If you use AMI then watch out with the new iPhone and iPod Touch

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Can see this catching some people out but, if you use AMI for music then be aware that the new iPhone 5 and the new iPod Touch won't work with it, even with the dock adapter.

Just a heads up :)

They are going from 30pin down to 11 or something around that number.

Would have thought the dock adaptor would work as it converts data and power.

My 5 arrives next week so il be able to check.

The new dock connector doesn't support analogue audio out anymore, it's purely digital.

I'm fairly certain that the AMI uses this analogue signal for audio, meaning you won't get any sound with the new devices. Whilst the adapter would allow you to physically connect them to the AMI cable, without the audio out you're not going to get any sound.

They selling an adapter to allow you to still use iPhone 4 assesories at a cost of £25!

The new dock connector doesn't support analogue audio out anymore, it's purely digital.

I'm fairly certain that the AMI uses this analogue signal for audio, meaning you won't get any sound with the new devices. Whilst the adapter would allow you to physically connect them to the AMI cable, without the audio out you're not going to get any sound.

Ahh yes, I remember them saying it was all digital. Hmmm could be right then.

If you view the gallery on this link, it shows Apple demonstrating the Iphone 5 working with Audi AMI at yesterday's launch (11th photo)

Hallam - ah, very interesting, thanks for that, maybe the AMI system does use a digital connection rather than analogue after all!

Why would anyone want to buy an iphone 5? :undwech:

It's ok everyone! The link above talks about A5s and A6s so surely it'll be fine with our AMI!!

:laugh:

Hmm, now I'm really confused as I was sure the AMI just used the analogue audio out on the old dock connector but can't see how this would work, yet as mentioned above the picture clearly shows it connected to an Audi AMI system.

Could really do with knowing this as I'm on the brink of ordering an iPhone5. In theory I should be able to use A2DP bluetooth audio streaming on my new 8V when it arrives anyway, making physical connectivity a moot point but I'd still like to know whether I can fall back on a physical connection and, of course, whether it'll work with the AMI in my current car.

better yet ust use usb or go android instead, why pay through the nose for an extra row of icons, which is irrelevant as you can folder everything

Not getting into a debate about phones, let's not go there :)

As for USB, I used to use SD cards before I had AMI but the problem was you just end up browsing the folder structure on the card so can only search your music one way. With the iPod connection you can browse by artist, album, genre and so on which makes life so much easier.

Not getting into a debate about phones, let's not go there :)

As for USB, I used to use SD cards before I had AMI but the problem was you just end up browsing the folder structure on the card so can only search your music one way. With the iPod connection you can browse by artist, album, genre and so on which makes life so much easier.

Yes I hit that shuffle button and 3800 songs here we go :laugh:

Ok, been doing some more reading.

It appears that the adapter does support analogue audio out. It incorporates a DAC to do this and this is possibly one reason why it's not cheap.

The "iPod out" which Apple mentions isn't supported doesn't refer to this, but rather a protocol which allows a dock or accessory to receive track names and information so it can display what's playing. My bad on this one - I presumed iPod out referred to the audio itself.

So we now have another question - does the AMI rely on this "iPod out" protocol to display track information or not?

We really need someone to try an iPhone 5 or new iPod Touch with the AMI to see what happens. I don't know if I'm prepared to take the risk or not just yet :/

Ok, been doing some more reading.

It appears that the adapter does support analogue audio out. It incorporates a DAC to do this and this is possibly one reason why it's not cheap.

The "iPod out" which Apple mentions isn't supported doesn't refer to this, but rather a protocol which allows a dock or accessory to receive track names and information so it can display what's playing. My bad on this one - I presumed iPod out referred to the audio itself.

So we now have another question - does the AMI rely on this "iPod out" protocol to display track information or not?

We really need someone to try an iPhone 5 or new iPod Touch with the AMI to see what happens. I don't know if I'm prepared to take the risk or not just yet :/

I'll try it. :p

Mine is all ordered and paid for from Apple. Be here Friday morning.

Awesome, please do let us know how it goes and whether it works fully with AMI using the adapter! :)

I think everyone's getting worried over nothing, as same discussions with a friend of mine, vag would of had the technical specifics of the new 9 pin connector ages ago to design either adapters or cables to suit, so I suspect it will be fine, maybe the adapters will come out bit after the 5, but I doubt vag will leave it standing with no solution, highly unlikely, so relax :)

Reactions: N8
I hope you're right but I'm afraid I don't have as much faith in VAG/Audi as you do.

How long did it take them to produce cradles for the iPhone 3GS and then the 4? They weren't exactly ready to go the moment the phones were released.

Still, like I say, I hope you're right and my fears are unfounded.

Cruiser69 - have you tried the new phone with the AMI yet?

Nope....

Apple didn't send out my converter with my iPhone 5 order.

Spoke to them and they are sending one out when a new batch comes in free of charge. Will let you know but I expect it will be a couple of days. I asked if it would work with the Audi AMI system and she didn't know. Nice confidence boost there!

Nope....

Apple didn't send out my converter with my iPhone 5 order.

Spoke to them and they are sending one out when a new batch comes in free of charge. Will let you know but I expect it will be a couple of days. I asked if it would work with the Audi AMI system and she didn't know. Nice confidence boost there!

I got my phone on Friday and was looking to grab an adapter to try in the A4 but they are sold out and don't expect any more until next week at the earliest so it's on hold for a while! :(