Hmm Where did it go?

V6kris

Reaction score
morning guys got a quick question to see if anyone knows anything about were my fuel went lol?

ok so last night i was parking the car and said to myself ok i have 190 miles till empty that will do me over the long weekend :), i woke up this morning and started car will 100 mte :s anyone any clues to whats happened it was like 3oc outside if that could make any changes? thanks.

Pretty sure it makes an estimate based on the MPG your doing.

So when you switched it on this morning, full choke will have been on ie loads more fuel being used and therefore mpg lower.

Go have a 'cruise' and i should think you'll find a few miles here and there.

Pretty sure it makes an estimate based on the MPG your doing.

So when you switched it on this morning, full choke will have been on ie loads more fuel being used and therefore mpg lower.

Go have a 'cruise' and i should think you'll find a few miles here and there.

Correct !

I have started a journey when the indicator tells me I've got 100 miles left and after doing ten miles or so another look and it's telling me I've got 115 miles left ?????!!!!!!!

yeah i have that aswell when driving at a nice steady pace its will go up.

but im just confuised as to when i parked it last night i had 190 and today when just starting up and not moving thae car i have lost 95 miles?

p.s its a 2.0tdi 140

yeah i have that aswell when driving at a nice steady pace its will go up.

but im just confuised as to when i parked it last night i had 190 and today when just starting up and not moving thae car i have lost 95 miles?

p.s its a 2.0tdi 140

As mjr901 says you haven't lost the fuel its just an estimate based on the current MPG. When you started the car the choke is on pumping more fuel into the engine so the estimated tank reading goes down. As you start driving the car the fuel injection settles and returns the estimate to a more relative reading (similar to the one that it showed when you parked up last night).

If you had just done a long, steady run with cruise control or a very light right foot it was telling you that if you carried on exactly the same you had 190 miles left.

You have to start driving in a similar style to get it back - pretty pointless really but it does give a clue.

Best thing to do is fill the tank and run to empty (nearly!) a few times and note the average miles per tank that you get. Remember to zero the trip button each time and use that as a much more accurate indicator.

Mine is also a 2.0 tdi 140 and I average only about 450 miles per tank but most of that is short journeys.

cheers guys though my car was playin tricks on me lol,

mike what does it cost to fill yours if you dont mind me asking?

I hope so, my TDi 170 said 90 miles when I stuck 20 queen quids in after gettng it back from the garage, im hoping this is based on the past miles up and down the road testing for faults!

cheers guys though my car was playin tricks on me lol,

mike what does it cost to fill yours if you dont mind me asking?

Usually a full tank costs about £70 but obviously depends on current price, how long I let it go after the annoying warning comes on and type of trips I do !

I this got me once upon a time. THought i was going daft.

On the fuel cost note I paid 38£ for a full tank of fuel here in germany. Oh the joys of fuel coupons (military)

I miss those coupons, wait till you get posted (sorry, assigned :rolleyes: ) back to the UK mate, no fuel vouchers, lose the LOA, it'll be a shock to the system / wallet!