Chris NottVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

2005 3.2 upgrade speedo clocks and change from red to White bulbs? Speedo experts plz

Hi everybody,

I have a 2005 3.2 fitted with an s3 speedo with red lighting (must be older type)

I would like fit/fit: the speedo mph is out by 10mph depending at what speed your going and I also want to upgrade the colour to White (new s3 style)

Just wondering if anybody can give me some help or contacts which I'd be very grateful for.

Thanks for taking the time to read

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Contact Nigel (NHN) on here, he'll be able to help.

Your speedo should not be out by 10mph, something must be wrong...

Status
    I wonder if you can adjust the tyre circumference in VCDS, as if the car is running different sized wheels to what was on it from new it will misread.

I'm sure when I installed Navigation unit within the set up menus you had to set a tyre circumference figure, so worth checking.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aga54321 View Post
    Hi everybody,

I have a 2005 3.2 fitted with an s3 speedo with red lighting (must be older type)

I would like fit/fit: the speedo mph is out by 10mph depending at what speed your going and I also want to upgrade the colour to White (new s3 style)

Just wondering if anybody can give me some help or contacts which I'd be very grateful for.

Thanks for taking the time to read
    I don't understand...you changed the instrument cluster to a complete S3 instrument cluster? A picture would help me understand. Are your needles red or white?

Changing to white means white needles and changing the LEDs to white on the speedo and tacho of which there are 2 each. You can de solder and purchase new plcc LEDs. the procedure is as follows

How to remove / solder a PLCC LED for gauge / hvac work PICS - Scionlife.com

I must assume your DIS is red as well so kinda confused as to what look you are after as the DIS and other info will need to be changed to white too.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
    I don't understand...you changed the instrument cluster to a complete S3 instrument cluster? A picture would help me understand. Are your needles red or white?

Changing to white means white needles and changing the LEDs to white on the speedo and tacho of which there are 2 each. You can de solder and purchase new plcc LEDs. the procedure is as follows

How to remove / solder a PLCC LED for gauge / hvac work PICS - Scionlife.com

I must assume your DIS is red as well so kinda confused as to what look you are after as the DIS and other info will need to be changed to white too.
    From memory its an 8P2 cluster with red digit odometer / DIS, but white needles. I think he wants the ODO/DIS in white (not red), and the speedo calibrated.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    From memory its an 8P2 cluster with red digit odometer / DIS, but white needles. I think he wants the ODO/DIS in white (not red), and the speedo calibrated.
    Warren is my answering machine :D THANKS WARREN!

2nd Gear
    Hexxagon Champion

Status
    This is a mod ive looked into and from what i can tell depnding on the year its not a simple mod at all, on mine as its a 2004 i will need a new wire running from the back of the clocks to the fuel pump which also needs replacing for a newer unit. NHN has done this mod like others have said. Its easier on newer cars but he will know all the details which cars have what etc and what needs upgrading, canbus gateway is probably on the list too.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Thanks Warren, I needed an interpreter. So with that, I'm out. Sounds like a consultation is needed by Dr Nige, our resident Audi surgeon!