MY A6 Le Man has it but can't test it yet as Apple didn't send out my converter. As soon as it get shipped I will try it.

Siri works ok over the Bluetooth though. Nice touch.

Siri work on the bluetooth on my iPhone 4 and pioneer unit... though that doesnt help much as Siri is cack! not yet got my iPhone 5 (upgrade in December) so i cant say about the new version (havent got iOS 6 either as not untethered jailbreakable yet)

Siri works through my Bluetooth with rns-e. I am running a iPhone 4S. Works with the latest iOS6 and the old software.

Can't stand Siri though, think he is a waist of time and needs the sack!

yup ditto EE is getting around. As for the actual 4G, stand by.

Is it just Siri & calls on the BT or can the music come through?

yup ditto EE is getting around. As for the actual 4G, stand by.

Is it just Siri & calls on the BT or can the music come through?

Music over bluetooth is more the receiving unit not the phone, as all modern phones support A2DP.
As far as it goes the RNSE doesn't support A2DP though I heard of an add on for the AMI unit to allow music over bluetooth.
Its a handy feature to have, i have it on the Pioneer and its great for when friends want to play their music through the car speakers regardless of what phone they have.

Just got my iphone 5, works fine with me RNS-E and BT

what pioneer unit do you have ash?

AVH 8400BT

028a33ff.jpg

It depends on your version of BT module if the latest handsets will work reliably, an older M module didnt like my mates iphone 4 very much at all, so OP maybe needs to check his version fitted & maybe look at an upgrade, I would also try resetting the BT module.

The BT dongle for ami is no longer sold by audi, for what reason who knows & for me a bad decision as would sell more ami units if they were still available.

It depends on your version of BT module if the latest handsets will work reliably, an older M module didnt like my mates iphone 4 very much at all, so OP maybe needs to check his version fitted & maybe look at an upgrade, I would also try resetting the BT module.

The BT dongle for ami is no longer sold by audi, for what reason who knows & for me a bad decision as would sell more ami units if they were still available.

Thanks NHN. I think you could be right as it's a 2004/05 car. Although it worked perfectly on my iPhone 4 so can't understand why it won't work on my iPhone 5

You mentioned resetting the BT module; how is this done?

TBH if 4 worked ok & 5 doesnt, then I'd say need an updated module mate, as 4 would give you trouble aswell if it was faulty.

Reactions: Von Maximo
Siri works through my Bluetooth with rns-e. I am running a iPhone 4S. Works with the latest iOS6 and the old software.

How does SIRI work with RNS-E? Can you activate it from the wheel?
When I hit the Speech Button, it just goes into the standard Voice Dial.

How does SIRI work with RNS-E? Can you activate it from the wheel?
When I hit the Speech Button, it just goes into the standard Voice Dial.

It is activated using the phone. It simulates a call on the RNS-e.

They have a new system coming out for the new range of cars called Eyes Free which will interact with Voice control in the car. I expect that in the future there will be a device to incorporate this in to older cars.

On the AMI front - No adaptor yet. Apparently Apple haven't sent any out. A problem with testing is the rumour on forums.

Without knowing how the iPhone works with the AMI I thought I'd add my 2p

The 30pin-lightning adaptor will not support iPod out, so if the iPod can be controlled by the car via ami then I think the iPhone 5 will have some limitations. I think the analogue audio out from the phone is still supported, so you might still be able to connect the phone to play music, but there will be no control/album art/control from the car, it'll have to be done from the phone itself. I'm kinda hoping I'm wrong on this one as I also have a 30pin cable in my car, but mostly used with an old nano just for the car.

Disappointing that apple decided to do this, and rendered loads of in car systems redundant. But on the plus side, the iPhone 5 is the first iPhone that reliably streams bt music to my kenwood dnx unit without skipping via a2dp profile.

Apple are taking the p*** a little I think, some people paid £600 odd quid for the latest phone and they can't connect it to any existing kit? If you are going to change something so major at least make enough adapters for demand. I have the new phone and whilst I think its ok it is annoying I can't plug it into my car so at the moment I have an old Ipod plugged in put doesn't pick up news songs without taking it out the car.

Come on Apple sort it out!

this is exactly the reason i wait about 6 months before getting a new phone... let all the issues get sorted first!
my upgrade is in december so i think all the major stuff should all be fixed by then

I had to have it as bit of a geek like that and was out of contract so thought why not. Its not a massive issue for me as us SD cards too but I can see how it must be worse for some people. Just a poor show on apples part.

Do you think Audi will be producing an iPhone 5 cradle? If not I hope the adaptor will work with my 4 cradle, need to charge my phone!!

Damn your iphone 5 must have the best battery ever, maybe it was a prototype lmao.

Most people here seem to be blaming Apple for moving with the times, but Audi have some catching up to do when it comes to support for BT music streaming (A2DP)! a decent implementation would nullify the need to plug mobile phones into the car system.

13.jpg

Apple stuck with the same port for 5 years, but it wasn't so long ago that Nokia changed their port every six months.

Last edited:
I think a lot of manufactures have a lot of catching up to do but it doesn't excuse the fact that apple themselves don't have enough stock of their own product adapters knowing there are already millions of devices using the old 30 pin connector.

Si

I think a lot of manufactures have a lot of catching up to do but it doesn't excuse the fact that apple themselves don't have enough stock of their own product adapters knowing there are already millions of devices using the old 30 pin connector.

Si
surely supplying a charging lead is enough? It's up to 3rd party accessory suppliers to get their collective fingers out. it's been common knowledge (amongst those in the industry) for months that this was going to happen.

...and as I said, If Audi had implemented BT music streaming, the connection type wouldn't be an issue.

I disagree, they knew the demand would be massive for the adapter and any 3rd party stuff needs to be licensed. The new leads aren't just a charging lead hence why you can't get any 3rd party ones either.

It will never stop people queuing and buying their stuff as they are fantastic products but a bit of a short fall on the compatibility.