Downpipe options and MOT on A3 2.0 TFSI

downtothebone

Reaction score
Currently looking into swapping out the exhaust downpipe and keeping everything else stock. I've been looking at the APR unit and wanted to know if it is MOT friendly? Its a bit 'pricey' at £694 so if anyone has an alternative suggestion please let me know. Main criteria is car must pass MOT and I don't want a boom box (...I'll leave that to the wannabe gangstas !!!).

Thx.

Hi there
We do the downpipe with a choice of 100 cell or 200 cell Motorsports cats in 76mm and is MOT friendly.
Unit is supplied with the connecting pipe to allow it to join the stock system - sounds awesome.
Price to the forum members is £525.00 inc vat

Catcomparison.jpg

BCSFlexcomparison.jpg

Cheers
Nige
BCS Automotive

Hi there
We do the downpipe with a choice of 100 cell or 200 cell Motorsports cats in 76mm and is MOT friendly.
Unit is supplied with the connecting pipe to allow it to join the stock system - sounds awesome.
Price to the forum members is £525.00 inc vat

Catcomparison.jpg

BCSFlexcomparison.jpg

Cheers
Nige
BCS Automotive

I'll be in touch shortly ...

Thx.

Hey Nige

Very interesting claim about a 200 cell cat passing MOT. What type of catalyst do you use in yours? As far as I'm aware anything 400 or less can be trouble when it comes to emissions testing.

Thanks!

Evan

Hey Nige

Very interesting claim about a 200 cell cat passing MOT. What type of catalyst do you use in yours? As far as I'm aware anything 400 or less can be trouble when it comes to emissions testing.

Thanks!

Evan
Interesting ...subscribed.

So are you just as well fitting a straight pipe instead of a sports cat??? what is the point in a sports cat if it will not pass an MOT?

I`m just curious!

A sports cat fresh out of the box should meet the minimum MOT performance standards. Over time the chances of a sports cat passing decreases. Some people are successful using O2 spacers in conjunction with a sports cat to pull the oxygen sensors further out of the exhaust flow, therefore increasing the possibility of passing, but it's not guaranteed.

I decided on the BCS unit for my cabrio and its being fitted tomorrow along with ...
H&R lowering springs
Brembo HP2000 pads
Autotech HPFP internals
Superpro front control arm bushes
Mobil 1 oil change

Quite interested in one of these down pipes. What's the quality like?

A sports cat fresh out of the box should meet the minimum MOT performance standards. Over time the chances of a sports cat passing decreases. Some people are successful using O2 spacers in conjunction with a sports cat to pull the oxygen sensors further out of the exhaust flow, therefore increasing the possibility of passing, but it's not guaranteed.

spacing the rear O2 sensor stops the engine light from coming on by causing less emissions to flow through it. This makes the ecu think the cat is working correctly.

I dont think this will help in an MOT situation as they use an independant emission tester that they sick up your pipe (ou-er!).

I never had any problems with the sports cat and downpipe on mine passing an MOT but its a Milltek and not APR.