8P0-907-279-F HID Coding

Bull3t Proof

Reaction score
So, i have been searching the whole web for a step-by-step guide to retro-fitting Xenon\HID kits to my 2008 A3 (8P).

I have blown my wiper motor, and i know there is coding in VCDS that needs to be done in order for the headlights to utilize more than 12volts.

Now, the question is where??? :-(

Engine >>> Central Elec >>> Coding >>> and then what?

23 Byte system (8P0-907-279-F)

Looking forward to some help, thanks

You need to fit OEM xenons to avoid blowing wiper motors.

It is not the voltage that blows the motor - it's the heavy current draw when switching xenons on. The car only has a 12 volt supply.

VCDS is needed to code the control module for xenons in order for the self-levelling system to work and not produce errors on the DIS.

Presumably you have fitted self-levelling sensors and headlamp washers as well in order to pass the MOT ?

Check out these threads :- http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-auto-lights-switch-auto-lights-your-car.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/159472-hid-light-kit.html

Last edited:
Thanks Boet,

However i have read that yo can log into VCDS\VAG-COM and change the byte value for Xenon headlights or Bi-Xenon.
I just need help with the code, in South Africa we have no MOT regulations to comply by.

Thanks Boet,

However i have read that yo can log into VCDS\VAG-COM and change the byte value for Xenon headlights or Bi-Xenon.
I just need help with the code, in South Africa we have no MOT regulations to comply by.

May have been helpful if you'ld mentioned you were in SA in the first place ! Genuine VCDS will tell you which byte to alter for xenons.

You cant adjust the voltage for aftermarket hid kits, you need to fit oem ones or you'll be back to square one with wiper motor.

I have some rhd bixenon headlights if interested.

Where in SA are you based?

I bought some OE-spec ballasts, not original to an A3, from a BMW I think (though the seller reckoned they're for a VAG, but the part number suggests 5-series BMW), anywaythey are date stamped 2010 and all OE ballasts made by BOSCH will be to same OE-spec quality with regards electrical functioning. The problem with most aftermark HID ballasts is the quality is not the same as OE-spec ballasts, whilst they work fine on other cars the A3's super-sensitive (it's not clever and complex, it's just very fragile) can damage the wiper motor. I bought these to power some D1S bulbs for a xenon-projector conversion for my A3 headlights. Might not help if you're using aftermarket H7 HID kit though - there is the Spanish-sourced HID kit which is supposed to be reliable.

The main thing the coding does when changing to HID over Halogen is to prevent the strobing/bulb failure as the car can't detect the bulb correctly until you switch it over to recognise ballast+hid bulb. Of course there's the other options for Bi-Xenon/DRL etc, but even if it's an aftermarket kit change the VAGCOM setting to HID dippers/Halogen Main beam. Byte 21 from memory?