Anyone recommends Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG (2006) over Sline or/and other types (2006)?

Fanboy

An Audi Fanboy
Reaction score
Hi guys, currently have Audi A3 FSI 1.6 petrol and very pleased with the car so far, but looking for clutch-less car... but was wondering whether anybody has ever experienced any problem with DSG models on diesel or NOT?

I've already looked at YouTube for common problems of this model and some saying it's the DSG gearbox which must be maintained every 5k miles...

Any idea whether to look for one or shall I look for other types, please note that I'm not looking for racing types like s3/sline etc. it's for daily to work and bear in mind that I'm looking for more economical car with similar sort of 140~170 bhp

Already found a few DSG types reg. 2006 for around 7k and 30k ~ 40k mileage, FASH and 1 owner...

Mu budget is 7000 ~ 7500, and looking for reg. > 2006

Thanks in advance :)

I have a 2007 A3 TDI SE DSG (140bhp). Not read anything about DSG servicing every 5000 miles! Service intervals around 2 years/20,000 miles, with DSG oil change part of the larger services.

Done 18,000 since purchased, and only (annoying) ongoing problem is with the air-con!

Get between 50 mpg and 60 mpg on my daily commute, depending on traffic and speed.

I have a 2007 A3 TDI SE DSG (140bhp). Not read anything about DSG servicing every 5000 miles! Service intervals around 2 years/20,000 miles, with DSG oil change part of the larger services.

Done 18,000 since purchased, and only (annoying) ongoing problem is with the air-con!

Get between 50 mpg and 60 mpg on my daily commute, depending on traffic and speed.

Thanks for the reply mate, have you had any other types of A3, if so do you recon this type over other types?!? Cheers

We have a 170TDi DSG and it's brilliant. No problems what so ever.

The gearboxes need oil changing around the 40-60k mile mark.

Great! Nice to hear you're pleased with DSG gearbox... coz I never had one and obviously don't know anything about them, also I've never driven semi-auto cars, personally I don't feel comfortable driving automatic cars, but not sure if DSG has the similar sort of feeling/driving... obviously gear-shifting wise?!

prefer manual gearbox, but want to try something different and heard some good stuff about DSG gearbox, so not sure...?!? what do you guys recon?

I have had 3 Audi A3's over the years, 2 8L's and my current a 2006 A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-Line. I fully recommend the diesel with DSG, the gear box is great and when you want to the flappy paddle is a great piece of kit. When in town just flick to full auto and it makes for comfortable driving.
Don't rule out the S-Line as it is still a very comfortable drive and great as a daily.

Known problems include ;
Turbo and manifold to turbo
DSG mechatronics gearbox

There are more out there but those seem to be the most common. When buying go to a garage and get warranty. My manifold produced a fault within an hour of ownership, threw it back at the garage and had it repaired. The invoice came in at around £550 using genuine parts (from TPS).
Love driving it compared to a manual.

Great! Nice to hear you're pleased with DSG gearbox... coz I never had one and obviously don't know anything about them, also I've never driven semi-auto cars, personally I don't feel comfortable driving automatic cars, but not sure if DSG has the similar sort of feeling/driving... obviously gear-shifting wise?!

prefer manual gearbox, but want to try something different and heard some good stuff about DSG gearbox, so not sure...?!? what do you guys recon?

I have always said that driving should be in a manual car, nothing can beat downshifting, gearbox braking, toe heel etc etc etc

I bought DSG and unless I was going to drive on a track I would never go manual again. It has every option possible, long drives or traffic the full auto is brilliant. The country lanes that I love to hack down then the paddle shift comes into a world of it's own. I feel in better control using paddles rather than taking my hand off the wheel to change gear, and with the DSG system the gear changes are flawless

Good stuff :)
Thanks for all the replies, becomes very handy to know all of these stuff upon completing the transaction :)
Cheers

Ignore the S-line is comfortable nonsense, the sport suspension is hard, the S-line is worse, definately make your own mind up on some bad roads before you commit.

Thanks for the reply mate, have you had any other types of A3, if so do you recon this type over other types?!? Cheers
First ever Audi. Love the DSG :) Miles better than my Volvo it replaced, although rather slower than the TVR I had before that :scared2:

Ignore the S-line is comfortable nonsense, the sport suspension is hard, the S-line is worse, definately make your own mind up on some bad roads before you commit.

Nonsense? I actually find it really comfortable. It's firm yet refind. Sure, speed bumps arn't great but then I slow down for them and on long drives I actually need to concentrate to stay awake because I'm so comfy in my seat.
Definitely go for a test drive, but driving on bad roads gives a misrepresention considering you probably drive 80% good roads, 10% car parks and 10% 'bad roads'

Each to their own I guess

I have a 57 plate A3 TDi 140 SE DSG and so far no problems, very smooth to drive (after you get used the slight delay from standstill) and great fun with the flappy paddles. Pre 08 model years are far better spec'd in SE trim than the same age Sport or S-Line plus you get the softer suspension set up.

Economy is between 40 & 45mpg usually driving on country lanes, but has been known to occasionally hit the low 50's.

Definitely recommended over a 1.6 petrol with manual box!

Goodluck with that mate, don't want to put u off but to be honest when I had a test drive with dsg gearbox I founded more complicated than I thought, did u have a test drive...?!?

How much did u get it mate I'd u don't mind?

Cheers

How is the dsg complicated? You put it in D and drive around.

Goodluck with that mate, don't want to put u off but to be honest when I had a test drive with dsg gearbox I founded more complicated than I thought, did u have a test drive...?!?

How much did u get it mate I'd u don't mind?

Cheers

Surely mean it's just a bit "unfamiliar" rather than complicated? with any new tech you get used to it really quickly. As mentioned you can just use it like a traditional auto or use the paddles to shift playstation style if you wish.

I payed just over 7k with 1 years warranty will post up my thoughts as soon as I drive it home

You'll love it mate, had mine just over 2 months now... Thought I'd miss the old A3 but not one bit

Surely mean it's just a bit "unfamiliar" rather than complicated? with any new tech you get used to it really quickly. As mentioned you can just use it like a traditional auto or use the paddles to shift playstation style if you wish.

Yes that's what I meant, sorry for the misunderstanding! Of course it's easier to drive but for someone like me who has always been driving manual and nothing else... :(

Thanks c_w

I don't think it's s line but, has full leather interior with arm rest, climate, cruise control and parking sensors, will update more as I pick it up tomorrow after work