tfsi missfire?

karl210

Reaction score
My mate has a 2.0tfsi scirocco and he told me he had a powerloss at 4000rpm so he took it to a garage to have it plugged in and a fault with the throttle body came up, anyway we noticed the arm for some butterfly on the passenger side front of the engine had come off so we fixed that and he took me out for a spin and it hadnt fixed the problem. It goes fine up untill 4000rpm and to me it feels ignition related, it sounds like its pinging or missfiring and the car judders and takes forever to get upto 5000 rpm then goes fine again. So we pulled over i took each one of his coils out making sure all the connections are fine blah blah, put them back in and went for another spin, exactly the same problem but then when we pulled up it was running on 3 cylinders, we shut the engine off and on again and it was running on all 4.
My guess is a coil is goosed, so next time its running on 3 i will get him to unplug them and see which is the culprit, unless you guys think we should be looking elsewhere? Also do you know if there has been a coil pack recall? its an 09 would this matter? thanks

My mate has a 2.0tfsi scirocco and he told me he had a powerloss at 4000rpm so he took it to a garage to have it plugged in and a fault with the throttle body came up, anyway we noticed the arm for some butterfly on the passenger side front of the engine had come off so we fixed that and he took me out for a spin and it hadnt fixed the problem. It goes fine up untill 4000rpm and to me it feels ignition related, it sounds like its pinging or missfiring and the car judders and takes forever to get upto 5000 rpm then goes fine again. So we pulled over i took each one of his coils out making sure all the connections are fine blah blah, put them back in and went for another spin, exactly the same problem but then when we pulled up it was running on 3 cylinders, we shut the engine off and on again and it was running on all 4.
My guess is a coil is goosed, so next time its running on 3 i will get him to unplug them and see which is the culprit, unless you guys think we should be looking elsewhere? Also do you know if there has been a coil pack recall? its an 09 would this matter? thanks

Spark plugs are probably worth checking too - they were the culprit for a misfire on my s3.

what code did you get ?

p2015 fat code
intake manifold runner position sensor / switch circuit range / performance bank 1a
the arm coming off the round vacuum box thing on the gearbox side of the engine had come off so weve connected that back up, im guessing thats what that code was for? cheers

18447/P2015/008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Implausible Signal [h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
  • Power Loss
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Intake Manifold Flap faulty
  • Intake Manifold Flap Motor (V157) stuck/faulty
  • Engine Control Module Software/Firmware Version faulty
  • Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Intake Manifold Flap Motor (V157) faulty
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
  • Check Intake Manifold Flap
  • Check/Replace Intake Manifold Flap Motor (V157)
    • Perform Output Tests/Basic Setting
  • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Intake Manifold Flap Motor (V157)
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • In some Cases the Issue can only be resolved by Replacing the whole Intake Manifold.
  • The Intake Manifold Flap Motor (V157) and Manifold Runner Position Sensor (G336) may be Part of the same Unit.
  • When found in a VW Golf/Jetta (1K): 1.9l PD-TDI (BRM), check Engine Control Module (ECM) Software Version:
    • 03G-906-016-AB @ 7328 or 7550 as well as 03G-906-016-AC @ 7280 or 7551 do have a Software Error which requires a special Adaptation for the Intake Manifold Flap Motor (V157) which at this Point can only be performed with the Factory Tool.

thanks for that but i think we have already fixed this and even if not i dont see how that could cause missfire like symptoms from 4-5k and occasionally run on 3 cylinders